Matches on Rivers

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Yeah this season I'm going to be taking maggots/casters etc with me more often so I can chuck out a feeder or fish a float even on the barbel stretches just to see what I catch. Have also been recommended Ladyham which I'm going to check out for mixed bags.
i used to fish the stretch in Ironbridge (generally stright from work) with 3 pints of caster, 3 pints of hemp a float rod and stick float .4lb maxima straight though to a size 16 super spade. Had Barbel to 9lb 12oz along with minnows, bleak and gudgeon that were not bothered by the "heavy" gear. Great fun

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Used to fish the Bibblins stretch of the Wye just up from Monmouth. A knotted rope was a must for some pegs but if you could get comfy you could have a great days fishing. We've got the stretch up river from the rowing club now. l've never fished it but the club has made a few wooden pegs. Must make a trip up there and give it a go.

richox12

I remember the first time I fished the Severn (other than at Bewdley) and couldn't get over how high and how steep the banks were. Then noticed lots of rubbish high up in trees................that was a big clue !

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The Wye and Severn are the only two rivers that I fish regularly that I can expect to still catch fish on with 7 ft of extra water.
In fact. they're the only two that would be still in their banks!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have to say when I fish most rivers my first thought is find a good looking bit of water then find a good place to sit but on the Wye and Severn the first thought is always where I can safely sit lol

Robwooly

I rove for miles on the Severn, sometimes getting into the odd spot here and there where you wonder was it worth the effort and then knowing the answer when you try to get back up. Still it keeps you fit, wouldn't swap it for platforms that's for sure

tunna

We walked it the other day and he tends to outpace me haha so sure should be fine. We couldn't find the Sewage Works parking there but didn't look very hard. What we want though is a nice bay to fish from so we can share a peg so found a few likely looking spots there.

the parking at the sewage works is quite easy to find mate, go past the cardiac hill car park, ( where you parked before) continue on that road for approx 1.1/2 miles, just before you come to the "S" bend bridge over SV railway there is a turning on the left onto a concrete road,( look for the sign on right for Astbury falls), and its virtually opposite. just follow that to the bottom of the hill, where road goes around left hand bend at bottom, you park on verge there and walk across 1 field to river