Meat - a couple of questions

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Which luncheon meat do you buy and where from? I rarely see it in supermarkets anymore.

Also, to hair rig or not to hair rig? I've heard with hair rigging it you get a lot of chub nicking it so it's better direct on the hook.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Plumrose luncheon meat, it stays firmer for longer. I get mine from local freezer shop, Heron for 99p per can. Home Bargains and B&M also sell it, same price. I only hook it direct when on the pole, all other times I hair rig it.

Gwillim

CHIRA bacon grill from Lidl was about a quid a tin cuts really well as its quite firm so stays on the hook nicely when casting etc it also scored top in a luncheon meat review done by the Anglers Mail I think it was but that was several years ago so might be better options on offer now but was quite effective when I used it :)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Price gone up in Home Bargains to £1.09, B&M £1.15/19.

Never have hair rigged it but then I'm not fishing rivers.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Price gone up in Home Bargains to £1.09, B&M £1.15/19.

Never have hair rigged it but then I'm not fishing rivers.

Gone up?..sheesh, yet more to pay out. I hair it on still waters when using the tip, had some good catches too.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
I always get the Tulip luncheon meat, never managed to find Plumrose, then again i only go in Tesco really.

I use it on method feeder and tend to just pull a hair rigged bait band through it. When using quick stops i'll slice it and fry on one side to toughen it up before cutting into cubes.

Also on stillwaters, dying it red works a treat for tench and carp :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've got to get looking in some more supermarkets. Couldn't see any in Lidl and all Co-op has is Spam for £2.50 a tin. Thanks for all replies.

Hair rigging with a bait band sounds a good idea.

Feldy

Site Supporter
Bought a dozen tins in the week from Home Bargains, lady on the till says to me you going fishing I say yes, lady behind me in queue says I wondered why you were buying all that thought you had a bad diet, always hair rig meat but I generally fish big lumps.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have heard of people pouring boiling water over luncheon meat effectively blanching the fat out, before using. Does this make a real difference ?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I buy Plumrose in packs of six tins from Amazon. (Yes seriously).

The local farm shop has 'specials' every so often, that's when I buy luncheon meat in a case of 24. That way it works out at around 75p per can.