MDs Midlands Christmas Gathering - Jansons - Aubreys - 30/12/2018

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Maggotdrowners - Christmas Gathering - Jansons - Aubreys Lake - 30/12/2018

A hardy bunch gathered on Sunday for what could become the Inaugural Christmas gathering. To make it interesting we fished Aubreys again today which gave all anglers the chance to target the resident silvers or carp in the lake, with silvers contributing heavily to Gixer13s catch last time out.

Weather wise with 12 degrees in December and with a light wind, conditions favoured us and all anglers caught steadily without anyone ever really breaking away from the crowd. Scribe set the early pace on 22 which had won last time out and across the lake from me on pegs 2 - 10 landing nets steadily swept in and out. On our side of the lake it took little while to get started but eventually either small stocky carp or the chub and skimmers were being caught.

At the weigh in there was extra incentive for the father and son Fletchers, with Andrew coming out on top this time taking the section and bragging rights on the way home with 29.07 of mainly smaller carp. On the other side of the lake silvers guru Gutsy had managed to find a pocket of barbel and plundered them for the last hour to give him a section win with a very respectable 36.11 and good practise for the upcoming silvers league.

In terms of the top weights -

1st. Luke Downing - 48.03 - Peg 20
2nd. Jono Leivers - 38.09 - Peg 10
3rd. Gutsy - 36.11 - Peg 16

Jono caught long on maggot and to be fair had the most silvers across the match with a lovely net to contribute 17.12.

Ive not really fed all day and robbed either maggot, or white pellet along the far bank fishing about 8 different spots to catch 48 fish. With the lake so new the fish are still hugging the far bank and I’ve followed them up and down to 14.5m each side. Looking forward to seeing the lake develop into a cracking mixed fishery which by summer will be well established.

Happy New Year to you all and see you on the bank soon.

@Scribe @gixer 13 @Gutsy @bricky72 @Neil ofthe nene @notneeded @jononcb

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Midlands Christmas- Jansons 30:12:18- Results.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 33

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Thank you Luke for running the match ,had a nice day ,put faces to names and had some banter .Shock of the day was Neil of the Nene fishing long ? He did try to put Scribe off by walking up to him and making him loose a fish haha but his plan didn't work as Scribe beat him ,well done Kev .
Wishing every body a happy new year .

jononcb

Cheers Luke for running the match yesterday.
Was nice to get out on the bank again after a 6 week lay off due to needing a Hernia Operation.
Quick blog below of how i approached the match.
Might help some of You guys on Bricky's silver league this weekend!

Never fished Aubreys lake before but i knew it had a good head of Ide in as well as Stockie Carp chublets and skimmers.
So baitwise all i took was 2 pints of Red maggots. Didnt feed any groundbait or worm/casters

Pole Rigs were 0.2g Malman F1 Titans, (thin hollow bristle and wire stem).
Made up on 0.10 Garbolino line direct to a (New Pattern) Size 20 Prestons SFL-B hook. (fine wire)
Pole elastic was Matrix Slik 6-8 solid on both rigs (more like a stretchy 6 though)
First time i tried these PTFE coated hooks and first impressions were very good.
Hardly bumped a fish all day and hook points kept very sharp.
Worth a look if you like your silver fish venues!

After a quick plumb around i set up a line at 6 metres and a far bank line at 11.5 metres.
About 3ft deep at 11.5 metres and only slighty deeper on the short line.
Fed 2 medium toss pots of maggots on each line at start and went on the far bank line.
Took 20 mins to get a bite but eventually started catching small Ide and Chublets and the occasional Carp.
Tried toss potting in a dozen maggots every 10 mins but didnt seem to be working well.
Gutsy opposite me was doing well, catching more Carp by feeding a line and fishing it out.

Eventually settled on potting in 2 medium tosspot worth of maggots every 20 mins.
I did seem to hook a Carp straight after feeding the far bank line.
So they were definately coming to the feed.
Never had a bite on the short 6m line so gave that up after 3 hours.

My peg seemed to get stronger as the match went on with a dozen small Barbel coming out plus a 12oz Skimmer.

Fed a pint of maggots in total.

Ended up with around 15 Carp for 20lb and probably 100 Ide Chublets Barbel and a rogue Skimmer for 18lb odd.

Last edited:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Mucho thanks Luke for organising this and all the other matches this year, they are a genuine pleasure to fish with a great bunch of lads and not a door knob amongst them.

@Neil ofthe nene did you have a scaffold erected with the correct and up to date H&S Tags ? :LOL:

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Was nice to get out on the bank again after a 6 week lay off due to needing a Hernia Operation.

Never fished Aubreys lake before but i knew it had a good head of Ide in as well as Stockie Carp chublets and skimmers.
So baitwise all i took was 2 pints of Red maggots. Didnt feed any groundbait or worm/casters

Made up on 0.10 Garbolino line direct to a (New Pattern) Size 20 Prestons SFL-B hook. (fine wire)
Pole elastic was Matrix Slik 6-8 solid on both rigs (more like a stretchy 6 though)
First time i tried these PTFE coated hooks and first impressions were very good.

After a quick plumb around i set up a line at 6 metres and a far bank line at 11.5 metres.
Fed 2 medium toss pots of maggots on each line at start and went on the far bank line.
Took 20 mins to get a bite but eventually started catching small Ide and Chublets and the occasional Carp.
Tried toss potting in a dozen maggots every 10 mins but didnt seem to be working well.
Gutsy opposite me was doing well, catching more Carp by feeding a line and fishing it out.

Eventually settled on potting in 2 medium tosspot worth of maggots every 20 mins.

My peg seemed to get stronger as the match went on with a dozen small Barbel coming out plus a 12oz Skimmer.

Ended up with around 15 Carp for 20lb and probably 100 Ide Chublets Barbel and a rogue Skimmer for 18lb odd.

Good write up. I love that slik elastic, I was using the red until the last hour and kept pulling out then swapped to the green which is perfect. Used it last time but was too lazy to swap - bad angling!

Gutsy

Like watching a young Alan Scotthorne sat opposite you mate .

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Good write up. I love that slik elastic, I was using the red until the last hour and kept pulling out then swapped to the green which is perfect. Used it last time but was too lazy to swap - bad angling!

That's where I went wrong then used Maver Retro 6-10 throughout the match expecting one or two wobbly carp maybe I should have stepped down to a 4-6 silvers top kits and might not have pulled out of 4 fish straight from the all in. My new years resolution is not to moan so much, so I am getting it all in now. :LOL:

Gutsy

That's where I went wrong then used Maver Retro 6-10 throughout the match expecting one or two wobbly carp maybe I should have stepped down to a 4-6 silvers top kits and might not have pulled out of 4 fish straight from the all in. My new years resolution is not to moan so much, so I am getting it all in now. :LOL:

Top 1 with pulla and size 6 slip

gixer 13

Site Supporter
Well done luke and jono and the section winners another good day in good company drew next to not needed again so some good banter again. Nice watching scribe catching opposite me and looked like beeting me and tony till his peg died.

Gutsy

Yes it was neck and neck mate and I enjoyed the day and banter , I think when Neil got it sorted and started catching long it split my fish and I had to wait longer for bites in the last hour .