Matrix horizon reels are they really that bad ? apparently so !

Just to be clear , I love Matrix tackle as a whole and am a bit of a tackle tart , the seatbox and clothing is cracking and the rods superb...

So a year or so back a mate of mine bought me the Matrix aquos 4000 reel , I had been eyeing them up due to the huge oversized spool figuring they would be great for pellet waggler . He gave it me at christmas and I was over the moon but... the bale arm was faulty , it didnt return when the handle was cranked or it only did so every now and then and mostly only went halfway making a horrible clicking sound , The fact it tried to go told me it was supposed to , the tackle shop it came from tried fobbing me off that not all reels do . I sent it back unused and they sent me a new one that did the same , I sent it back to matrix who again sent it back , So I just got on with it used it and returned the arm manually . Apart from that it was a great pellet waggler reel

Jump forward to now . My wife who is amazing ordered me the matrix horizon 10ft bomb rod and the matrix horizon 3000 reel to match and it arrived today as an early birthday gift , She gave it me early tomake sure they were OK . The rod is beautiful , the quality of finish is awesome it is sexy as f$@$ !!!

The reel on the other hand is utter sh£@ :mad::mad::mad: , it felt cheap immediately , the main rotor had a little play and overall didnt feel the best put together and believe me I am not snobbish about tackle , I have several cadence rods and reels I rave about ( all well under £100 ) I
put it on the rod , checked the bale arm ( once bitten and all that ) and after 2 checks the reel siezed up , Now it is stiff like the main shaft is bent and clicking all the time. Shop is more than happy for me to return but I have no faith in them anymore , expected so much more from an £80-£90 reel ( no spare spool either ) The one positive it it went tits up straight away . Daiwa TDR on order , no more matrix reels for me

Now I am aware that I am basing this on a few warnings by tackle shop owners over the overall cheapness of matrix reels ( 5+1 bearings in flagship reel ) and 2 reels I have owned but for 3 reels ( one and an exchange one ) but for all 3 to be fuaulty and play up so quickly is a poor showing

Rant over

Last edited:
I have looked long and hard at the shimano but I love the anti reverse switch ( on the bottom ) and dont think I could live without it . I have a preston magnitude 320 I bought 2 months ago to get me out of a jam and it feels amazing for the money but the anti reverse is on the top and I just cant get to grips with it

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not got a Matrix reel but do have an XD, XC Class and a XS Slim and you’re right, they are beautiful rods. Sorry to hear about your reels. My dad was looking at them but, changed his mind at the last minute and went and bought a Preston instead. Sounds like he did the right thing.

I love almost everythinig about the horizon bomb rod and will be buying a horizon11ft pellet waggler and 11ft feeder soon , only provisional criticism of the bomb rod is as far as I know the quiver tips arent interchangable with the feeder rod ??? The preston magnitude ( I paid £73 in go outdoors ) is lightyears ahead of the matrix horizon , feels superb and sill smooth , quality reel if only the anti reverse switch was on the bottom but thats just me

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I was fishing in a festival this year, with a matrix sponsored angler, and I noticed he wasn’t useing there reels, I asked if he was allowed to do this, he said, he’d asked permission to use another manufacturer’s reels, because there own horizon reel wasn’t reliable enough, they gave him permission, but if he was in a final, he had to use matrix gear. He did tell me, they were working on the faults on the reels.

JLK

On that Jon Arthur video where he is fishing the River Severn (I think its the River Severn) his reel sounded like it was going to seize up at any minute. As soon as I heard it I thought they must be rubbish quality.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I had a horizon 3000 and it was ok reel, but replaced it with a Preston Magnitude which is a significant improvement in quality (feel, clutch, line lay) and isn’t much more money.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
If you're not fussed about having a Matrix reel try the KastKing Speed Demon. 7.4:1 ratio will mean you'll be chucking out your pellet waggler more often than everyone around you.

more casts = more retrieves = more fish?

