MD Midlands - Pork Pie III - New Territory Saturday 2nd October 2021

Added to Calendar: 02/10/21

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@notneeded @Gixer I wouldn't have it any other way. The Pork Pie Match has turned out to be exactly what I wanted a not too serious match, with lots of laughs & banter, a chance for members to get together in the true MD Spirit & some cash raised for a worthy charity. Last year has demonstrated that comradeship matters, it can help get you through the tough times.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
@Scribe did you manage to go and fish the venue on Sunday, as you mentioned? If so its time to spill the beans mate 👍

Scribe

Site Supporter
I did I will do a write up later......

IanG1

Site Supporter
Can I be added to the list please, be a nice follow on from the Trent match in July so hopefully know a few faces.

Thanks

Scribe

Site Supporter
Quick write up on my visit to Lakeside Sporting.

Bit of a late start on Sunday arrived at 10:15 Hrs there was a match on the carp lake, which has carp ip to Mirror & Common Carp up to 16 Lb. I managed to speak to the Match winner who said it fished hard on Sunday maybe due to the recent frosts, the wiining weight was 74 Lb. he fishes this lake a lot in various matches and it fishes well through the Winter, so early October you will be fine he said. Incidenatlly my club 's local match down the road on Sunday was won with 72.11 so seems about right.

There are no platforms on eithet lake, all fishing is done from the bankside with inlaid slabs although we may need to jig around some of the pegs to get keepnets in.

There were a few fishing the mixed coarse lake most using single or two carp rods / bite alarms, whch I found odd for a general mixed fish lake. I mean it's not like the carp are big, the largest I saw would be 8 - 10 Lb. Having sold my 16 M Pole I decided as it was going to be a warm day that the Waggler might come in to it's own, well you live and learn on that one. I took some 6 mm & 8 mm pelllets, sweetcorn and maggots as I thought that should give a broad range to try. I used a 4 AA Waggler on 4 Lb line to a pre-tied Drennan wise gape 16 hook to start on double maggot. My thinking was that this might work for a larger stamp of silverfish or a carp so hedged my bets. Tried sweetcorn, 6mm expander switched to banded hair rig and an 8 mm pellet with no joy.

It became obvious as the day wore on that this approach wasn't going to work so changed it PDQ. Smaller waggler and dropped down to a size 18 hook and single maggot. At 5 metres I was bites from small roach and even two Gobies, now I haven't caught a Goby since I was a kid so was nice to be reminded how lovely these mini barbel are. Fishing further out I was catching a better stamp of roach.

The carp were cruising on the top early and I notcied that instead of coming from deeper water in to the margin they were patrolling around the perimeter of the lake in very shallow water. Around mid afternoon as an experiment I chucked a handful of maggots in at my feet and the carp soon congregated stirring up the mud digging them out, they must have had every maggot except the one that had a hook attached. In the shallow clear water I saw a carp approach the baited hook until it got close and bolted, so not for the first time I wish I had my pole with me and a Drennan clear dibber with a pellet or banaded maggot as I could of had a chance, but not on waggler as close in as I could get.

Some pics.

Mixed Coarse lake - Pics 1408 - 1410
Carp Lake Pivs 1411 -1414

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg