Matrix P25 & F25 seatboxes

Glynifred

Morning everybody, hope you are all well.
My daughter is looking at purchasing either the Matrix P25 or the F25 seatbox, has anybody got one of these model boxes and what are the feelings towards them, good and bad comments most welcome.
Many Thanks

Whisker

Site Supporter
Good Morning and welcome to Maggotdrowners.

I've had the S36 and bought the S25 and from my research the P25 and F25 are both great boxes. Personal preference will decide which one is for you. Search the MD forums and/or look at the Matrix Sales, Advice and Reviews page on FB to get more information then visit a shop (might be able to after this week) to have a closer look. Good luck!

Glynifred

Good Morning and welcome to Maggotdrowners.

I've had the S36 and bought the S25 and from my research the P25 and F25 are both great boxes. Personal preference will decide which one is for you. Search the MD forums and/or look at the Matrix Sales, Advice and Reviews page on FB to get more information then visit a shop (might be able to after this week) to have a closer look. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I use a f25. It’s a great box and uses the standard long tried and tested (over 10 years) matrix drawer units (Which means there are often drawers/trays coming up on eBay). It’s narrower than the s25, s36, XR36 as the legs are not as far away from the box as the others but that doesn’t cause a problem with attachments. Being a H frame set up getting the height perfect is easy for people of all sizes.

The f25 has a deep tray which I like (and chose) and is good for keeping stuff like hook boxes, my glasses, some pellet tubs. The deep drawer is a great size with some compartmentalisation, I also got some dividers from boxtrays.co.uk to customise it further. I added a shallow tray for winders. You can rearrange the drawers and trays in any order. It’s a comfy seat with a spirit level. I have glued another small spirit level on to the frame at the side to get front/back level.

The legs are all extending I’ve never had one fail, the sliding footplate works well. The only issue is when putting it on a trolley if the legs overhang the side it tilts back as the footplate isn’t attached to the back legs. All the legs have a screw top to them, I’ve never used them!

Its a great box at a fab price, I have lots of top end stuff but choose this box due to its lightness and smaller footprint. Comparable boxes are the MAP H30 and Preston Inception, both are wider (and 30mm legs) and more expensive.

Terry D

The taxpayers can afford it!
I recently bought the F25 as I needed a box lighter than my Tourney 500. I like the box but now think I need a separate trolley for it as I can’t fit my Tourney wheels to it. Even if I could, I think there would be too much stress on the platform with it being extended. Otherwise, a fine box, nice threaded legs for attachments, shame about the lime green colour scheme though - but you can’t have everything.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
i have the original P25, had it just over 2 years and it a cracking box, i know they have changed the layout of the boxes with their refresh last year on the mk2 boxes, so it depends on whether a deep unit for rel storage etc is needed or front drawers, these are deep so can hold quite a bit of tackle

the box for me has been solid as a rock once setup the only things that then need adjusting might be the feet but thats taken care of by the telescope internal section of the leg

Steadyeddie 1

Site Supporter
I bought the F25 cos I like a side drawer but it doesn't have a winder tray & needed more storage space so I bought the tray unit that is on the P25. It gives me a bit more hight as well.

Pikerwoods

Site Supporter
Had both old and new models of F25 box and just what I wanted for my pleasure fishing. I did buy a shallow tray for winders but if you lift up seat bit there is room for an A4 plastic file "box" which I stuck down with 1" double sided soft tape from local pound shop. Holds more than enough winders for my fishing. Only difference in Mk1 & MK2 besides lime frame is sliding foot plate reworked so slides better. Got mine for £230 on-line. IMG_20200221_132617.jpg

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Ive got the F25, cant compare it to any other as its the first seatbox ive ever had, only pleasure fish so find it spot on, as pikerwoods says A4 plastic tray fits under seat holds more than enough pole winders for me, prefer the side drawer to other front drawer jobs, well pleased ive had it 2yr got it from Billy Clarks Sheffield £170 new. (y)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I've just bought a P25. I'm having to place a sheet of wood across the back of my Preston trolley (just in front of the locking nuts) so the legs can be placed down firmly. In addition, to take the strain off the footplate, I am extending the footplate when the box is placed on the trolley, but placing another piece of 1x1" across the front of the trolley to rest the front of the footplate on.

I've had to make similar adjustments to trollies whichever box I have had.

I note that there's no room to place a landing net between the legs and the box - so I'm going to have a short arm low down on the leg, with a post sticking up on which to place the side tray, with the landing net laying on the arm.

The P25 is very light, and I am pleased so far. I note that the two front trays can't be completely removed. However, I also have the extra deep side tray, and this will come out.

RJM

i have both boxes plus lots of additional drawers
i like the overall design and the modular configuration
the down side is i do not believe the build quality is upto heavy use
i fish 3 open matches a week mostly on rivers and it is taking its toll with broken catches etc after 4 years of use - my previous Boss box is still good after more than 20 years abuse
One thing you have to be very careful of is not to over tighten the screws on the extending legs or they will 'burst'
i have had to araldite the legs in place on one box and can only extend using the internal extensions

Steadyeddie 1

Site Supporter
I've had to fit a block of aluminium to my shuttle to make my F25 sit better and stop it tilting.
I also bought a Nufish side tray (cheaper than the MATRIX one) but had to make serious modifications to one clamp to make it fit.

Jenson

Once a tankie ... always a tankie
F25 for me sits on matrix 4 wheel trolley lovely just need to lift the rear legs up (to make it lower) I too have a nufish side tray but fits on ok it is a tight fit but ok for me, you won't regret either the P25 or F25 very solid and stable👍

CarpCatcher86

Had both old and new models of F25 box and just what I wanted for my pleasure fishing. I did buy a shallow tray for winders but if you lift up seat bit there is room for an A4 plastic file "box" which I stuck down with 1" double sided soft tape from local pound shop. Holds more than enough winders for my fishing. Only difference in Mk1 & MK2 besides lime frame is sliding foot plate reworked so slides better. Got mine for £230 on-line. View attachment 32161
Looks like you are missing one hell of a bite on the feeder rod there (y)

broadie1

fisherman
Site Supporter
For the money brilliant use mine 3 times a week on natural venues and never had a problem so good got 2 one for severn and one for Avon/trent very versatile spares easy to come by goes in boot easy carry footplate in tray net bag easy to keep clean

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I tend to agree with RJM - I've had an Octbox for three years and the P25 is not in the same class. So I know I must treat it with extra care. Looks like I will be using the P25 for the first time this weekend, after having not been able to fish for a month because of pulled muscles in my back, which has always given me trouble - that's the reason I bought the P25.

So all being well I will be selling the Octbox in the near future.

PS broadie1 - I assume from your post that the footplate will come out completely?

Fav

I’ve got the current version of the f25. It’s a great box.

Pros
Lightweight - this is its main pro
Fully Adjustable height
Strong
Comfortable
Snag free hand wheels

Cons
Draws and catches can be a bit sticky at first
No back so doesn’t sit that well on a trolley
Can be a little awkward to carry at times (again due to no back - if you don’t put the straps in the clips it has a tendency to rotate)
Extra shallow units have been v hard to find of late
Plastic footplate already has a small crack in it

Overall It’s worth the money and I don’t have any major complaints with it. If it lasts a few years, I’d buy another.