Maxima Chameleon for hook length?

Imperium

Just loaded up my waggler set up with chameleon and got me thinking - does anyone use Maxima Chameleon for hook lengths due to its ‘invisibility’ attributes? As it’s meant as a mainline I’m not sure what the pros and cons would be of using it as a hook length

SeanB

Site Supporter
Funny you asking that, I was thinking something similar the other day. Some of the old pre tied hook lengths I have are tied on chameleon or green force line, yet I think pretty much everyone uses clear lines now. Made me wonder whether it really makes much difference or are we all being duped into the latest trend.

Imperium

Funny you asking that, I was thinking something similar the other day. Some of the old pre tied hook lengths I have are tied on chameleon or green force line, yet I think pretty much everyone uses clear lines now. Made me wonder whether it really makes much difference or are we all being duped into the latest trend.
I’ve really never noticed much difference in the lines I use - I’ve got some unbranded stuff on my main reel that I use for feeder fishing and it’s honestly been faultless. I think it’s all marketing and the latest trends etc too but always thought chameleon would make sense as a hook link given its light absorption properties

richox12

No reason why you can't but don't expect it to be invisible etc. Put a few coils in a jar of water and see.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
It is simply that why use a thicker hooklength line than you need to and is available. Might be ok for laying on and leger rigs. The same reasoning applies to hooks. Why do we try and use the smallest, finest wire, we can get away with. Why use several smaller shot rather than one large one.

We try and make our tackle and rigs with as much finesse as we can and over time we have discovered that the more we do this the more we catch. Evolution and technical advances mean that we have worked out that Chamaeleon is not the best hooklength line in most circumstances.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
For years I’ve used chameleon for my mainline and n-gauge for my hooklengths but I’ve been fishing one of our club lakes recently which is packed with bream. The only problem with this lake, if you can call it a problem, is that It contains quite a few carp well over 20lb. They have taken my bait on a number of occasions but always snapped me off on my hooklengths. Last time I fished there I decided to fish chameleon straight through to the hook with no additional knots or links. I didn’t get any carp although they only take a bait occasionally anyway. It didn’t seem to deter the bream though and I had a good session so I guess it’s fine as a hooklength. I probably wouldn’t use it if I was scaled down fishing for roach on a small hook and I’ve never tried it in less than 5lb bs. Other than that it seems fine.