If you're not fussed about having a Matrix reel try the KastKing Speed Demon. 7.4:1 ratio will mean you'll be chucking out your pellet waggler more often than everyone around you.

more casts = more retrieves = more fish?
Looks good but have to wonder about how long it will stand up to commercial carp as I suspect it is designed with bass fishing in mind . The cadence cs7 and cs10 have ratios of 6.2:1 which I suspect would make them excellent PW reels although strangly they are marketed as match/feeder reels

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Doesn't a faster retrieve put more twist in the line though with pellet wag?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Doesn't a faster retrieve put more twist in the line though with pellet wag?
It's all down to how fast you can wind the handle 🤣🤣🤣

EDIT. What's with the approval tag ?

Last edited:

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
All posts in tackle reviews have to be approved to ensure they are not slanderous. As it says in the ad. Don't think you are *special" :p

Dalianexpat

Just to be clear , I love Matrix tackle as a whole and am a bit of a tackle tart , the seatbox and clothing is cracking and the rods superb...

So a year or so back a mate of mine bought me the Matrix aquos 4000 reel , I had been eyeing them up due to the huge oversized spool figuring they would be great for pellet waggler . He gave it me at christmas and I was over the moon but... the bale arm was faulty , it didnt return when the handle was cranked or it only did so every now and then and mostly only went halfway making a horrible clicking sound , The fact it tried to go told me it was supposed to , the tackle shop it came from tried fobbing me off that not all reels do . I sent it back unused and they sent me a new one that did the same , I sent it back to matrix who again sent it back , So I just got on with it used it and returned the arm manually . Apart from that it was a great pellet waggler reel

Jump forward to now . My wife who is amazing ordered me the matrix horizon 10ft bomb rod and the matrix horizon 3000 reel to match and it arrived today as an early birthday gift , She gave it me early tomake sure they were OK . The rod is beautiful , the quality of finish is awesome it is sexy as f$@$ !!!

The reel on the other hand is utter sh£@ :mad::mad::mad: , it felt cheap immediately , the main rotor had a little play and overall didnt feel the best put together and believe me I am not snobbish about tackle , I have several cadence rods and reels I rave about ( all well under £100 ) I
put it on the rod , checked the bale arm ( once bitten and all that ) and after 2 checks the reel siezed up , Now it is stiff like the main shaft is bent and clicking all the time. Shop is more than happy for me to return but I have no faith in them anymore , expected so much more from an £80-£90 reel ( no spare spool either ) The one positive it it went tits up straight away . Daiwa TDR on order , no more matrix reels for me

Now I am aware that I am basing this on a few warnings by tackle shop owners over the overall cheapness of matrix reels ( 5+1 bearings in flagship reel ) and 2 reels I have owned but for 3 reels ( one and an exchange one ) but for all 3 to be fuaulty and play up so quickly is a poor showing

Rant over
I think it’s relatively easy for a company to enter the rod Biulding game , reels on the other hand need research , development and engineering expertise , I purchased a MAP 3000 reel recently for the bait runner function , it’s gutless compared to my 40 year old 2 Shimano Super Match and Areo match reels.

PearTree

Calder Reborn....
Site Supporter
I think it’s relatively easy for a company to enter the rod Biulding game , reels on the other hand need research , development and engineering expertise , I purchased a MAP 3000 reel recently for the bait runner function , it’s gutless compared to my 40 year old 2 Shimano Super Match and Areo match reels.
They do if a manufacturer wants develop their own. On the other hand there are Chinese factories that produce generic reels and will put your branding on them if required. Like everything in life, some are good, others are not so good.....

Marker50

Site Supporter
Must be a habit.but i manualy flip bailback.
Not used handle since my old mitchell days.

Dalianexpat

They do if a manufacturer wants develop their own. On the other hand there are Chinese factories that produce generic reels and will put your branding on them if required. Like everything in life, some are good, others are not so good.....
Absolutely and copyright means nothing, and whilst they get the look right the engineer quality is what you pay for , cheap gets cheap not value