Meat - a couple of questions

Silver fan 82

Which luncheon meat do you buy and where from? I rarely see it in supermarkets anymore.

Also, to hair rig or not to hair rig? I've heard with hair rigging it you get a lot of chub nicking it so it's better direct on the hook.
Good old fashioned Spam! From wherever really.

Silver fan 82

Which luncheon meat do you buy and where from? I rarely see it in supermarkets anymore.

Also, to hair rig or not to hair rig? I've heard with hair rigging it you get a lot of chub nicking it so it's better direct on the hook.
I always hair rig mine but then I usually use meat for carp and tench and find the bites are much more confident.

Silver fan 82

Thanks @Silver fan 82 that makes sense.
I read an article about this once. Cant remember where though, may have been Anglers Mail? They compared different meats on different catagories like colour, texture, buoyancy and how well they cast. I think Im right in saying that Plumrose and Bacon Grill came out tops.

Silver fan 82

Ralph swore by bacon grill
Yeah I mean you wouldn't have thought that different brands would make that much difference? But I guess we all have confidence in different brands no matter what the bait be it meat, sweetcorn or boilies whatever.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I have heard of people pouring boiling water over luncheon meat effectively blanching the fat out, before using. Does this make a real difference ?

Yep, I do this all the time now and have noticed a difference.
Meat is just about the worst bait you can use for trying to get it to behave how you want it to, by adding boiling water 2 or 3 times it gets rid of the fat and you will find it will sink straight to the bottom.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yeah I mean you wouldn't have thought that different brands would make that much difference? But I guess we all have confidence in different brands no matter what the bait be it meat, sweetcorn or boilies whatever.

There are some brands of meat that just don't do it for me. I use Plumrose because I found it stays on the hair better than most others. There are some I've tried that come off the hair on casting, even an underarm flick and it's come off. Some meats are too soft even when fridged and don't stay on the hook because casting pulls through the hook. Plumrose every time for me, be it luncheon meat or bacon grill.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I have heard of people pouring boiling water over luncheon meat effectively blanching the fat out, before using. Does this make a real difference ?
Watched a Jamie Hughes video the other day & he was doing this. Said it gets rid of the fat & sinks better. He rinsed it about three times.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Watched a Jamie Hughes video the other day & he was doing this. Said it gets rid of the fat & sinks better. He rinsed it about three times.

I've tried doing it and I found it makes the meat soft. Now that's fine if you're using the pole, but on the feeder rod it comes off on casting. The reason being is that the fat that binds it is no longer there and the hair cuts through the meat.

AdeB

Site Supporter
As meat can sink at different rates, sometimes staying buoyant at different depths, it can cause fish to be all over the show. I always rinse with boiling water, it certainly makes a difference.