Matrix SLIK vs Nufish Zipp

SpeedyJD

Hi all.
I'm just about to elasticate my top kits with some fresh elastic ready for the new season. I had a go with the Matrix SLIK elastic last year and was very impressed with 10-12 right upto 16-18.
Then I've seen on the market the new Nufish Zipp, I've noticed the diameter is 0.2mm thicker than SLIK i.e. 8-10 SLIK is 1.4mm 8-10 Zipp 1.6mm.
Has anyone tried Zipp Elastic and how do they compare it to SLIK. It would save quite a bit of money especially when I've got 9 top kits and then my margin pole. Thank you.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
It is generally commented that Matrix have overstated their elastic ratings, 6-8 slik 1.2mm, 6-8 zipp 1.4mm, I think the 8-10 slik is more comparable to the zipp (and same diameter). Nick Gilbert solid core is same diameter to elastic ratings as zipp.

Having used slik I would agree its overstated. Bought some zipp but not fished with it yet.

Carp attack

I've used the matrix an love it and a mate of mine has both an says the difference is very marginal between them both if you can save yourself a few £££ then go with the nufish, both quality laggy,

karp_katcher

Site Supporter
The trouble with most people they over complicate elastics,I only uses two different elastics from spring to autumn,matrix silk 10-12 and 12-14 in all my top kits .keeps things simple for me.

Carp attack

The trouble with most people they over complicate elastics,I only uses two different elastics from spring to autumn,matrix silk 10-12 and 12-14 in all my top kits .keeps things simple for me.
Exactly, find something you like an stick with it an keep your choices simple, tho your choices the venues I fish I'd be more time in snags then actually fishing! 😂😂😂

SpeedyJD

I'm the same as you guys. I had 10-12 slik and 12-14 in my main pole and 14-16 and 16-18 in my margin. But cheapest I can find it it £7.80 ish and I can get the Zipp for £4.60 (with a 10% off code) so the saving over 8 main pole top kits and 5 margin top kits is.... Some money. (About £30 ish).
Might have a mix n match as the Zipp is good value.

Pclaret

I used /use Slik and NG ultra core, and cannot notice any difference in identical diameters, people I have spoke to have said the same about the Zipp, it’s identical in same diameters,(forget ‘ratings’)
In fact I think matrix are changing the ratings on it soon

90sGear

Site Supporter
I've heard Zip will be in shortage due to China issues i.e Corona effecting production/exports and there won't be much stock coming through. Food for thought. Don't know if it effects other brands, imagine it's all Chinese though.

SpeedyJD

I'm only curious here SpeedyJD but, why don't you like it mate ? 👍
Sorry didn't get back to you, busy with work.
It was a while ago but if I remember I just found some elastics didn't stay lubricated very well and seemed to stick in my top kits, some elastic was good but then when you jumped up a size it was like you had jumped up 2 sizes and I just didn't like playing fish with it, just a confidence thing no doubt but never had this issue with any other elastic. Horses for Courses, SLIK is superb though but I have just bought an odd pack of zipp now ready for the spring & summer only thing is though is the 1.6mm 8-10 Zipp is almost same colour as 1.6mm 10-12 Slik so need to know which is which with a different pulla bead.

Pikerwoods

Site Supporter
What are the equivalent Slik and Zip sizes to Drennan Bungee 10/12 and 14/16...?

Pclaret

Sorry didn't get back to you, busy with work.
It was a while ago but if I remember I just found some elastics didn't stay lubricated very well and seemed to stick in my top kits, some elastic was good but then when you jumped up a size it was like you had jumped up 2 sizes and I just didn't like playing fish with it, just a confidence thing no doubt but never had this issue with any other elastic. Horses for Courses, SLIK is superb though but I have just bought an odd pack of zipp now ready for the spring & summer only thing is though is the 1.6mm 8-10 Zipp is almost same colour as 1.6mm 10-12 Slik so need to know which is which with a different pulla bead.
They might be more similar than you think Speedy as they’ll behave exactly the same, if they are the same diameter.
Also, you do know Mick was talking about NG ultracore? It’s exactly the same as slik, zipp etc.
It’s all great elastic, it does need lubing every session imo

SpeedyJD

To be fair, I've not tried the NG Ultracore so I cannot comment and its price is close to the Zipp Elastic so might experiment with a pack of that too and see which I prefer between the three.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I can’t comment on the Nu fish stuff but I used Slik 12-14 last year and really struggled to get on with it.
I found initially it was really stretchy but really struggled to get it to power up when using a pulled kit. I was regularly struggling to gain control over fish.

After a few sessions I took it out my kit and put it through my mates pole and he absolutely loves it.