MD’ers Glebe Match 4th July

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
Best to keep up to date on the Mallory Park Fisheries FB page Chris. Glebe gets booked up well in advance so if we want a Saturday or Sunday next year I’d best move quick.

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
Best to keep up to date on the Mallory Park Fisheries FB page Chris. Glebe gets booked up well in advance so if we want a Saturday or Sunday next year I’d best move quick.
I’m definitely up for the next one Ian, a Saturday would be great if possible. Don’t think you’ll have much trouble filling it👍👍

AFletcher22

Thanks for organising Whisker, nice days fishing made better by not getting soaked to the skin!
Caught a couple on feeder over the far side, short pole and bomb and pellet in the middle, alternating after 1 or 2 on each line.
Eventually they settled on bomb and pellet line after feeding a bit heavier. A couple of carp for 16lb in last 20 mins from margin proved decisive.
Deffo up for another go at the Glebe again

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Scribe your a complete duffer ! :bash: Thought I would start my mini report for a yesterday with a bang.

It was all there for me a really good peg and had I not been a stubborn mule I could have even used a third keepnet (Gasp !) Maybe it was a hangover from an aborted day on the feeder at Ferry Meadow and a not so great day at the MD Burton Joyce again on the feeder, but I got it stuck in my head I wanted to catch one on the feeder. @chefster gave some good advice before the start of the match 'aim to drop a foot away from the marker on the far bank.' The problem was it reaching that far I just find I am more accurate casting a 2 LB T/C Barbel Rod than a much, much lighter feeder rod with 45g weight on it.
Not owning an out and out commercial carp feeder rod I decided my newly acquired Daiwa AWL1113 would have to be pressed into service.

I did manage to get a good few casts into the zone resulting in two hookpulls and two snapped hooklinks. On hearing after the match that others were experiencing the same problem I didn't feel too bad. Now as an out and out amateur when it comes to feeder fishing I am going to put this out there, just so I can learn from the more experienced feeder experts on here,

I had the feeder on a snaplink swivel at the end of the mainline with the hooklength attached to the same swivel as per the Andy Kinder video.
Now who am I to question Andy Kinder, but it would seem to me that the hookling is in danger of being damaged by the feeder when a carp runs.
I would have preferred it with a free running feeder with the hooklength covered by a sleeve, giving more of a boom effect.

Anyway back to the match I persevered with the feeder for far too long (4 hours o_O) before admitting defeat. After wasting so long with only a small perch to show, I had seen Ian @Whisker netting a few and in my head I thought my match was all but over and there would be no catching up.

Reached for the pole and going on a 2 + 3 line (yes I know it's normally 2 + 2, but I was curious) :D The old double tipping of the pole pot worked a treat within 2 minutes I was into a carp. I haven't used the pole much in the last 12 months, but my word it took a lot of stripping of elastic on the puller and dipping the pole tip underwater to contain the carp and get them subdued enough to get in the net. Back out and same again = same result, now I am beginning to enjoy myself. Back out and a skimmer bream is in the net to join a lone perch. Now rightly ot wrongly I assumed the skimmer had got to the bait, because there were no carp about. Had a look in the margin that had been sporadically feeding throughout the match. 6mm banded pellet on the hook dropped off the bank and drawn back until the float was about 2 Ft from the bankside 6 pellets fed and straightaway there is an indication followed by elastic streaming out. That was me for the next hour, happy as a sandboy.

As I was duty scalesman for the lake I decided to pack in early figuring that despite a good run of carp in the margin that could well of continued the much better anglers on the lake (read all of them :ROFLMAO:) would have fared a lot better than myself.

Had I stuck at it who knows I might even had managed a third place and an un-heard of use of a third keepnet ! If ever there was a match that I could go back and do all over again it was yesterday's. That said it was a great day as are all of the MD matches I have attended, simply because of those that were there, it's you lot that make it such an enjoyable day, so thank you Whisker for organising it and everyone attending.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Scribe your a complete duffer ! :bash: Thought I would start my mini report for a yesterday with a bang.

It was all there for me a really good peg and had I not been a stubborn mule I could have even used a third keepnet (Gasp !) Maybe it was a hangover from an aborted day on the feeder at Ferry Meadow and a not so great day at the MD Burton Joyce again on the feeder, but I got it stuck in my head I wanted to catch one on the feeder. @chefster gave some good advice before the start of the match 'aim to drop a foot away from the marker on the far bank.' The problem was it reaching that far I just find I am more accurate casting a 2 LB T/C Barbel Rod than a much, much lighter feeder rod with 45g weight on it.
Not owning an out and out commercial carp feeder rod I decided my newly acquired Daiwa AWL1113 would have to be pressed into service.

