Matchman hook tyer - Spikes in the handle

wumfi

Hi all,

New member here with a question if I may? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched both the forums and google but no joy.

I've just got a Matchman Hook Tyer and have got the idea on how to use it from some excellent YouTube vids.

My question is about the other end. My one has a screw handle, and when I remove the end it has two sharp spikes embedded in the handle (one slightly longer than the other). Does anyone have any idea what those spikes are for?

Many thanks,
Pete

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I would suspect they are a loop tyer but never seen one on a matchman hook tyer

wumfi

Thanks. I’m pretty new to all this, so I’ll have to google that one. Here’s a pic of what I mean.

963C767C-D228-4550-A7CC-631832411AE4.jpeg

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
This is a Matchman Hook Tyer. Anything significantly different (beyond colour changes) is not a Matchman.

Having now seen the pic, it's not a Matchman Hook Tyer, but it is a pretty good idea based on one. The prongs are for making loops of a consistent size. Here's a Sensas version of the two pronged loop tyer.

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hi all,

New member here with a question if I may? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched both the forums and google but no joy.

I've just got a Matchman Hook Tyer and have got the idea on how to use it from some excellent YouTube vids.

My question is about the other end. My one has a screw handle, and when I remove the end it has two sharp spikes embedded in the handle (one slightly longer than the other). Does anyone have any idea what those spikes are for?

Many thanks,
Pete

It can also be used for unpicking knots/tangles. I've never seen one for sale though.

There's a Youtube video of it here, and yes, it's a metal Matchman...

Last edited:

wumfi

Ah ok. I have obviously got a cheap copy then! Still, solves the puzzle so thank you. Thanks also for the video link. I’ll watch that later.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Ah ok. I have obviously got a cheap copy then! Still, solves the puzzle so thank you. Thanks also for the video link. I’ll watch that later.

Maybe not a cheap copy, just hard to get hold of.

buygoodtackle

Not that hard if you know where to look- I have had one for a few years- bought off Ali Express but also available on e-bay- they are Chinese in origin.

wumfi

Yeah this came from wish.com. My other hobby is electronics, and it popped up whilst I was buying other stuff! I think it was £1 from memory. Lots of fishing bits on there, but I suspect a lot of it is very dubious quality! This thing seems ok though. Just a chunk of aluminium.

wumfi

I do hope that this thread has gone quiet because we’ve finished the topic, and not because you’re all off looking at cheap c*** on wish.com... :ROFLMAO:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I do hope that this thread has gone quiet because we’ve finished the topic, and not because you’re all off looking at cheap c*** on wish.com... :ROFLMAO:

Not me, been watching the darts. :D