Maver 101 competition pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince G

Hop Along
Well I've finally bitten the bullet and changed my pole. I'm thankful to site member 'alltackledup' for doing me an excellent deal on his Maver 101 competition plus pole which he's barely used. (Matt does this mean I'll start having to wear Red now?)

maver101.jpg
My old Lerc XT50 has seen better days although I'll keep it for now for when I have to target beasts like the ones at Rolfs.

The pole is 13m long and came with 5 top kits a cupping kit, and a dolly butt. It has the features such as Magic Steps, Fusion, Sun Core AFS finish, Teflon Joints and Nanolith impregnated fibres which are normally found on much higher priced poles. At 11m it weighs a measly 690g and at 13m just 932g. My Lerc weighed in around 900g at 11m so I'm certainly going to notice the difference.

Having set it up in the garden it feels so different to the Lerc so will take some getting used to but I'm sure it won't take long.

Hopefully the weather will improve and I can get out and put it through it's paces, I just need to decide what elastics to put through the kits. There are 4 power top and 1 match top and this was my original plan:

Power kit 1 - Black Hydro on winder bung
Power kit 2 - Black Hydro on winder bung
Power kit 3 - Red Hydro on winder bung
Power kit 4 - Purple Hydro on winder bung
Match top - a 6 or 8 latex.

Obviously that's going to be expensive so is there a better option. Over to you guys. I mainly fish commercials where the Carp run between 1lb and 8lbs plus the usual odd lumps.

Once I finally get out on the bank I'll do a proper review and let you know my thoughts.

Last edited:

bowie

if you are fitting black hydro have a look on ebay,somebody is selling it for 9.50 inc pp,saves you 11 straight away[:T]
good luck with the pole

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill G

Grandad
looks a decent bit of kit vince ,has it got the i can beat peter feel to it .?
on the elastic side of things is it up to handling purple hydro ,its just that the weight of the pole suggests a more delicate peice of equipment rather than an out and out carp basher .
im not sure though does it have an elastic rating printed on it anywhere ?

Vince G

Hop Along
Bill,

The pole is rated to 12/20 Maver Dual-Core on Power Kits and 10 on Match Kits.

I'm not planning to use it for real serious bagging like Rolfs Babies as I'll keep my old pole for that.

pham

I'm a big fan of hydro!

Personally I don't like red, its a little bit overkill, i do however love the purple, i'm confident in landing most lumps on it. Its the heaviest elastic i use and i find it ideal for snag fishing. If ur planning on usin the lerc for the bigger ones then u prob won't need red anyway.

I'd make sure id' got white, black and purple. I like the grey 2 as a bit of an in between!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Vince,
If you're going to keep the Lerc for "baggin
" I don't see why you would bother with Red Hydro in the 101.
There's plenty of hollo's out there without going to the expense of Hydro.[;)]
You need to save some 1's for me.[:p][:D]

oldtart

01/02/09 - 07/07/10
In Memoriam
had my 101 since they first came out all tops solid rubber no probs carp to over 10lbs and can fish it 5 hours no too bad for an old tart

Matt Love

The slapper
Vince, I'm getting rid of my Maver stuff in favour of the new red Milo stuff [:D] There's not enough red in Maver stuff, that's why I sold my pole [:p]

Did you get a holdall with it? If not you can have my Maver pole holdall when my Milo one actually arrives [;)]

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
Red Hydro!!! Pull Bungs!!!!

Are you shark fishing or something?????[:p][:p][:p][:p]

I would stick solid in it and nothing over a 12 for round here[;)]

Matt Love

The slapper
Nick, his top kits may be long like mine so a 14 might be in order for some places [;)]

Vince G

Hop Along
Who mentioned PULL BUNGS?

Unlike you Nick I travel out of the county to fish so occasionally need something stronger. (That is of course when I actually manage to hook something)

I've had a good think and am now planning on the following:

Power Top 1 Black Hydro on winder bung
Power Top 2 Black Hydro on winder bung
Power Top 3 Maver 12/20 on winder bung
Power Top 4 Maver 12/20 on winder bung
Match top Preston Flouro 6

This will cover everything I need.

d1ball

Bally
nick,
jump out of the dark ages......

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
Sorry my mistake Vince you put winder bung not pull bungs I must learn to read[:I]

Originally posted by d1ball

nick,
jump out of the dark ages......

A proper set latex elastic in a 10-14 will land anything and there are very few venues in the country that you will need anything stronger even for bigger fish[:T]

Vince G

Hop Along
Well I've finally made a decision.

In 2 of the power tops were Preston 11h and Preston 13h so I've decided to keep them as they were only put in a little while ago and have hardly been used.

The other two power tops have been elasticated with Black Hydro and Purple Hydro as I was given a new pack of each today by a mate who has gone back to solid elastics.

In the match top I've put a 6 latex.

All are on winder bungs and all it's cost me is 5 so I'm happy.

Just need to learn how to catch more fish than Peter (not sure that there's much chance of that happening) and I'll be sorted.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Vince G

all it's cost me is 5 so I'm happy.

Just need to learn how to catch more fish than Peter (not sure that there's much chance of that happening) and I'll be sorted.

So you've got a few 1 coins spare then, excellent news.[:T]

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
On a 13h you will be catching them very slowly ask Matt about it? [:p][:D]

alltackledup

I have used 13 and 15h and never had problems. its hydro where you have to chase a hooked carp round the lake, preston hollo good elastic. Like anything down to the individual!

Vince G

Hop Along
I've now written a review of the pole which can found on the link below.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/90576

Status
Not open for further replies.