Maver Oculus 999 xs or pay the extra for a signature pro 821

Mark0001

I have read a few posts about the Maver Occulus 999 xs and was thinking of getting one myself. What are they like at 16m. I had a Darkside 3 which unfortunately I had to sell during the first covid lockdown due to lack of work. Now things are a bit better I am looking to get a good Maver 14.5 metre pole which can be fished at 16m sometimes. I mainly fish rivers and natural venues but have a couple of matches in the close season on the carp lakes. I don’t really want to spend £2500 on another top end one like the signature 821 if I don’t have to. Or do you guys think I will be wishing I had paid the extra dosh for a signature pro 821 as the Oculus 999xs is quite a downgrade from the Darkside 3 I used to have? I’ve tried all the other makes over the years and am a Maver fan so not looking to change to another brand. Thanks for anyone’s advice.
Mark

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mark, I've had an original 999 (not the XS) since January 2017 and I'm very happy with it. I've used it for everything and haven't had a single problem with it. I've caught everything from small silvers to double figure carp on it and had a good few Ton+ bags with it,

It's a very good capable pole up to and including 14.5 mtrs but does go a bit at 16mtrs but is still fishable, In all honesty I don't think there's a pole out there at its price point to touch it. However if you are going to be fishing regularly at 16mtrs then you're really best looking at poles at a higher price point like the Signature Pro 821.

Mark0001

Mark, I've had an original 999 (not the XS) since January 2017 and I'm very happy with it. I've used it for everything and haven't had a single problem with it. I've caught everything from small silvers to double figure carp on it and had a good few Ton+ bags with it,

It's a very good capable pole up to and including 14.5 mtrs but does go a bit at 16mtrs but is still fishable, In all honesty I don't think there's a pole out there at its price point to touch it. However if you are going to be fishing regularly at 16mtrs then you're really best looking at poles at a higher price point like the Signature Pro 821.
Hi Peter and thank you for the great information. It was your review I read from previous posts and you have put my mind at rest. I quite often fish at 14.5 metres
on the river as that is where the bream sit but if I’m honest probably fish a handful of times at the 16 metre mark for an hour or two in a season so can’t really justify paying £1000 more. I guess In our head we always want the better pole as we may use it more. But in my mind with money being quite tight the last few months that extra grand can buy me a new Tri-cast ultralight 4x4 bream feeder rod plus a couple of Maver signature waggler rods with reels. Many thanks. Mark

SteveinSwindon

I have a 999 and would also recommend it. I tend to fish canals and natural venues and agree up to 14.5m its fine , especially for the money, but wouldn't want to use it a 16m for very long.

I suffered one breakage, due to my own incompetence, picking up a section by holding the no 4. Got a replacement one at reasonable cost.

Whilst I know people do use them for carp I would be a bit hesitant as unlike heavier poles I have had previously, I do find it a bit disconcerting that the walls on the 999 can be flexed a little, which I am guessing is why it's fairly light. I wouldn't want to be playing a big carp on mine, id' be nervous!!

Mark0001

Thanks Steve. I have been using my old Maver Moby Dick since I had to sell my Darkside. Compared to what the newer Poles are like on the the old thin walled Maver poles I would be scared to lift a roach with the Moby Dick. But that was what they were like 15 years ago and I managed to land good double figure carp on that although I had my fingers crossed at the time. I would rather a thin stiff light pole as 90 per cent of my fishing is natural venues now. And I rarely use the full length anyway.