Matrix P25 on the way. Accessory advise welcome!

turnpike

Gents,

I took up fishing about a month ago. Teaching myself waggler on a lake at a place I was staying in Wales Now I'm sliding well down the slippery slope and have a pole which I loved straight away, catching a few 7-8lb carp at a local fishery.

Not long after that (yesterday...) I decided I'll get a matrix p25 box as my backed chair bank stick felt a bit limiting.

I'm wondering if anyone with a similar box might suggest what I should be looking for as basic accessories? Nothing fancy just what I could do with for not too much money to make things comfortable and neat. I've ordered a pole sock and a koala tray.

Winder trays anyone?

I have back aches on my pole side I've noticed. Hopefully I'll get a better seating position as I learn. Is there a simple way to be able to take a break from holding the pole without shipping it back in?

Cheers!
Carl.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
A side tray and pole sock are the main needs, so you’re fine for now (assume you’ve got a pole roller). A pole support properly set would enable you to put the pole in the hoop on your seat between your legs and rest on the support so you are not supporting the pole‘s weight. I personally don’t like them as they get in the way netting fish and need taking off if you switched to a feeder rod.
Here’s the Mattix one:

im not endorsing this and you certainly don’t have to spend that much (search on eBay but make sure it fits your 25mm round legs if you get one), but there is a video so you will understand better than my explanation.

its important you set the box up right to avoid backache when using the pole, especially longer lengths, there are videos on YouTube which will help.

turnpike

Thanks Paul. Yeah I was keen on one of those spray bars? Until I read some think they aren't great. I'll wait and see if I can manage the back ache first.

I'm going to try the under over rests.

I'm wondering if I need another drawer unit. Assuming only expensive matrix will fit.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
turnpike, ive got the matrix f25 and i coupled it up with the daiwa D-Tatch spray bar (pole rest) which fits fine and is less strain on my back, bought it brand new £25 look out for a used one on ebay. (y)

turnpike

turnpike, ive got the matrix f25 and i coupled it up with the daiwa D-Tatch spray bar (pole rest) which fits fine and is less strain on my back, bought it brand new £25 look out for a used one on ebay. (y)
Cheers. That does look good for the money if I decide to give on a go! I think I quickly got used to sitting back in a comfy chair with my waggler rod on a bank stick. I'll see if I get the hang of having the pole to hand most of the time. It's not the lightest and I already had a right lower back issue.

I just need to be able to go hands free now and then ideally without bringing it back. Like for a phone call or prepping something. I've got a ripple bar and have ordered an over/under rest so I'll see if that works for the occasional use.

For the drawers its looking like I haven't much choice other than finding an expensive deep tray or drawer for the matrix if I find I don't have enough space.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Trays are cheaper than drawers, but see how you go. I’d recommend using double winders (I use Preston ones) so 2 rigs on one winder. In a Matrix tray you can easily get 30 18cm winders in, that’s 60 floats using double winders. I think your box has a tray above the front drawers.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
As someone said, a pole sock is very useful or at least a tulip if you're only fishing a short pole. A brolly clamp is a must if you're someone who uses a brolly.

turnpike

P25 seatbox is here. Didnt realise I was getting a very shallow tray under the drawers in addition to the proper one at the top. Perfectly happy with the front drawers, easy enough to reach between legs to them.

I'm still undecided on a brolly. I'm happy to just wear waterproofs for now but I should maybe have got one of those bait waiters with a cover instead of just a tray.

This is all good stuff thanks! Just what I needed suggestions on.

SteveAmo

Get yourself a pack of cheap spirit levels and stick them on your footplate either via rivets or glue and make sure your box and footplate are all level, it will save you having a bad back.

From memory look in the DIY section at Wilkos a pack of 2 is about £3 best £3 you’ll spend saves loads of myther

Hope that helps.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The Guru Reaper pole sock is good because it doubles as a tulip in so much as being able to wedge your topkit between the two socks. I've got a Maver Sock with a rod rest on the top but they've stopped making them. I got it from a very kind forum member.

1599575218884.png

turnpike

The Guru Reaper pole sock is good because it doubles as a tulip in so much as being able to wedge your topkit between the two socks. I've got a Maver Sock with a rod rest on the top but they've stopped making them. I got it from a very kind forum member.

1599575218884.png

I just got that guru today ? hadn't realised it was a tulip too.

Been messing around with the P25 and wondering if I'm going to want to shell out for a deep unit. Might be ok, only thing I'm not fitting in is bait.

nemzi

how sturdy is this box it looks very lightweight and ive gone with similar types in the past with legs buckling so wondering if i should go with lightweight models again or aim for a much stronger box whats your opinions on it, would appreiciate feedback as im now retired and have got back into fishing again thx

turnpike

It's not had me concerned while sitting on it so far the last couple of months. I've not had it long enough though and never owned anything else to really say. I wouldn't want something bigger or more expensive for my casual use. Remains to be seen how its looking in say 2 years time.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem with pole supports and tucking the butt of the pole into your seat or groin is you end up bending forward over your pole, especially if you have to hit the bites and they're not hooking themselves.

Get a pair of pole supports for the side of your box - one upside down to the rear and one the right way up to the front, and put your pole in them if you need a break. If you get a bite just push the butt end down gently to lift the tip. Do not bang it down as you'll put too much pressure on the section on the front support.

turnpike

Yeah I've never used that front pole rest. Prefer to be in control and ready. I've found if I really need a break I just bring the pole back in.

robinta

I would say definitely get a bump/spray bar if fishing over 8m or so.. It will make a difference.. Fitting a pole into clamps or your groin is an option, but makes hitting bites much harder as you're slower to react.

Just my opinion!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter

1599575218884.png
Rumour has it you use yours a landing net as well

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
My grandson uses the same spray bar on his Daiwa box, very good value for money. A lot cheaper than similar style maver one.