Meat Feeder

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On a river?
That's where I'd be most likely to use it, but I don't want to narrow the thread just to that. On a river I presume it's best when it's up and coloured. Still seems quite a positive way of fishing to me! Seen some videos of Dave Roberts doing it on the Wye.

Total

Site Supporter
That's where I'd be most likely to use it, but I don't want to narrow the thread just to that. On a river I presume it's best when it's up and coloured. Still seems quite a positive way of fishing to me! Seen some videos of Dave Roberts doing it on the Wye.
Of course this is your thread, but for the sake of the environment/water quality on/of our still waters, meat feeders probably best kept to rivers....(y)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If you want to add meat to the feeder and use meat on the hook then grate a tin or two into your groundbait.
It was a much used Winter League tactic on the Severn when there was a bit of water on.
A tactic I intend to try again at the end of the season.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If you want to add meat to the feeder and use meat on the hook then grate a tin or two into your groundbait.
It was a much used Winter League tactic on the Severn when there was a bit of water on.
A tactic I intend to try again at the end of the season.
It was a good tactic on the Trent too. Not used it for quite a while now though.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
I have used it in the past on the Wye and on still waters. I never used to but now l wash as much fat off. Push 2 tins through a riddle, 2 tins through a 6mm cutter but then put the loose 6mm cubes back through the cutter a couple of times to give you loads of irregular shapes. Mix the lot together and add hemp to suit. Use a 6mm or 8mm on the hook.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I grate a couple tins into my river groundbait through the riddle mesh just for a bit of extra smell / attraction.

spooky1966

Site Supporter
We used to use a version of a meat feeder at Decoy years ago, a small groundbait feeder with a tube at the bottom so you could thread it on the line (think middy made them) and in conjunction with a short hook length and hair rigged meat, only used to use 2 or 3 tins prepared very similar to how Godber has explained above. It could be deadly on its day, i actually did a article on it for one of the monthly magazines and shortly after i done that i won one of the mini festivals at decoy fishing it on the second day and winning with 197lb so yes it does work (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I was going to try putting a few small cubes through a feeder with other particles when I’m on the severn soon. No idea if it’ll make any difference but makes sense to try if I try it on the hook I guess.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
What do you reckon, is it overkill?
I'm not sure why you see it as 'overkill'. I've seen the same videos and Dave is using the meat feeder as a scent parcel for the barbel / chub to home in on. He doesn't appear to feed a lot as he pushes the meat into a Drennan Grippa feeder and he explains that there are times when he comes back with a fish on and some meat is still in the feeder. He's looking for the scent with the odd cube coming off it. I doubt he is feeding any great quantity of meat through it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've tried grating meat through a cheese grater to add to groundbait before and it works well. At least you get a nice texture of meat. It makes sense to use it as a scent trail, but could be overkill on a still water or if the meats coming out as too much feed?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
There is an underwater video on YouTube showing how the meat on its own doesn't actually come out of the feeder until you move the feeder on the retrieval

spooky1966

Site Supporter
I've tried grating meat through a cheese grater to add to groundbait before and it works well. At least you get a nice texture of meat. It makes sense to use it as a scent trail, but could be overkill on a still water or if the meats coming out as too much feed?
When i was fishing it Zerkalo on Stillwater's quite often you would retrieve the feeder with the meat still in it, in fact i used to pack it in quite tight as i was only looking for them to home in on the scent

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I use a meat feeder on the river, especially when it's up and coloured. I unashamedly copy Dave Roberts method/rig and have had great results with it.

I rarely use meat on stillwaters now even when allowed. However I did used to fish a meat feeder similar to the video below. But no linger chose to do so.

Also used to use Moondust (Blitzed meat mixed with dry groundbait along with a glug of Predator Plus) Very effective on the feeder as well as pole/waggler. Again this was probably 15 years ago before meat became a known problem.