Maver Occulus 999 or Daiwa Connossieur G90

Howie

Hi all.
Started fishing about 5 years ago and bought a Maver Respect for £250 brand new. Been a good pole but a few sections are strarting to crack. I am looking for a new pole and was going to go down the Maver route again but everyone I speak to at the fisheries around where I live tell me to avoid the Maver as they have a tendancy to break alot. Everyone seems to be recommending the Daiwa g20, g50, g90. When I read the online reviews there doesnt seem to be much difference with anglers commenting on both poles having the odd problem of breaks particularly on their no. 4 sections. I can afford a new pole but again most advice seems to be to buy a second had one. Any thoughts on which you would buy if you had the choice of these two?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Anglers break poles, not poles breaking.
I have had a G50 for the past 4 years, had no complaints with it, handled fish to mid doubles,
Prior to that I had a shimano Aernos and a Maver.
Both good poles, the number 5 broke on the maver which was my fault, and my fault broke number 4 on shimano.
I know who few who have the occulus , and they are happy with them.
Choice is yours , it's you who will be using it, not us.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I hope that Peter sees your post. I think he has a Occulas. Think he’s pretty happy with it.

Howie

Thanks. One last question I note there is an occulus 999 and an occulus 999xs (extra strength) was wondering if there was any reason behind the new pole being advertised as extra strength? I have a couple of second hand 999s to view but not the xs.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Hi all.
Started fishing about 5 years ago and bought a Maver Respect for £250 brand new. Been a good pole but a few sections are strarting to crack. I am looking for a new pole and was going to go down the Maver route again but everyone I speak to at the fisheries around where I live tell me to avoid the Maver as they have a tendancy to break alot. Everyone seems to be recommending the Daiwa g20, g50, g90. When I read the online reviews there doesnt seem to be much difference with anglers commenting on both poles having the odd problem of breaks particularly on their no. 4 sections. I can afford a new pole but again most advice seems to be to buy a second had one. Any thoughts on which you would buy if you had the choice of these two?
I was in exactly the same position at the start of the year. I ended up buying the Matrix Mtx3 ultra plus the Mtx 11m power margin pole which also acts as back up for the Mtx3 as its off the same mandrel. I got both poles for a comparable price to the G90 with power kits

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I hope that Peter sees your post. I think he has a Occulas. Think he’s pretty happy with it.
I got my Oculus 999 in January 2017 and I'm very happy with it. I've used it for everything and haven't had a single problem with it. It's very good up to 14.5 mtrs but does go a bit at 16mtrs, but then so do a lot of poles costing considerably more. In all honesty I don't think there's a pole out there at its price point to touch it.
Top kits aren't the cheapest but as I found out when looking for some short 1 piece top kits for F1's the MAP TKS Short Shalla Pull Kit's fit fine at a very reasonable price without upsetting the balance.

Mine is the original 999 and not the 999XS which is marketed now, but I can't imagine there is a huge difference except that the new one comes with a mix of top kits ( 3 x Oculus XS powerlite power kits, 4 x Oculus XS commercial power kits, which are all slotted and pre bushed + a match top3 in the pole) where as mine came with 6 x Oculus powerlite kits and a Match top 3 and a cupping kit.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I got my Oculus 999 in January 2017 and I'm very happy with it. I've used it for everything and haven't had haven't had a single problem with it. It's very good up to 14.5 mtrs but does go a bit at 16mtrs, but then so do a lot of poles costing considerably more. In all honesty I don't think there's a pole out there at its price point to touch it.
Top kits aren't the cheapest but as I found out when looking for some short 1 piece top kits for F1's the MAP TKS Short Shalla Pull Kit's fit fine at a very reasonable price without upsetting the balance.

Mine is the original 999 and not the 999XS which is marketed now, but I can't imagine there is a huge difference except that the new one comes with a mix of top kits ( 3 x Oculus XS powerlite power kits, 4 x Oculus XS commercial power kits, which are all slotted and pre bushed + a match top3 in the pole) where as mine came with 6 x Oculus XS powerlite power kits and a Match top 3 and a cupping kit.
Good enough for Denis White good enough for us hey Peter ? Thanks for posting mate. ?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I got my Oculus 999 in January 2017 and I'm very happy with it. I've used it for everything and haven't had a single problem with it. It's very good up to 14.5 mtrs but does go a bit at 16mtrs, but then so do a lot of poles costing considerably more. In all honesty I don't think there's a pole out there at its price point to touch it.

Mine is the original 999 and not the 999XS which is marketed now, but I can't imagine there is a huge difference except that the new one comes with a mix of top kits ( 3 x Oculus XS powerlite power kits, 4 x Oculus XS commercial power kits, which are all slotted and pre bushed + a match top3 in the pole) where as mine came with 6 x Oculus powerlite kits and a Match top 3 and a cupping kit.
Can you handle the pole at 14.5m single handed mate. My Preston gis 86 is virtually impossible to hold steady whilst I put my hand in the bait tub.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can you handle the pole at 14.5m single handed mate. My Preston gis 86 is virtually impossible to hold steady whilst I put my hand in the bait tub.
Not a problem Dave. You're not a small lad Dave, I would imagine it's more down to your technique than any shortcoming of your pole. ;)

Howie

I do note there are some scams on Facebook marketplace. There is currently a guy puporting to be from Leigh selling a Maver Oculus 999 xs for £1000. All the pictures are off a website (none of his pole). When I asked to view I got told someone was coming to view it in the next hour but if I put a deposit down he would hold it for me. I declined and the pole is still for sale a week later. Made the same enquiry from my wifes acount and guess what? Someone was coming down in the next hour and I could pay a deposit to hold it....sounds very much like a scam and maybe worth letting other members know to tread carefully.