maver s4 z frame seat box

wse1961

I have just purchased the maver z frame and this is my review. Out of the box it was easy to put together and looked great. my choice was white with the front two draws. The foot plate has no non slip plastic coating, just metal and may be cold on the feet in winter.and slippery. It felt light but of course it was empty. the frame seems strong and so does the draw and winder unit. The supplied winders are strong but all come in one size and colour without a side slide bit to connect the loop to, so winder anchors will be needed. You may have seen the bump bar with its unusual pole support recess. I was worried about this breaking the pole in windy conditions, but its made from a softer material than it looks. I have not used this yet so still not sure as it may not be practical when fishing more than one line. It also comes with a side tray and my initial thoughts were cheap and nasty. Im beginning to change my mind about this. I like the way it can be positioned slightly forward of the box meaning your not reaching behind feeling for bait blindly. The supplied umbrella and net arm again seem a bit cheap not as good as the preston range Im using. Fortunately the preston stuff fit the 30mm legs on this box. I use the 4 wheel preston trolley and the z frame does fit on this but it does rock a bit. I intend to fit a couple of bits of 2x1 timber on the trolley to stop this. so to sum it up, a fab looking well designed box with on box fittings that I'm not sure of yet. If the ice melts tonight I'm taking it for its first match tomorrow and I'm expecting some stick about the bling colour. I will report back once I have used this a few times. I think I'm going to like it a lot. I hope this helps
UPDATE
Well we broke the today at Lake John and the box sat nicely on the peg nearly ready for the off and i placed the pole in the recess on the bump bar and the pole tip was in the water so I lent forward to lift the bar up. Then i found out that I had not tightened the leg adjustment up tight enough. SPLOSH I fell straight in with the box following me in along with the bait that was on the side tray. I also managed to break two sections of my 801 pole. As i stood in the iced water up to my gentlemen's sausage much laughter rang around the lake. So the first outing of the new box taught me a lesson. Its even more important to make sure the legs are tight when there is only four of themNot a good start..

Last edited:

kahuna

Sounds like a great buy cheap and nasty attachments and the leg clamps don't work. Think I'll stick with my matrix.

Last edited by a moderator:

0lly

Not sure where he said the leg clamps dont work? Hardly a fault of the box if you fail to tighten them correctly.

wse1961

I would like to point out that the leg incident was completely my fault, the box did take quite a tumble and came out without any damage. I also would like to mention that there is plenty of storage on the box. As I stated earlier the side tray does seem a bit cheap and I ordered a new tray without giving the supplied one a chance. But I think this was a mistake. Not had it long but I do like it a lot so far.

gaz r

looks the same as quad box to me, which i own and imo best box ive used, and that includes rive, matrix, octbox etc, the colours look smart to, if i needed a new box i would def look at the maver.

Chris K

I found the legs a little hard to clamp tight when I looked at these in the shops. Wasn't convinced.

oakley

The new maver boxes use the same legs as the new quad box, and when I tested them both you have to over tighten them and still they can give way, Not a good design.

lavo-1

From an engineers point of view, the less point of contact you have with the ground will mean that the structure is less stable. You found this out the hard way. Many times I have failed to tighten up a leg on my 6 legged box, which has resulted in a minor dip in the set up, but with a quad box/Maver Z box this becomes a major problem.
A product with design over functionality.
When buying a box, think with your head and not with your eyes.

Last edited:

wse1961

After my dip in the icy water I was concerned about the four leg design, I have since set the box up tightened the legs properly and carefully stood on the foot plate no problem and I'm about 16stone i even jumped up and down a bit, again no problem. A six leg box must be safer, there can be no doubt but the four leg is quicker and lighter. It is from the same manufacturer as the quad box (its basically the same) and I asked a couple of guys who have the quad and they loved them. I will report back once I've had this a while and give you my honest opinion. There is a photo on the lake John web site. there twitter account is a good one to follow. very up to date and funny

clfletch

Originally posted by lavo-1

From an engineers point of view, the less point of contact you have with the ground will mean that the structure is less stable. You found this out the hard way. Many times I have failed to tighten up a leg on my 6 legged box, which has resulted in a minor dip in the set up, but with a quad box/Maver Z box this becomes a major problem.
A product with design over functionality.
When buying a box, think with your head and not with your eyes.

Not true. The instability came from the clamp slipping, not the number of legs. My rigger platform has four legs and is rock solid. Oil rigs have four legs!

turnerb14

I got one the other day, absolutely solid box, 4 legs make it lighter and more stable as its easier to adjust 4 legs than 6, only problem is its too high off the ground for me, as i sometimes like to put my feet to the side when fishing the long pole

Kevsmith

the seat seemed to be way too small when I sat on one. Considering the box is very large there didn't seem to be much storage, and I didn't like how high off the ground it was.
Style over substance.

wse1961

Ok I fished the lake john match again today as as you would imagine got some abuse about me falling in. I was a bit nervous about the day and made sure I tightend up the legs up properly. I even set up a bit back from the edge. The box sat rock tight. I tend to fish with my right leg of the side of the box. This box is a bit high for this. I also found my line caught on the of the supplied box fittings quite a lot. I still think this box will be a winner for Maver. Its a great box despite my concerns

MOGZ

Stupid question but how is the frame strengthened at the front as you have no legs in the middle when the footplates extended

lavo-1

How does having four points of contact give you more stability than six?
Oh and for the lad quoting that oil rigs have four legs, then thats true for a PLATFORM with the centre of gravity in the middle ie the Derrick, but if it is a platform with an external accommodation block then they can have six or even eight legs.
I'm sure the box design is stable when properly secured and I hope you don't suffer any more miss-haps.

Originally posted by turnerb14

I got one the other day, absolutely solid box, 4 legs make it lighter and more stable as its easier to adjust 4 legs than 6, only problem is its too high off the ground for me, as i sometimes like to put my feet to the side when fishing the long pole
[:T]

wse1961

Originally posted by lavo-1

How does having four points of contact give you more stability than six?
Oh and for the lad quoting that oil rigs have four legs, then thats true for a PLATFORM with the centre of gravity in the middle ie the Derrick, but if it is a platform with an external accommodation block then they can have six or even eight legs.
I'm sure the box design is stable when properly secured and I hope you don't suffer any more miss-haps.

Originally posted by turnerb14

[:T]

I agree six legs must be more secure, But Im sure if you do tighten the legs the four leg system is fine. At least I hope so. I promise that once I've used this box for a month or two I will give it my honest opinion warts and all. I have nothing to gain or lose. As for the guy who said not enough storage. I had a space station the large one with an extra tray, the z4 box has much more storage

Kirtons

Site Supporter
This is carbon copy of the new quad box as far as I can see.also being marketed at a more expensive price.not a criticism just an observation. Ive had a look at a couple of the original quad boxes and thought they looked good.

Originally posted by Kirtons

This is carbon copy of the new quad box as far as I can see.also being marketed at a more expensive price.not a criticism just an observation. Ive had a look at a couple of the original quad boxes and thought they looked good.

I've had the new Quad for 3 months now
superb box. Light, plenty of storage.
Very stable. Quality.

mark777

Fosters have the maver box 70 cheaper than the quad so how is it being marketed more expensive.Also Maver box comes with free accessories making it a sweeter deal as well. Most things in fishing now are copies of existing products.