Maver oculus 999 XS opinions ?

Luke4398

Hi all, I’ve finally joined the forum and this is my first post! I’m currently looking at buying a new pole. I’ve got a max budget of £1500. I’ve been looking at a few but one that’s stood out is the new maver oculus 999 XS. I just wanted to get some opinions of these, and what owners think of them! I’ll be mainly using it to fish for commercial carp, and a few of the lakes I fish have plenty of double figure carp in them! How do these poles stand up to landing double figure Carp ? Any info anyone can give about that would be great!

Paul.P

The only one i've seen was owned by one of our club members & it exploded at Rookery fishery. Now if your looking at a new model then it may of been strengthened, but if its a new model then doubtful anybody will of had chance to try it. To be honest with a budget of £1500 i'd personally go for the Tricast Perception, but i always suggest to people to ring Leigh Tackle who stock pretty much all the poles & speak to the owner ( Gavin ), tell him your budget & listen to his advice, point being, him having & seeing all the poles can give you much better advice than most on here as most of us only have the one that we've got or perhaps seen one or two.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think Peter ( mugger ) has a 999. When a pole breaks it’s generally down to it being ‘ dinked ‘ previously. Often the owner is unaware. Maybe they dropped or even heavy handedly placed it on the ground. Under normal use it is extremely hard to break a pole believe it or not.

Luke4398

The only one i've seen was owned by one of our club members & it exploded at Rookery fishery. Now if your looking at a new model then it may of been strengthened, but if its a new model then doubtful anybody will of had chance to try it. To be honest with a budget of £1500 i'd personally go for the Tricast Perception, but i always suggest to people to ring Leigh Tackle who stock pretty much all the poles & speak to the owner ( Gavin ), tell him your budget & listen to his advice, point being, him having & seeing all the poles can give you much better advice than most on here as most of us only have the one that we've got or perhaps seen one or two.
Cheers for that, will have to give them a call!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
We only admit to one as one day our wives may see our posts. ??

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've posted this previously Luke but I'll repeat it here for you..............

I got my Oculus 999 in January 2017 and I'm very happy with it. I've used it for everything and haven't had a single problem with it.
I've caught everything from small silvers to double figure carp on it and had a good few Ton+ bags with it,

It's very good up to 14.5 mtrs but does go a bit at 16mtrs, but then so do a lot of poles costing considerably more. In all honesty I don't think there's a pole out there at its price point to touch it.
Top kits aren't the cheapest but as I found out when looking for some short 1 piece top kits for F1's the MAP TKS Short Shalla Pulla Kit's fit fine at a very reasonable price without upsetting the balance.

Mine is the original 999 and not the 999XS which is marketed now, but I can't imagine there is a huge difference except that the new one comes with a mix of top kits ( 3 x Oculus XS powerlite power kits, 4 x Oculus XS commercial power kits, which are all slotted and pre bushed + a match top3 in the pole) where as mine came with 6 x Oculus powerlite kits and a Match top 3 and a cupping kit.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Don’t recall anywhere in the original post asking for recommendations or anything about Tri cast ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Paul.P

Don’t recall anywhere in the original post asking for recommendations or anything about Tri cast ?‍♂️?‍♂️
It was only another suggestion in his price bracket chefster, i did suggest he spoke to someone who has them all at his disposal so he can get the best buy for his money !