Maver 921

johnfranks

Site Supporter
Well, finally managed to get out with my shiny new black stick today. And first impressions very good. Not the lightest but it's strong. Very stiff and tip bounce virtually non existent. Spares are excellant. I went for the match package as I still fish canals and for silvers. However bought 3 commercial power kits for those down the edge days.
Right fishing, first test is always to see how it goes with a jaffa of groundbait in the cup. No problem, out to 13 mts bit of a bend but nothing major and didn't feel like it was about to snap. Unlike 2 other top end poles I have had.
Fishing 12 to 14 hollow and started on the deck with maggots. Got a couple of roach and then my pole bent round, yes really and didn't snap and 10 mins later had an angry koi common cross of about 10lbs in the net. These go mental and usually break us off but no problem and the powerlite kit coped well.
Few more roach and skimmers, then hooked something that wanted to see what the far bank was like. Bigger than the other and again bent my pole over, and disaster hooked pulled out after a massive swirl about 20 mts out. It happens when fishing a size 18 hook. Had a few bream around the 5 lbs mark and then it died so time go home.
Very impressed with its first outing. Finish and attention to detail is superb. Bought the Cresta hardcase for it and it fits so well you would think it was made for the pole.
Got to say the deal with Maver was brilliant 12 roller bushes and enough elastic for all my kits for free, well nothing is really for free but as I got the pole for a steal I'm not complaining.
It's a far cry from the mavers I had 20 years ago that were the thickness of a fag paper. This feels like it will cope with anything.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one John, good to here that you're suitably impressed with you new acquisition.
As you mention, the latest offerings from Maver are far removed from the offerings of yesteryears. :upthumb:

johnfranks

Site Supporter
3 months on and still impressed. Went out yesterday and had Carp of 16lbs 10lbs 8lbs 7lbs and 4lbs. The 16 pounder gave the pole a real workout. Who said Carp dont fight much in the Winter ? Those pole protectors are so handy especially if you use a butt rest and bump bar between bites.

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
3 months on and still impressed. Went out yesterday and had Carp of 16lbs 10lbs 8lbs 7lbs and 4lbs. The 16 pounder gave the pole a real workout. Who said Carp dont fight much in the Winter ? Those pole protectors are so handy especially if you use a butt rest and bump bar between bites.
Where are you catching carp,I've not seen one for a month,lol.

johnfranks

Site Supporter
We have some club lakes in Tadley Hants. Very hit and miss, blanked yesterday. Only one carp and a bream today. Maybe the ice on the lake put them off