I did manage to get a good few casts into the zone resulting in two hookpulls and two snapped hooklinks. On hearing after the match that others were experiencing the same problem I didn't feel too bad. Now as an out and out amateur when it comes to feeder fishing I am going to put this out there, just so I can learn from the more experienced feeder experts on here,

I had the feeder on a snaplink swivel at the end of the mainline with the hooklength attached to the same swivel as per the Andy Kinder video.
Now who am I to question Andy Kinder, but it would seem to me that the hookling is in danger of being damaged by the feeder when a carp runs.
I would have preferred it with a free running feeder with the hooklength covered by a sleeve, giving more of a boom effect.

Anyway back to the match I persevered with the feeder for far too long (4 hours o_O) before admitting defeat. After wasting so long with only a small perch to show, I had seen Ian @Whisker netting a few and in my head I thought my match was all but over and there would be no catching up.

Reached for the pole and going on a 2 + 3 line (yes I know it's normally 2 + 2, but I was curious) :D The old double tipping of the pole pot worked a treat within 2 minutes I was into a carp. I haven't used the pole much in the last 12 months, but my word it took a lot of stripping of elastic on the puller and dipping the pole tip underwater to contain the carp and get them subdued enough to get in the net. Back out and same again = same result, now I am beginning to enjoy myself. Back out and a skimmer bream is in the net to join a lone perch. Now rightly ot wrongly I assumed the skimmer had got to the bait, because there were no carp about. Had a look in the margin that had been sporadically feeding throughout the match. 6mm banded pellet on the hook dropped off the bank and drawn back until the float was about 2 Ft from the bankside 6 pellets fed and straightaway there is an indication followed by elastic streaming out. That was me for the next hour, happy as a sandboy.

As I was duty scalesman for the lake I decided to pack in early figuring that despite a good run of carp in the margin that could well of continued the much better anglers on the lake (read all of them :ROFLMAO:) would have fared a lot better than myself.

Had I stuck at it who knows I might even had managed a third place and an un-heard of use of a third keepnet ! If ever there was a match that I could go back and do all over again it was yesterday's. That said it was a great day as are all of the MD matches I have attended, simply because of those that were there, it's you lot that make it such an enjoyable day, so thank you Whisker for organising it and everyone attending.
Well done yesterday @Scribe 🎣🎣💪💪

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
If it helps scribe I have mine free running down to a twizzled boom at the end of the boom I put a loop in first before twizzling for hook lengths , I don’t use them quick change jobbies for the hook lengths

Scribe

Site Supporter
@chefster thanks Gaz I have a habit of doing a walk around during a match, just to see how everyone is getting on and wish I had put the feeder down and done just that. I would have realised getting on the pole was the only sane option and I was in with a chance of a result. Thnaks for the advice pre match was good of you that. (y)

Scribe

Site Supporter
If it helps scribe I have mine free running down to a twizzled boom at the end of the boom I put a loop in first before twizzling for hook lengths , I don’t use them quick change jobbies for the hook lengths
Thanks Chris I would have used a similar setup that I use for my Barbel fishing running rig kit. Had thought of twizzled boom more for distance bream fishing, hadn't associated it's use when commercial feeder fishing.

Richy the perch

Formerly TRFC2000
Site Supporter
As previously said thanks whisker for yesterday and all the hard work organising a fishing event 👍 thanks to Stewie74 for the few drinks on the Sunday night 🍺👍I won't bore people with my methods on the day as most people know in MD its usually wrong lols. Said to the wife tonight knowing my luck I will get Matt, Trevor and Stewie 74 in my section at Alders her response the way u fish my darling stevie wonder would beat u in your section 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 currently looking for a new pole and WIFE

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
As previously said thanks whisker for yesterday and all the hard work organising a fishing event 👍 thanks to Stewie74 for the few drinks on the Sunday night 🍺👍I won't bore people with my methods on the day as most people know in MD its usually wrong lols. Said to the wife tonight knowing my luck I will get Matt, Trevor and Stewie 74 in my section at Alders her response the way u fish my darling stevie wonder would beat u in your section 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 currently looking for a new pole and WIFE
Give my regards to Hyacinth mate 😂😂

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
@chefster thanks Gaz I have a habit of doing a walk around during a match, just to see how everyone is getting on and wish I had put the feeder down and done just that. I would have realised getting on the pole was the only sane option and I was in with a chance of a result. Thnaks for the advice pre match was good of you that. (y)
And yet the bulk of my weight came on bomb and pellet.