Maver 101 Competition Plus 13m pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince G

Hop Along
A few months back I decided to retire my Lerc XT50 pole. the main reason was my back problems which I found were being aggravated by the weight of the XT50 at full length.

Searching the classifieds on MD's I came across a Maver Competition Plus 101 13m Pole at a very good price so went along and had a look. Needless to say I bought it and was a happy man.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/uploaded/Vince G/200942823593_Maver 101.jpg

The pole came with 5 top kits, (1 match top kits and 4 power kits) as well as a cupping kit, and half extension.

Having now used the pole I thought I should put my thoughts down in type.

My impressions of the pole are very good. The pole features Sun Core AFS finish, Teflon Joints and Nanolith impregnated fibres which make it slides through the hands easilly even in wet conditions. The wall strength is excellent and it feels like it will handle decent sized fish with ease.

I have elasticated the top kits as follows:
Power Top 1 - Black Hydro on winder bung
Power Top 2 - Black Hydro on winder bung
Power Top 3 - Maver 12/20 on winder bung
Power Top 4 - Maver 12/20 on winder bung
Match top - Preston Flouro 6
This covers all my needs as If I plan any serious bagging with bigger fish like at Rolfs I'll bring the Lerc back out of retirement.

My first few sessions with the pole were during the colder weather so it wasn't tested to it's limits but handled everything with ease. With the pole weighing in at a measly 932g at 13m fishing at this length was a comfortable experience for a change and I'm confident that I could fish this long all day if I needed to. However I rarely fish this long so at 696g at 11.5m it should be a doddle.

Much of my fishing is on commercials and I normally don't fish more than 7 or 8m and at this length it feels really light. The pole seems quite stiff for a lower end pole which makes a change from the Lerc which bent alarmingly at 13m making it difficult to fish.

I have now managed to give the ppole a good test during a couple of sessions, one to Hawkhurst Fish Farm and the other to Monk lakes. The first session involved catching Carp mainly 3-4lbs and whilst i didn't really bag up I felt comfortable that the pole had plenty more to give.

The second session at Monk Lakes was a completely different kettle of fish, most of the day was spent bagging Bream, Tench and Barbel up to around 6lbs and at no time was I worried. This changed a bit though when I hit in to something larger. It turned out to be a Carp of 19lb 4ozs which tore off stretching my Maver 12/20 elastic to it limit. I'd added sections to take me to 11.5m and allowed the Carp to do it's best. It surged around for a while before beginning to tire and eventually I netted it after a few hairy moments near the reeds.
The way the pole handled the fish surprised me. I honestly thought beforehand that it might have snapped under the enourmous pressure of such a big fish but it didn't and to be honest during the fight never once was I worried. I'm actually fairly confident that, if I needed to, I could happily use it at Rolfs with Red Hydro.

All in all I'm very happy with my purchase, and have to say I got it at a bargain price. The pole is still readilly available and has an RRP of 499. For that you get 2 power kits, cupping kits and cups, clean caps, holdall and DVD. Mind you I know having looked around that you can get it for a lot less than that, the average price I've seen online is around 350 and many tackle shops are throwing in extra top kits.

I'd be very happy to reccomend the pole to anyone, it would certainly suit someone new to pole fishing or on a limited budget. Saying that though, experienced anglers would also find it a joy to use and be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Bill G

Grandad
nice reveiw vince ,but you forgot the carp you had at shannons ,that gave you a pretty good run for your pennys .

Last edited by a moderator:

tom14

nice report mate!!!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
But will it win you a quid old mate,

will it be the weapon to mug the mugger[:D]

Peter

'Mugger'