Matrix Horizon x 3000 reel

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
come on chaps, if we can’t go fishing let’s write some reviews of what we use.

I’ve had lots of reels over the years, TDRs, Stradics etc. I currently have some Cadence CS10sas my main reel. I have more rods than reels and saw the Matrix Horizon x on eBay like new £50 posted and thought I’d get it so I can leave another rod set up. I didn’t know what to expect having not had a matrix reel before.

I really like this reel! It’s a 3000 size, 5.5cm approx diameter shallow. It’s bigger than my 3000 Cadence, I do wish that there was some standardisation Of sizes across brands. I teamed it up with usual 6lb Invisitec and put it on my favourite rod to test it out, my Acolyte 11ft plus feeder and went to catch decent fish so I know what it’s capable of.

The line lay is excellent and it was the perfect size for the rod and 30-40m chucks I was doing on the method. It’s very smooth and the real bonus was the drag which was excellent, easy to adjust by small amounts. I use a mix backwind and drag, I’d have no concerns just using the drag with this reel. Plenty of cranking power and the biggest compliment I could give it is that it has stayed on the Acolyte. Think new they are around £70 which I think is great value. They come with a spare double handle (I prefer single), there is no spare spool, but guess that’s a marketing decision to keep the price down (£15 at fishing spares).

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
excellent reels i have 2x 3000 and 1x 4000. the only minor niggle i have is that the line on one of the 3000 does not always engage behind the roller everytime, I have checked and can see no real reason why but so far has not caused me an issue.

mark67

Site Supporter
I have 2x 3000 was that impressed with then went out and got 2x 4000

fredradac

Site Supporter
I do have a Matrix reel that I use on my Tricast 13ft feeder rod so it comes out when I want to cast as far as I can basically. Wish I could remember what model and size it is but it's locked away in a storage unit about 3 miles from home at present (don't ask!)
On the whole it does the job well but the last couple of uses it has started to sound like a coffee grinder which I do find offputting. The handle is turning ok and I did take the spool off to wipe the reel down but that hasn't made any difference. Any advice from you practical people out there?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I do have a Matrix reel that I use on my Tricast 13ft feeder rod so it comes out when I want to cast as far as I can basically. Wish I could remember what model and size it is but it's locked away in a storage unit about 3 miles from home at present (don't ask!)
On the whole it does the job well but the last couple of uses it has started to sound like a coffee grinder which I do find offputting. The handle is turning ok and I did take the spool off to wipe the reel down but that hasn't made any difference. Any advice from you practical people out there?
Do you have braid on it, and if so,do you dip it in the water? Some people do this to wet the braid and end up washing out the rotor bearing.

Nicky Dodds

I got a horizon x4000 for Christmas but haven't had chance to use it yet. All feels good apart from the double handle which to me feels like the span is too short.

stevierowe1

excellent reels i have 2x 3000 and 1x 4000. the only minor niggle i have is that the line on one of the 3000 does not always engage behind the roller everytime, I have checked and can see no real reason why but so far has not caused me an issue.
I have that very same problem on 3 of my 4 4000's. As you say only a niggle and doesnt detrac from the fact that there excellent reels.