MD v England........The Aftermath

bryanh

Site Supporter
Sounds a very hectic, but enjoyable, lifestyle. I always wanted to be a writer but, unfortunately, it never happened. I must correct you though mate; my typing speed is 600 words per hour not minute. At 600 per minute my keyboard would burst into flames.

As an ex journalist you must have some amazing tales to tell and I for one would love to read them.[:T][:T][:T][:T]

Yes it was quite hectic Dave and while it was quite enjoyable it became quite a chore after a few years especially as I had a full-time job and the writing was just a part-time/hobby activity even though I had a press card which tended to open a few doors for me.

The main by-product of my scribblings was the development and promotion of coarse fishing north of the border. Over the years it changed from being an activity for small boys and exiled Englishmen, and despised by the game fishing fraternity to the popular and accepted branch of the sport which it is today.

There were some remarkable developments in the early days which included the introduction of big-time match fishing following the introduction of the Scottish Open Championship, which I organised on the Forth&Clyde Canal and which grew from a modest 100-pegger to a massive 500 peg event.

I'll rummage through the archives and tell the story of that one in due course.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bloody hell, sounds like the opposition are trying to nobble the team, May have to put out a Hospital Team at this rate.[:(]

In all seriousness hope the diagnosis enables you to be returned to rude heath ASAP Neil.[:T]

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Although not a match angler I read everything there is to read about fishing from Tope to tommy
ruffe, through the various blogs its almost as if you know people. Best wishes Neil of the Nene.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm still available for the team even though you might have to strap me to a scaffold board nailed to back of my box lol

Grappenall 57

Originally posted by warrington63

Originally posted by Grappenall 57

Originally posted by Dave Spence

I am planning another one where the team travel abroad.

I think Grappenall57 deserves a shot now so he will probably fish the next match.

I'll need some coaching from Neilofthenene, I've never greased me bristles. Also I'm possibly the worst feeder angler in the world!

Good thinking there Warrington63, but what about feeder fishing? Appleton Reservoir?
you could always try and practise with greased bristles on the canal at Hill Top Road or Ackers Pit, [:T]

Grappenall 57

Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Unfortunately I will have to withdraw from the team on the grounds of ill health.

Cardiac investigation Monday revealed a problem and I have been told not to go fishing until sorted (if it can be sorted).

As Wise Owl would say Fook It!

Good luck Neil lets hope you are back fishing soon. Two anglers I know have had treatment recently one had stenting to a major artery and one treatment for an irregular beat. They are both back fishing!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Hi Neil,

Keep thinking positive mate, hard I know in the wee small hours when your awake up after a few hours sleep.Just think how many pole rigs & hook lengths you could prepare, before you are back on the bank again

All the best [:T]

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter

Originally posted by warrington63

I think Grappenall57 deserves a shot now so he will probably fish the next match.

I'll need some coaching from Neilofthenene, I've never greased me bristles. Also I'm possibly the worst feeder angler in the world!

Good thinking there Warrington63, but what about feeder fishing? Appleton Reservoir?
you could always try and practise with greased bristles on the canal at Hill Top Road or Ackers Pit, [:T]
Appleton res or Wally Res as us locals have known it for years( its only FL who calls it Appleton in the WAA card, and he's from Runcorn)Would be ideal for feeder, good depth in there also if venue going to is weedy, have a practise on Grey Mist,
[:D]

Last edited:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter

Unfortunately I will have to withdraw from the team on the grounds of ill health.

Cardiac investigation Monday revealed a problem and I have been told not to go fishing until sorted (if it can be sorted).

Sorry to hear that Neil, I hope that you are sorted soon and able to get back on the bank.

If you wish to be included in the next MD Match I can write you in as 'fully fit and competing in Iron Man events' between matches.
[:D][:D][:D]

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that Neil, I hope that you are sorted soon and able to get back on the bank.

If you wish to be included in the next MD Match I can write you in as 'fully fit and competing in Iron Man events' between matches.

Write him in and i have to give him the kiss o life [:0][:0] Just in case we get proper famous and speilberg wants to make a film with the original cast [:D][:D][:D][:D][:X][:X]

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Wise Owl

Write him in and i have to give him the kiss o life [:0][:0] Just in case we get proper famous and speilberg wants to make a film with the original cast [:D][:D][:D][:D][:X][:X]

Tongues??? [}:)][}:)][:D][}:)][}:)]

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Thanks lads. The panic has subsided a bit now. But I'm still doing nothing strenuous until I get the OK.

bryanh

Site Supporter

Oh dear, I see a major problem looming; you're gonna need an official team translator to aid the communication process; I reckon Wise Owl would be the ideal candidate and lets face it, his Yorkshire/French translations would be priceless. You know it makes sense,Mange-Foooking-too Rodney.[}:)][:D]

rodring

I too will have to withdraw from this fictional team and upcoming fictional match. Due to my new found fictional celebrity status I have been selected to a appear on Celebrity Big Brother , I'm a Celebrity get me out of here, Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice, Celebrity Juice,Celebs go Dating and I have also been asked to host a special edition of Question Time .I apologize to my millions of fans but I'm cashing in while I have the chance.