Matching reel for a Drennan matchpro ultralight 11ft?

Fritz

Good evening,

for my short light match-rod I am looking for reel recommendations. Should be a light reel, because the rod is light and short. I would like to spend less than 100€.

What would you take as a reel, or what are you using for really light float fishing?
Thanks in advance!

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Shimano Hyperloop 2500RB if they still make them. Brilliant little reel for next to nothing price wise.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I now use 2500 shimano Sahara’s for most my float fishing and they are really good reels for 50 odd quid. That said if your budget is near double that you’ve probably got loads of good reels to choose from!

Reuben

Site Supporter
I use a Cadence CS5 3000 on mine & it suits it very well indeed - £49.99. Cadence reels are on the smaller size. The Shimano Exage in 2500 size is a good fit too.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
I have a Cadence CS8 reel, that I use on my light float rod. It weighs in at 207gm and is very smooth with great retrieve speed. When I first got it last year it took me a while to get used to how smooth and free running it was and had a few problems with line spooling off and behind the rotor. After taking some advice from the guys at Cadence I adjusted the amount of line on the spool to allow a couple of mm of lip to show and until I got used to the reel used it mainly with the anti-reverse engaged, which wasn't an issue seeing as the clutch is silky smooth. Take a look for your self Cadence CS8 Match Fishing Fixed Spool Reel - Cadence Fishing

mbuna_matt

I've been using a new ABU 506 mk 2 for trotting down some small local rivers - its a nice combination for small dace!

Fritz

The Cadence reels are looking really nice and have also low weight. I think I will go for the CS8.
Thanks!

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Daiwa Fuego Lt 3000
215g | Magsealed | 10kg Drag
I've bought the Black Shallow Spools to suit and they're brilliant (150mtrs of 0.16mm line)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Drennan makes a float reel ...

Not used one myself but they do look the part

alsur

Site Supporter
Drennan makes a float reel ...

Not used one myself but they do look the part
Look the part but I wouldn't recommend, I have Two one feeling quite rough now, I use the other on my matchpro and acolyte it's ok but definitely doesn't feel as good as my Daiwas TDM and Procaster.