Matches on Rivers

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Basically I've only walked a few BAA stretches so far. Blackstone looked the most likely for matches. This will be my first season fishing it properly on a BAA card though. BARBEL ALLEY. :)
Mate, the biggest barbel I have had was at Arley, second meadow, barbel alley is further up between Hampton Loade and Highley, Blackstone is not my cup of tea although further back above Bewdley Town is good roach water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Who controls the Bewdley town waters? That's something I've always wondered about as I hear them getting mentioned a lot.

Blackstone to me looked medium paced, so not the most Barbel-y stretch I'd seen. Barbel Alley I think was named after a sign outside a pub at Hampton? I fished there this winter for my biggest Barbel of 7lb. I had a lot of Barbel from Arley but the biggest was 5lb.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Who controls the Bewdley town waters? That's something I've always wondered about as I hear them getting mentioned a lot.

Blackstone to me looked medium paced, so not the most Barbel-y stretch I'd seen. Barbel Alley I think was named after a sign outside a pub at Hampton? I fished there this winter for my biggest Barbel of 7lb. I had a lot of Barbel from Arley but the biggest was 5lb.
I don't exactly know the limits but part of the town is free, then the rest is licenced, my biggest barbel was from Arley in October, over 12lb.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Knowle Sands is looking most likely for my first destinations there this season.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Having walked a few stretches of the Severn, with the exception of one place, Blackstone, that had plenty of platformed pegs, so far I am amazed that matches get held there. Partly due to lack of pegs, partly due to the fact that if you drew the end peg you’re in for a trek of a walk with match tackle, and partly because half of the pegs are not cut back. It’s certainly less ‘fair’ in terms of pegging than a fishery or even a canal.

I remember fishing club matches as a kid years ago on the Severn and the Warks Avon, the club started back in the 60s or 70s as a river fishing club though I was with them in the 90s and early 2000s, and remember perching precariously on the edge of the bank on my seatbox when I got to my peg to find It was not cut back. God knows how we were allowed to do that as a junior club? I cannot imagine it today with health and safety regulations.

So how is it done? What kind of numbers do you get on matches? Are other rivers less steep in bank compared to the Severn (I remember the Warks Avon being a bit flatter)? Or do people just get on with it like we used to as kids or maybe taking waders and just standing in the river?

NB. I'm not thinking of fishing river matches myself just wondering from those who do.
All our matches are on the Severn or Warks Avon and we just get on with it,some pegs are a little steep but you
just have to take extra care, i,ve been with the club for some 20 years and don,t recall anyone going into the drink yet.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah Blackstone my dad said he wanted to fish because you can park behind the peg, he will be Barbel fishing though, so I have tempted him into trying Knowle Sands instead for Barbel. Blackstone does look good though and like I say one of the best 'pegged' I've seen in terms of accessibility. You just have to get through the 'rock' in your car first.

I fished Arley RB 3 times last year, had 2 Barbel a Chub and a Roach the first time and the second time resulted in these 9 Barbel and a Chub, not the best photos, but as you can see they are all quite small, with fish number 9 being the biggest. Will be fishing it again this year.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
There are lots of good pegs upstream of Arley aswell, the shallows are very good, watched a young lad bag up there one day, all big fish, also Cromwells hole a few hundred yards lower.
Blackstone has good accessibility due to the open anglers hard work clearing the pegs on work parties.
If you drive through the rock on the other side, you get access to the wribbenhall stretch which is deep but you can park behind your pegs, don't forget Coombey farm aswell, between Highley and Arley.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I would,nt totally dismiss Blackstone for Barbel but you may have a long wait for one to turn up.
It depends on your patience levels,i did have one last year on bread in a match whilst fishing for bream
in the really deep water,so there is a chance. Even the prolific stretches can be hit and miss,my way of thinking with
Blackstone is with the variety of fish in the stretch if a particular fish is,nt feeding there is always something else to target.(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah this season I'm going to be taking maggots/casters etc with me more often so I can chuck out a feeder or fish a float even on the barbel stretches just to see what I catch. Have also been recommended Ladyham which I'm going to check out for mixed bags.

bluemack

Site Supporter
There are lots of good pegs upstream of Arley aswell, the shallows are very good, watched a young lad bag up there one day, all big fish, also Cromwells hole a few hundred yards lower.
Blackstone has good accessibility due to the open anglers hard work clearing the pegs on work parties.
If you drive through the rock on the other side, you get access to the wribbenhall stretch which is deep but you can park behind your pegs, don't forget Coombey farm aswell, between Highley and Arley.
I reckon there is more fishing gear in Cromwell hole than in my local tackle shop!!! i drew it on a match a couple of
seasons ago and snagged up so many times you would,nt believe, I did catch a near 5lb chub that day to finish 3rd
so it turned out o.k in the end.:)

Robwooly

Cromwells hole is flippin' deep too, so many better pegs I think it's the name that draws people there

Maybe it the Cavalier attitude ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember I fished towards the end of the second meadow downstream RB at Arley and it was deep enough there, I blanked that day fishing for Barbel when people caught in the shallows but someone came past looking for a peg and mentioned a 'hole' which might have been that one further downstream? He said he was going to fish caster and hemp on waggler there.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I remember I fished towards the end of the second meadow downstream RB at Arley and it was deep enough there, I blanked that day fishing for Barbel when people caught in the shallows but someone came past looking for a peg and mentioned a 'hole' which might have been that one further downstream? He said he was going to fish caster and hemp on waggler there.
I know a peg there that is around 15ft deep or more off the bank when the river is normal level, I caught my biggest there but that was in October.
In summer, the shallow runs are generally better in the fastest water.
If you chuck to the far bank in the first meadow you will have a few.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Yeah Blackstone my dad said he wanted to fish because you can park behind the peg, he will be Barbel fishing though, so I have tempted him into trying Knowle Sands instead for Barbel.

Hope your Dad's fit ! The track down to the river from the car park at Knowle Sands isn't known as Coronary Hill for no reason...
Good stretch though

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
We walked it the other day and he tends to outpace me haha so sure should be fine. We couldn't find the Sewage Works parking there but didn't look very hard. What we want though is a nice bay to fish from so we can share a peg so found a few likely looking spots there.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Try Highly at the end of the cottages and cast into the chanel 3/4 across feeding 10mm halibut pellets and the same on the hook. After tea session resulted in 9 barbel and 5 chub for 80lbs plus. Best Barbel 9lb 12oz and best chun 5lb 8oz. PBs for both

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
the OP simply describes a natural river, welcome to the "old" days.
My first match on the Rother after returning to Kent from 13yrs in Shropshire was a near mile walk, no trolley and a peg I could only stand up in.
A lot of the time its about taking the right gear, no need for large seatbox, pole and pole rollers and multiple nets on a lot of river venues and then subsequently no need for a trolley. A platform, carryall and rod holdall would cover a lot of what you need.