MD's southern Fur and Feather

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
yet again another year passes

been a funny old couple of weeks, didnt get out at all last weekend due to a poorly pup, Tuppence worth of black dog wasnt feeling well at all, visits to the vet, and generally keeping him warm and indoors out the bad weather perked him up, though the indignity of having his temprature taken ranked highly on his dont do that to me list

also found that he can remove the vets safety anti bite muzzle quicker than it takes to put it on

still, he seems to have his old self back and for a soon to be 84 (in dog years)year old beast is doing quite well

back to the subject

booked on the MD's southern F+F match, being held at Pittlands fishery on lake C this year

http://www.pittlandslakes.co.uk/

A fair few had originally put there names down and as so, we had the whole lake for the gig, though in the run up, numbers tumbled to just 10 fishing,

saturday morning dawned cold and frosty, I was up proper early, alarm rousing me at 4am, never actually went to bed, kipped in the big old victorian armchair downstairs with just a throw over me,

up then down the kitchen, on with the kettle, large mug of dark sweet java is soon up to my lips, the life giving liquid swilling around the mouth and then past the tonsils

Himself puts in an appearance around then, wanting his ablutions, just a quick let out in the yard this morn, then a tad of breakfast for him before he sneaks up the wooden hill to nestle in the warmth of the winter duvet, remarkably theres no moaning from the wench, shes taken to letting him have a bit of leeway since the poorly got him

three trips outside to the van, side door locks frozen solid, warming the key with a lighter and a quick squirt of WD soon sorts that, loading then scraping the heavy frost on all the glass takes 15 mins, felt the chill in my bones then, only having a hoody on

quick check on everything being there, another quick coffee and a fag, travel mug filled with the dark liquid and the trusty T4's engine bursts into life,

off over the hill to dodgy Dover first to collect the son in law JD, pulling up on the pavement outside his abode sees him ready to load his tackle, bit of fiddling and shoving around and we are ready to retrace our steps towards the M20

pretty clear, no real ice or holdups, though we just caught the tenterden bus in front of us as we turned off onto the old A28 for the cross country journey

better part of an hours sensible driving along the twisty bits saw us pulling into the fisherys car park in plenty of time for the draw

parking up, we soon made our aquaintences with a few new and old faces that gathered ready for the days competition, out with the tackle, trolleys and general gear saw a cocky robin fly into the back of the van and decide that as the north wind was blowing, this looked as good a barn as any to tuck his head under his wing and keep himself warm,

little bugger, stayed till we had right finished too, and then every door and the tailgate had to be opened to assist in his eviction,

gathering for the draw, Roy held up the bag, and as I like to get in early, was in there like linford, in went the paw though the first counter I was to pull out was for my brother Geoff who was still on the road 5 miles away,

out came peg 1, talk about a golden hand, best silvers peg on the pond, but alas not my peg ! back in and the number 28 showed in my sweaty, as I was soon to be informed a flyer for carp, only bettered by the next peg 29, but I had only entered the silvers pool and overall, lol, just my luck of late

on this venue, you get to set up first before nipping to the cafe for breakfast, as its not open till 9ish

just three kits today

2 with white 6-10 elastic, one set with a NG slim gimp 0.5 glass stemmed float, bulk shotted 18 drennan silverfish maggot sharp bit, set to fish dead depth at 6 sections out for anything that swims,

the other with a 0.8 NG finesse glass stemmed rig, olivette and droppers for fishing through the last 3 foot of depth

and the last kit was rigged with NG hollo core dark blue 4-8, hillbilly gazzunder 6 x 10 float plumbed to suit the margin and as a shallow rig if they came up in the water

baits were red, white live maggots, few dead reds, corn, and a slice or two of bread, feed was a mix of roach 3000 dark, with added crumb and a tin of frenzied hemp

setting up was painfull, the best aroma in the world was on the light wind coming from the cafe, bacon, purgatory it was to a hungry old git, never mind

geoff turns up and was pointed to his peg,

then off to the warm and dry cafe we toddled,

brekkie aint bad here, so I plumped for the mega, though after devouring it,the thought crossed my mind I coulda scoffed another of em, suitably fortified, the crowd slips out to wait for the whistle, (apart from Gillsmike, the 20 topkit and 5 rod man who got served last !)

on peg 29, I had anthony for company and on 31, Mark, so a bit of banter was gauranteed there, straight across was a new lad richard and next to him mike and roy, JD had drawn end peg 32 on the causeway

on the whistle out went a mix of red and white maggot to the front and a pinch or two to both margins, swinging a top 4 out the float settled in 5 foot of water, (needing another no10 stotz on it to get just right) and it sat there, and sat there some more, twitch and lift, and it sat there a bit longer, nothing,

back in and a red maggot was hooked on and the rig adjusted to 2 inches off bottom, out again, same result, nada !

