Matrix XR36 comp seat box

frozengiblet

I bought mine in the Black Friday sales. Bought it blind as there were no local shops that had it in stock and the deal was too good to pass up.

Not had too much time out on the bank with it, but was shocked to find out how heavy it was compare to my old box. It’s an absolute beast and nearly floored me when I tried to swing it over my shoulder like my old box. So had to invest in a means of transporting it, but if you already have something it wouldn’t be an issue.

The seatbox itself is nice and sturdy with the big legs and I love that each leg has screw tops on them. The main box is quite deep but I do wish it was a tad deeper to get all kit I want in it. Despite being bigger than my old box I haven’t really got any more tackle in it. It’s just not got enough space for the extras I was hoping to get in there (extra hooklength boxes etc). Looking at getting the spacer unit which will solve that issue for me. Also looking to get the seat cover to protect the seat as the pole holder is nice and stiff but if you spill bait down between it and the cushion (as I have) it’s a pain to get out.

The other niggle I have is that you cant open the drawer unit with the strap clipped on which is a design floor plain and simple but as said it’s too heavy to swing over your shoulder and walk any real distance so I’ve ended up removing the strap altogether. However the drawer is nice and deep and I was surprised how much it could hold and was even able to get my longer waggler floats in the middle section placed at an angle. Though the fixed partitions may not be to everyone’s liking.

I also find that I pull the footplate all the way out when extending. I don’t know if it’s just me being heavy handed but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

If im honest I do wish I spent the time to find somewhere which had it in stock and I could compare to others as these little niggles are annoying and another could box may have suited me better. But all of that doesn’t take away from the fact that it is a solid and comfortable box.

Ian Ryder

I bought mine in the Black Friday sales. Bought it blind as there were no local shops that had it in stock and the deal was too good to pass up.

Not had too much time out on the bank with it, but was shocked to find out how heavy it was compare to my old box. It’s an absolute beast and nearly floored me when I tried to swing it over my shoulder like my old box. So had to invest in a means of transporting it, but if you already have something it wouldn’t be an issue.

The seatbox itself is nice and sturdy with the big legs and I love that each leg has screw tops on them. The main box is quite deep but I do wish it was a tad deeper to get all kit I want in it. Despite being bigger than my old box I haven’t really got any more tackle in it. It’s just not got enough space for the extras I was hoping to get in there (extra hooklength boxes etc). Looking at getting the spacer unit which will solve that issue for me. Also looking to get the seat cover to protect the seat as the pole holder is nice and stiff but if you spill bait down between it and the cushion (as I have) it’s a pain to get out.

The other niggle I have is that you cant open the drawer unit with the strap clipped on which is a design floor plain and simple but as said it’s too heavy to swing over your shoulder and walk any real distance so I’ve ended up removing the strap altogether. However the drawer is nice and deep and I was surprised how much it could hold and was even able to get my longer waggler floats in the middle section placed at an angle. Though the fixed partitions may not be to everyone’s liking.

I also find that I pull the footplate all the way out when extending. I don’t know if it’s just me being heavy handed but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

If im honest I do wish I spent the time to find somewhere which had it in stock and I could compare to others as these little niggles are annoying and another could box may have suited me better. But all of that doesn’t take away from the fact that it is a solid and comfortable box.
Thanks for your comments, it seems that you like the box but I get the feeling that it doesn't meet what you wanted. The things l like is the adaptability, I can set it up for pole fishing but if I decide to go on the river , I can remove my winder trays and adjust the height for me. I don't think I could do this with a standard box. That said, I normally take a folding seat if I have to walk to the peg.

I can see the issue with strap but as a normally use a barrow, it did see it being too much of an issue.

frozengiblet

Thanks for your comments, it seems that you like the box but I get the feeling that it doesn't meet what you wanted. The things l like is the adaptability, I can set it up for pole fishing but if I decide to go on the river , I can remove my winder trays and adjust the height for me. I don't think I could do this with a standard box. That said, I normally take a folding seat if I have to walk to the peg.

I can see the issue with strap but as a normally use a barrow, it did see it being too much of an issue.
I do like the box itself and the quality of the build is there it’s just a bit annoying that buying and expensive kit from a top brand had some silly issues. But they don’t take away from the performance and usability of the box when setup

The weight and transporting for me was another cost I wasn’t factoring when buying the box and some of the venues I fish can still be a challenge to get to the pegs.

If you do go ahead with getting one I would be interested hearing your opinions on it after a bit of use.