Matrix horizon reels are they really that bad ? apparently so !

JLK

Classic example is the Preston Centris reels.
Someone on here a while ago posted a link to Ali Express with the same reel on there badged up as a Ryobi.

They we're identical apart from the name on the side. Now which came first I'm not sure but considering the fact that I haven't seen the ryobis like this in any shops over here tells a story I guess.

Mothy1965

Site Supporter
Just to be clear , I love Matrix tackle as a whole and am a bit of a tackle tart , the seatbox and clothing is cracking and the rods superb...

So a year or so back a mate of mine bought me the Matrix aquos 4000 reel , I had been eyeing them up due to the huge oversized spool figuring they would be great for pellet waggler . He gave it me at christmas and I was over the moon but... the bale arm was faulty , it didnt return when the handle was cranked or it only did so every now and then and mostly only went halfway making a horrible clicking sound , The fact it tried to go told me it was supposed to , the tackle shop it came from tried fobbing me off that not all reels do . I sent it back unused and they sent me a new one that did the same , I sent it back to matrix who again sent it back , So I just got on with it used it and returned the arm manually . Apart from that it was a great pellet waggler reel

Jump forward to now . My wife who is amazing ordered me the matrix horizon 10ft bomb rod and the matrix horizon 3000 reel to match and it arrived today as an early birthday gift , She gave it me early tomake sure they were OK . The rod is beautiful , the quality of finish is awesome it is sexy as f$@$ !!!

The reel on the other hand is utter sh£@ :mad::mad::mad: , it felt cheap immediately , the main rotor had a little play and overall didnt feel the best put together and believe me I am not snobbish about tackle , I have several cadence rods and reels I rave about ( all well under £100 ) I
put it on the rod , checked the bale arm ( once bitten and all that ) and after 2 checks the reel siezed up , Now it is stiff like the main shaft is bent and clicking all the time. Shop is more than happy for me to return but I have no faith in them anymore , expected so much more from an £80-£90 reel ( no spare spool either ) The one positive it it went tits up straight away . Daiwa TDR on order , no more matrix reels for me

Now I am aware that I am basing this on a few warnings by tackle shop owners over the overall cheapness of matrix reels ( 5+1 bearings in flagship reel ) and 2 reels I have owned but for 3 reels ( one and an exchange one ) but for all 3 to be fuaulty and play up so quickly is a poor showing

Rant over
I wish I'd read this before I bought a pair of the Matrix Aquos reels, same problem with the bale arm here.

Dalianexpat

I wish I'd read this before I bought a pair of the Matrix Aquos reels, same problem with the bale arm here.
I had a similar experience with MAP reels (because I wanted a bait runner function for river feeder fishing ) in the end I went back to my 40 year old Shimano super match reels , still as smooth as silk !

I'll be picking up some TDRs shortly , I had preston magnitudes and they felt great but anti reverse switch on top is jut not for me . I did pick up a cadence cs7 for a pellet waggler reel and wow , ill post a review soon