half hour of lifting, dropping, feeding, twitching, 10 oclock, 12 oclock, 2 oclock line produced not a tremble Hmmmmm ???? what to do,

in, and a kit change, the guzzunder was swung into a likely looking spot 5 metres along the left margin, pinch a feed, half dozen reds floating down to drown in the icy cold water, nothing

half hour later, was that a bite ?, the ultra sensative stepped shoulder float dipped, lift and yes its on,

swinging in a tiny perch I hadnt blanked, and it looked like I was winning the whole bank, as no one else had had anything, patience michael patience

back again and the waiting game, 15 mins later, it buries, proper zipping under, laccies pulling and a swift fight shows a 4 oz redfin being swung in, well swung as far as my lap anyway as it fell off the hook there, then onto the bank and made good his escape back into the depths I coulda cried !!!

another half hour of trying produced zilch, picking up the heavy float kit, it was swung out to the 6 section line, and that just sat there too, tried punch, single maggie, even put a grain of the magic seed on, nothing

switched the shotting around, dropping the oli to just on the hooklength loop, and removing the dropper to refit it 3 inches from the hook, replumbing to have those 3 inches lying on the bottom, fitted a small pole pot to feed as tight as I could get to the bait, few seeds and half dozen mixed colour maggies were tipped right above the float and the waiting game began

was that a bite again ?, the bristle moved up, then went under, carefully lifting into it, revealed the unmistakable thump thump of a decent skimmer, carefully oh so carefully shipping in, I got down to the top two and had the net at the ready, only for it to come off just at the net, FFS !

thanks everyone for the kind supportive comments that were bandied across the lake for that, I love you too

got up for a pee and a cup of coffee, only to see mark (total) on next peg was into a fish, now Ive watched fellas play fish carefully, but this was an objective lesson in softly softly catchie carpy, how long he had it on for seemed an age and how long his laccie stretched was remarkable, but, and it was a big but, he landed it, proper carp, golden yellow from where I sat and a beast,

straight into pole posistion !

the rest of the gig passed, anthony on next peg had near given up and started packing the pole away with an hour to go, and flicked out a method instead, (in desperation as he had not even had a bite for 4 and half hours and mike was surely stealing his golden coin)

quarter hour left, I had had 6 bites, the perch, 3 tiny roach, the redfin I chucked back and the skimmer that had come off

when each peg either side of me was suddenly into fish, Ant had had a wrap round and looked to have a decent fish on, and mark had hooked another beast

talk about leaving it late

I gave up, started packing away, pulling the net out, the 4 tiny eyes and arses were put into a groundbait bowl for witnessing a non blank,

geoff came wandering up and was joined bt JD, how you do Jeffers I asked, fully expecting my tub of sardines had beat him for the coveted golden coin, But NO, the sly git had caught a carp on the feeder, and had kept really quiet about it, sneaky git !!!!, Jd had blanked, only 1 bite all day

both of us had to hand over a shiny one to the dodgy essex resident,

the weights overall are on the match thread, roy winning for the 3rd year in succesion, so old trevs trophy is now his forever (rather like the jules rimet and brazil)

back to the vans and the raffle for the ribaldry to commence, everyone had caught, apart from john, it had been hard, most only had one fish

bit like Ant, though that one fish battered Gillsmike and all the cruel taunts that had flown across the lake during the gig were suitably eaten as humble pie

was a very good day, fished to the ethos of maggotdrowning, thanks everyone for coming and see you again next year

[:T]

Last edited:

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
Note to Mick, when it is rock hard net everything!!

I did think about a late entry to this then I saw the weather report.

I dropped a 6oz roach back in the water last Wednesday, lucky I had 35lb of them after that[:p][:D]

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Nice one Mick[:T]

Have got to rethink the retention of the "jules rimet" trevor trophy...SWMBO hasn't stopped effing & jeffing at me since I walked back in through the door with it ![:I]

Total

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Anglingman

Nice one Mick[:T]

Have got to rethink the retention of the "jules rimet" trevor trophy...SWMBO hasn't stopped effing & jeffing at me since I walked back in through the door with it ![:I]

Roy just a thought![:D]....You could rename it "The Lost Fish attached to Blue Hydro when Legering" Trophy, and award it to Mike![:D]...Problem sorted![:D][:D][:D]

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
true[:T] I've had to tell him before about foul hooking and handlining[:p]

should have put that bit in the match report, did he actually give Trevor his float back ?[:0]

Total

Site Supporter
^^^
I don't think he did![:D]....But Trevor's sent Mike an invoice! [:D][:p]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great read Mick, it almost felt like I was there [:T]

gillsmike

Actually I did give Trev his float back, however the rig was a bit of a mess [:D]

Mick I don't even own 20 top kits [:D]
I promise I only set 4 up and the bomb rod. Not that I needed to set the pole up as it was a waste of time.
It's a shame that it's become so tough there, a couple of years ago it was producing some of the best winters sport in the area. It's amazing to think that there was probably more carp caught than silvers yet only two years ago a silvers match I ran on it produced only 3 weights under 15lb from the 12 that fished.