Matrix Horizon X Pro float rods

nejohn

Site Supporter
Has anyone seen or better still used one of these new Matrix rods, looking at the specifications they look like they might be very interesting, nice and light at 145grms for the 13ft it is certainly in Acolyte territory and Benwick sports are doing them for less than £160 so definitely looks a viable option to the Drennan. If they are anything like the Reflex range or the Fox match FX range that went before then they should be pretty good and even the handle looks like it might be comfortable which is always a bonus. If I can find one in a black friday sale I might just take a punt.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They do sound nice. That’s the next lightest I’ve heard of in terms of current rods after the acolyte ultra, sphere and a couple rives. Says £190 on the link for me though so same as an acolyte.

nejohn

Site Supporter
They do sound nice. That’s the next lightest I’ve heard of in terms of current rods after the acolyte ultra, sphere and a couple rives. Says £190 on the link for me though so same as an acolyte.
When I opened the link it gave a price of £158.33 ....!!! also pretty certain the actual weight of an acolyte and a sphere are around 145 grams also....just nice to have alternatives in similar price ranges as obviously the spheres are a lump more than the acolytes and the Rives if you pay full price for them are still £100 more than an acolyte (although I did get my 13ft one for a few coppers over £195 in a special deal from a shop in France). Also Matrix have a fairly good pedigree with their rods as most of the previous higher ranges are well thought of even going back to the old Fox Match days

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter

Found one here better price, silvers and small carp sounds interesting, I'm still considering, one of these.

But I have not found any on the second hand market yet !

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It's becoming increasingly obvious that the Daiwa patents on the Armlock handle have expired.;):D

I suspect that the Matrix will be decent. Let's be honest, there aren't that many rods that aren't at least OK these days. The biggest issue it'll have, along with quite a few others, is a lack of market visibility. It won't be the first decent rod to disappear with barely a ripple. The alternative is that a buzz will develop after they've been discontinued and sold off at a fraction of the full price (just like the Shakespeare Mach 3s).

Rick123

Site Supporter
Guys. That is always my biggest grumble, you buy a rod then see it discounted within a short time. Shimano were the worst for this, knocking out £300 rods then discounting to less the half, did my head in it really did. As Sam says it could be a true peach, but for most of us it will go without us even seeing it? As and aside I do think most good match rods will take 5lb line and a decent hook-link like 4lb, so most small carp are within range of all quality match rods. I don't see the niche (high-end) rods discounted much, the likes of Tri-cast, Sphere, others?

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Have to be honest I don't see to many top of the range rods discounted, maybe daiwa is the exception to the rule, but a tourny pro discount is still mighty expensive.

I try and buy second hand, i have a price I'm prepared to pay as long as the item is in very good condition undamaged, it's a win win. @Rick123 have you had your day in court ? And how's the allerton stacking up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When I opened the link it gave a price of £158.33 ....!!! also pretty certain the actual weight of an acolyte and a sphere are around 145 grams also....just nice to have alternatives in similar price ranges as obviously the spheres are a lump more than the acolytes and the Rives if you pay full price for them are still £100 more than an acolyte (although I did get my 13ft one for a few coppers over £195 in a special deal from a shop in France). Also Matrix have a fairly good pedigree with their rods as most of the previous higher ranges are well thought of even going back to the old Fox Match days
That’s weird still coming up at £190 for me. As you say if it is actually £158 that's a great deal!

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Benwick is showing 190 for the 13ft 3 peice for me as well. It takes longer for the offers to reach the south coast. We always pay over the odds :ROFLMAO:.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Link from my phone and a screenshot sorry whole page dies not fit but you can see the item and price.

MarkW

It's becoming increasingly obvious that the Daiwa patents on the Armlock handle have expired.;):D
A normal, non-medical, patent is 20 years so as the Armlock came out in the 90s(?) it must have expired now.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Have to be honest I don't see to many top of the range rods discounted, maybe daiwa is the exception to the rule, but a tourny pro discount is still mighty expensive.

I try and buy second hand, i have a price I'm prepared to pay as long as the item is in very good condition undamaged, it's a win win. @Rick123 have you had your day in court ? And how's the allerton stacking up.

Yes, I did get my day in court so to speak. I got a full refund just as the court papers were being filled in. I'm confident that fraud/theft is taking place with many courier companies. Rods and reels are being stolen wholesale, I now look for threads on other sites and it's rife. Thanks for asking buddy.

notime

Has anyone fished one of these and can maybe compare it to the Drennan Matchpro Ultralight?

Been thinking about getting one...