Maver Oculus 999 XS

Jurgiaushas

Looking for my first silverfish pole, my budget is under 1.5 grand. Would be great to choose from Maver range, since I am getting super deals for the brand. So as the title says my focus is on new Oculus. Would it be any good for an occasional silverfish match, maybe some flat float fishing in continental rivers? No Commercial fishing, no carp. As I understand the top kits of the oculus are more carp orientated, am I correcect here?

Dusty

Site Supporter
I think you will struggle to find many out and out silverfish poles on the market anymore as so many are marketed for commercial carp fishing.

You could look at one of these but will stretch your budget.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
For the money the Oculus is as good a pole as any out there for silvers and heavy duty flatfloat river work , it’s robust, light,stiff,Teflon joints, and mavers aftersales service is excellent

big Bobby

Looking for my first silverfish pole, my budget is under 1.5 grand. Would be great to choose from Maver range, since I am getting super deals for the brand. So as the title says my focus is on new Oculus. Would it be any good for an occasional silverfish match, maybe some flat float fishing in continental rivers? No Commercial fishing, no carp. As I understand the top kits of the oculus are more carp orientated, am I correcect here?
Hi

big Bobby

Hi i bought a maver enigma 301 very responsive and stiff, weighs 585gs at 11 mtr and 825 at 13 mtr it is rated to 20 elastic and is 16mtr long i have never fished past 13 mtr because of a back injury. I use it for silvers and carp but all of my top kits are power kits. I bought it second hand for £560 due to a pro repair to the 8th section, if you are lucky you might pick one up on ebay but they do not come up a lot I love this pole

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've had an original 999 for just over 3 years now and it's handled everything I've thrown at it without a single problem. :upthumb:

mimississ

Site Supporter
Eyup m8.. I've got the early maver oculus 999 and it's absolutely amazing for carp puddles... I bought a browning silverlite 10-08...last year for canal and silverfish... This is wot it is made for... With an elastic rating 12.....it can handle bigger fish but its main use for me is silverfish.... I have to be honest that in my opinion the silverlite is awesome and I don't think you will find a better silverfish pole...