Me and the Fish

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
In this months TF magazine. Don't know where the reviewer gets "Inspiring" from as the term is never used in the book. I use the term " spark an interest"? Agree with the most part though.
20191124_131919.jpg

MarkW

As someone who has had half a dozen fishing books published, three on my own account and three jointly, and contributed to several more, and had reviews - mostly very good, all I can say is that if you can please some of the people some of the time then you're doing well. You'll always see the odd remark both in formal reviews and Amazon comments that make you wonder but as the adage goes, 'publish and be damned!'. I suspect most authors worry about how their 'baby' will fare and it's almost a relief when a book has sold out with no more reprints, time to relax and count the money (if you're lucky)!

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
As someone who has had half a dozen fishing books published, three on my own account and three jointly, and contributed to several more, and had reviews - mostly very good, all I can say is that if you can please some of the people some of the time then you're doing well. You'll always see the odd remark both in formal reviews and Amazon comments that make you wonder but as the adage goes, 'publish and be damned!'. I suspect most authors worry about how their 'baby' will fare and it's almost a relief when a book has sold out with no more reprints, time to relax and count the money (if you're lucky)!

What I find bemusing is the heading used as nowhere do I claim the book to be 'inspirational'. It is a memoir of my experiences. The two poems were written by MD's Mermaid and the late Frank Sawyer, both of which I think make entertaining reading to the "Average Angler". I agree with you in pleasing "some of the people, some of the time". None of it is of 'professional quality', but I enjoyed writing it which didn't take that long, I logged 112 hours. The photos are taken with my mobile phone as the action happened and they are not staged.
Generally though, I am happy with the review as I agree that half is "totally forgettable". BUT isn't that the case with the majority of angling literature. ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wow! - all I can say, not having read the book, is - who did you upset ?

:)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Wow! - all I can say, not having read the book, is - who did you upset ?

:)
Probably a lot of people:p I was careful not to mention any names haha. Some of the review is all right though.............isn't it?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair, all reviews are just that, reviews

One man's review doesn't necessarily mean it is the same for all.
I can't abide knitting and embroidery so wouldn't have any interest in a knitting or embroidery book, and my reviews on such might just reflect that :D

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
To be fair, all reviews are just that, reviews

One man's review doesn't necessarily mean it is the same for all.
I can't abide knitting and embroidery so wouldn't have any interest in a knitting or embroidery book, and my reviews on such might just reflect that :D
Isn't the majority of angling literature "totally forgettable"? The blogs and books I have read are. The only one that sticks in my mind is Isaac Waltons' The Compleat (Complete) Angler

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
As someone who toyed with the idea of writing a book this makes me glad I didn't. I chose to write what I wanted to say as a blog instead.

The difficulty in getting a publisher interested, the very small return for the effort involved, the possible poor reviews (were I lucky enough to garner such) plus my inability to devise a framework or thread holding chapters together meant the blog was an ideal way to go.

I am though looking forward to seeing my first angling article in print when Wellingborough's club magazine comes out next month.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Isn't the majority of angling literature "totally forgettable"? The blogs and books I have read are. The only one that sticks in my mind is Isaac Waltons' The Compleat (Complete) Angler
I'd have to disagree to a certain extent Mike... I'm an avid reader with 3 books on the go, (usually at the same time...) (at the mo "Chastise" by Max Hastings. Willow Pitch IV the Perch Edition. and "Dick Walker, The Legend" edited by Martin James) but two of the most unforgettable books I have read are fishing books,
"The Secret Carp" and "How to Fish" by Chris Yates.
Truly outstanding works by an accomplished author... He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's the whole point of it isn't it...? You please some, but not everyone, as you said yourself... if you manage to write a book and it gets into print you are always going to get the odd negative amongst all the positives... but at least you have that volume on your shelf that you can say "I wrote that"

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I'd have to disagree to a certain extent Mike... I'm an avid reader with 3 books on the go, (usually at the same time...) (at the mo "Chastise" by Max Hastings. Willow Pitch IV the Perch Edition. and "Dick Walker, The Legend" edited by Martin James) but two of the most unforgettable books I have read are fishing books,
"The Secret Carp" and "How to Fish" by Chris Yates.
Truly outstanding works by an accomplished author... He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that's the whole point of it isn't it...? You please some, but not everyone, as you said yourself... if you manage to write a book and it gets into print you are always going to get the odd negative amongst all the positives... but at least you have that volume on your shelf that you can say "I wrote that"
The books you quote are indeed master pieces unlike mine by my own admission, but many many others are indeed forgettable. People read and remember what they want to read and remember. I am more than happy with the review, at least he doesn't discredit the entire content, only the second half. Which incidentally, isn't half. But I guess most people will remember the last two words "totally forgettable". I am all for criticism as I am occasionally the first to criticise others, but I do wish the critics were accurate in what they write. The reviewer of my book even discredits the works of Frank Sawyers' previously unpublished 17 verse poem. Frank may not be known to many coarse anglers, but in the world of Fly Fishing he is known across the world for his books and invention of the Pheasant Tail Nymph and Killer Bug which are the go to flies of fly fishermen across the world.

Arry

Site Supporter
Can't odds folks mate... opinions are like bumholes...... everyone's got one

Arry

Site Supporter
Sadly not true. I came close to losing mine. :giggle: Those in the know call it a Barbie Butt. :poop:
okay... let me rephrase that, we are all born with one... a mate has a Stoma due to bowel cancer.. what happens later is in the hands of a doctor

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One book I've always fancied reading is 'maggot boy to millionaire' by Roger Surgay

However every time I look for a copy they are nowhere to be found