maybe a stupid question!!!

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
I am a newbie to this site so please bear with me.. I bought two brand new Harrison advanced rods. One 13ft spliced tip GTI match and one Evolution match rod from a local tackle shop which was sadly closing down. I emailed Steve Harrison who explained the difference between these rods and I use the Evolution and a superb rod it is. My question.......I am a traditional angler using methods learnt in the sixties/seventies, When I resumed fishing some 8 years ago I was badly ‘maced’ by a total tw*t of a local (not the decent tackle shop who has closed) but another tackle shop which is still open (there’s no justice). Basically this person told me that traditional angling was dead and everyone used pole,pellet waggler, quiver tip rods etc etc. My question would it be worth trying to sell the GTI old stock but brand new or should I just leave it in the shed?

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you are intending to do any running water fishing I would certainly hang on to the GTi it is a very good stick float rod and would also make a nice silvers waggler rod

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
He's only telling you that to buy the expensive stuff. have you tried the GTI yet? Good for the stick float.

Ooops, sorry @nejohn, posted at same time.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Got to agree with those above. It's a very good river rod and won't do to bad on still waters but it isn't a carp rod.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I must admit to being confused about what rods you have and what you want rid of and why.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Perhaps it is me but i would hang on to it. In 30 plus years of fishing the wheel just turns and things come back. Wish I had bought a DAM tectron/futura in the day, reckon they could do a better job on the canals than the newer models.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d definitely hang onto them if I were you. A good float rod is still the most important bit of kit everyone needs to have in my opinion. That shop owner is talking poo, there’s still a thriving scene on rivers and more natural stillwaters in the right parts of the country for which you still need the same types of rods as ever, just modern equivalents have come about.

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
The Evolution is a spliced tip match rod. According to Steve Harrison it differs from the GTI being able to fish super light lines and hook lengths whereas the GTI can handle low weight lines at the lower end and much higher BS at the higher end (up to 4/5lb BS). The Evolution 3lb BS at the top end. I use the Evolution for stick float and light waggler fishing. I really have no need for the GTI. I would like to sell it to a traditional angler who will use it and appreciate it. I am not wanting to make any money on this rod I just want what it cost and having the satisfaction that it will be cherished. Does that make me sad? I hope not. Excepting the Evolution ALL my other rods have been hand built by Anglers Workshop
N u L and Kevin suggests that selling this rod to a Traditional Angler is the way to go.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Traditional angling is dead my backside. I don't think so. What a load of rubbish. Try getting on our local natural waters mid summer and tell me that traditional angling is dead. I agree with Ukzero1. He's having you over. It's a lovely rod. Hold on to it. As my nan used to say .... It's not eating owt is it ? ?

solwood

Site Supporter
The harrison GTi is a lovely rod my favourite river rod especially with lighter lines.

In fact I also have a MAP Dave Harrell spliced tip, based on the same blank

John Step

Site Supporter
People are counting their pennies to get a light line rod like that called Drennan Acolyte ultras when they can afford them. Yours if as good at light line fishing as I think is definitely something to hang onto.
That dealer is talking through his ar$e.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I had an Evolution when they first came out. Used it a lot on the Ribble. Superb rod it was, can't think why I ever sold it.

solwood

Site Supporter
The Harrison GTi will sell quickly and easily

If I were you I would keep it as it will give you a rod with slightly more backbone when needed. It's not just a river rod. The spliced tip improves line pickup when trotting, making it better than many rides for that style. That doesn't make it a bad waggler rod it's great at that too.

I tried several light float rods and sold both
Acolyte ultra, drennan matchpro keeping the GTi

How much would you sell the GTi for a more modern build appeals (mine is years old)