Meat Cutters

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The map is much more versatile, I got 4,6,8 mm cutters, rather than just have one size ,if I want to use on the feeder or want small pellets for the hook on the pole , I just use the punches out of my Preston bread punch box 🤷‍♂️
Agree ,its robust and versatile ,but i have to buy extra tins ,i love it 😀

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter

Simon R

Site Supporter
Mate of mine will get three baits out of a standard tin of meat.
Size 6 hook, 8lb line straight through and freelined
Either bounced down the river or dropped under overhanging trees or rafts of rubbish
It's probably a better chub bait than for barbel but enables you to get a bait into spots you can't normally cast into.

Simon

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have both the Tilly and the MAP. Both have their uses but with the MAP having cutters of different sizes, I find it more versatile.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I found a MAP in a charity shop job lot and its worth it's weight in gold - never tried any others for comparison but I know Ii don't need anything else.

Quite like to use bacon grill as well as luncheon meat & will push it through a maggot riddle to mix in with groundbait as well as on the hook in cubes - the MAP copes with that nicely too

chris1967

Site Supporter
Not a rant, I will buy one, but anyone else think these are expensive?

I want to do some float fishing with meat on the Severn this year so going to get either a 4mm or 6mm one for the loose feed.

There's nothing stopping me just asking my dad to chop up a few tins of meat with a knife but one of these will be useful for me on the bank.

Another thing, the price of Luncheon Meat, I'm sure I used to be able to get it for under £1 and now it's all £2?
Ive had a map meat cutter ,horrible thing got sick of cleaning it so sold it on ebay. well today off work and boredom crept in and i happened upon this for a tenner ,i'll let you know what it's like the mrs already has something similar but sulks if i use it for fishing

s-l1600.jpg

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Had the MAP, Tilley and copies of the Tilley. The Tilley is great however if you stand the tins of meat in hot water for 5 minutes, the MAP is superb. Add the versatility of the blades and the fact you can just bung it in the dishwasher and I would have no hesitation in buying another one.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
had the MAP one but got rid of it for 2 reasons.

1st meat is banned on every water i fish
2nd i tried to push the meat through with my fingers! complete numpty moment and 1cm deep slashes to 4 finger tips, i was rubbing the meat through! how stupid is that and only realised when i saw blood dripping onto the diced meat

SeanB

Site Supporter
Just a thought but has anyone ever tried putting cheese through one?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
had the MAP one but got rid of it for 2 reasons.

1st meat is banned on every water i fish
2nd i tried to push the meat through with my fingers! complete numpty moment and 1cm deep slashes to 4 finger tips, i was rubbing the meat through! how stupid is that and only realised when i saw blood dripping onto the diced meat
🤡🤡

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I get my bacon grill and luncheon meat from either Tesco or B&M and occasionally find it for £1 on offer and buy a dozen or more tins.

I've got Tilley cutters in 4, 6 and 8mm and they've given me great service. Several pals have got the MAP cutters and they work perfectly. If I were in the market for a set of cutters to cut 4 to 12mm meat I'd go for a set of the MAP/Leeda simply as it would be a cheaper option than individual Tilleys.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A while back we had a discussion on the MAP cutter and the one thing that cropped up several times was people putting the blades in the wrong way round.
If they're put in back to front you are pushing against the blunt side of the blade, not the sharpened side. Also the plunger won't push through the blade with the meat as the blade is slightly out of line when fit in the wrong way round ;)

Worthwhile looking at the next time you use one if you are struggling with pushing the meat through and leaving a mess inside it.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
just to add to that, i always found riddeled meat much more effective though you cant use it via a catapult etc but always worth remembering

chris1967

Site Supporter
came today tried it out on a spud well impressed for a tenner even has a lift out basket so i can rinse meat off under tap

Attachments

• IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 19