Matches - Pole Set Up

matiny2k

When fishing a match where it's top four depth but you can't afford to have several number four sections in your armoury, what's the best way of organising your kit ? At the moment I just attach the rig to the top three but the surplus line is prone to tangles.

Thanks

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you are using a pulla, put a bait band on the top of your no2 section, wrap your rig around the pulla bead and slip your hook into the bait band, effectively trapping the line behind the pulla bead and back up the top kit to the bait band

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I haven't got a pole roost so I normally have my spare top kits laid lengthways up my trolley. Only a couple of foot of line will hang down if it's a deep rig.
You could always wrap the excess on a winder & tuck the winder into the base of the pole section.

Carp attack

What I've done in the past is on your pole rig winder, wind the rig back on so much then pop it at the bottom of your no3 section, it gets held in place an it just sits on your roost like a normal kit when you come to use it just take it out an unwind, no loose line to tangle, ??

map

What I've done in the past is on your pole rig winder, wind the rig back on so much then pop it at the bottom of your no3 section, it gets held in place an it just sits on your roost like a normal kit when you come to use it just take it out an unwind, no loose line to tangle, ??
As he said

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Wind any excess line onto a winder then pull some elastic out to create tension I then slide the winder into the end of the 3rd section and it is secure,

dubdog

Had this problem when fishing the winter series on the river. Need at least three number fours. Faffing about winding rigs on to winders going to cost time and maybe the match. I would purchase more fours to be honest. But then again I packed the rivers in as it was too much prep and got fed up with ordering bait. Only for matches to be called off.

rufcuk

Wrap excess around puller and back up top kit and I use these to connect to hook

Attachments

• B1F33155-4222-476D-9FB0-31982E01B186.png
    B1F33155-4222-476D-9FB0-31982E01B186.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 10

Carp attack

Had this problem when fishing the winter series on the river. Need at least three number fours. Faffing about winding rigs on to winders going to cost time and maybe the match. I would purchase more fours to be honest. But then again I packed the rivers in as it was too much prep and got fed up with ordering bait. Only for matches to be called off.
All well and good if you have the money to buy spare no4's, but if on a budget and cant afford them, needs must am afraid, pole winder although not perfect serves a purpose,

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
If you are fishing a match then it's not ideal and I have 4 No4s and 3 No4s myself to make thing easier but if you are pleasure fishing or don't want to fork out for extra sections you can get by with a winder. Some anglers will fish a top 5 and still have a winder because they want to run right down there peg or keep the pole away from there catch area

lp1886

Site Supporter
Spare 4 & 5 are all good if you can get spares. I have numerous but majority are repaired as it’s the only option if they get dinked.

JLK

In days gone by prior to being able to afford spare 4s I used to cut down pieces of garden cane. Cut to required length and pop in holdall.
No messing with winders and no tangles. This might not be suitable if you have pulla bungs installed.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
These are what you need. They are from a firm called Newtak limited and I bought them in the 90s (company no longer around!), they are called rig roost. You attach the hook to a pin wind round the line, put it through the small groove on the side and then put it in the base of your number 3. They work really well and I used it when I was in the same situation as you.

given I’ve got 4 of them, I have spare 4s for my pole and I haven’t fished a venue where I’ve needed them for 6 years I would be prepared to send you a couple foc and just ask that you make a small charitable donation of your choice to the MNDA.

pm me your address if you want to do this.

Attachments

• CF152201-5C3A-4596-9177-E43102DECE75.jpeg
    CF152201-5C3A-4596-9177-E43102DECE75.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 15

matiny2k

These are what you need. They are from a firm called Newtak limited and I bought them in the 90s (company no longer around!), they are called rig roost. You attach the hook to a pin wind round the line, put it through the small groove on the side and then put it in the base of your number 3. They work really well and I used it when I was in the same situation as you. given I’ve got 4 of them, I have spare 4s for my pole and I haven’t fished a venue where I’ve needed them for 6 years I would be prepared to send you a couple foc and just ask that you make a small charitable donation of your choice to the MNDA. pm me your address if you want to do this.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Put a plummet on the spare kits, lay them on the roost with the rig coming back along the top 3 over the roost and on the floor. the plummet stops the wind blowing it about and stops the hook snagging.

johng19

me@home.com
Could just use the winder the rig comes off, wind it up till it's at the bottom of your 3 put a small elastic to keep in place. Iv done this for years never had a problem.