Matches on Rivers

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Having walked a few stretches of the Severn, with the exception of one place, Blackstone, that had plenty of platformed pegs, so far I am amazed that matches get held there. Partly due to lack of pegs, partly due to the fact that if you drew the end peg you’re in for a trek of a walk with match tackle, and partly because half of the pegs are not cut back. It’s certainly less ‘fair’ in terms of pegging than a fishery or even a canal.

I remember fishing club matches as a kid years ago on the Severn and the Warks Avon, the club started back in the 60s or 70s as a river fishing club though I was with them in the 90s and early 2000s, and remember perching precariously on the edge of the bank on my seatbox when I got to my peg to find It was not cut back. God knows how we were allowed to do that as a junior club? I cannot imagine it today with health and safety regulations.

So how is it done? What kind of numbers do you get on matches? Are other rivers less steep in bank compared to the Severn (I remember the Warks Avon being a bit flatter)? Or do people just get on with it like we used to as kids or maybe taking waders and just standing in the river?

NB. I'm not thinking of fishing river matches myself just wondering from those who do.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
It is bad enough finding a pleasure peg on the severn that is even. It is a natural river though with fluctuating levels. On the Trent there are now huge boulders for pegs in the Newark area and the Witham is all pegged. Guess it depends on the river

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah, makes sense! When I pleasure fished Arley last year it got so busy people were fishing where you wouldn’t even think there was a peg, just with a rod pod down a steep bank and stood at the top of the bank only venturing down to play fish.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Had some good days , or evenings at Arley near the pub. There was a peg with a bush just above the faster water. By casting to the edge of the crease a barbel or two could be had. It used to have a big white sign with two posts, but I guess that will be long gone. Nice easy banking too. My favourite peg was the one at Hampton Loade with two rocks in the river below an eddy

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't remember the sign but it sounds like a peg I fished last year with a bush and a crease. It was on the RB I fished. First peg in second meadow was the best, when I had to walk further down due to pegs being taken I ended up in a 'deep' peg and blanked.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Is that the peg just through the white gate? My mate had some huge chub from there that took a fancy to 8mm Ambush pellets. Boy do they stink!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can't remember the white gate but it is just past a gate so maybe!

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
sounds like it. A deep hole on the inside of the crease just down from that fast water. Not fished the Severn for a couple of years since the loss of day tickets. A long way to travel from lincs but enjoyed the day tickets at Arley and the pub food was edible. Was it the Harbour Inn? Also had good days on Berts stretch above the Ship Inn. Do you know what Mr Zekalo? I am tempted to go down again if able this year.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Plenty of long walks here on the Thames but the pegs are generally pretty comfortable when you get to them. Numbers wise club matches are usually 10-15 but the big Oxford league matches can be more than 3 times that. Similar tale with pegs, walks and numbers on the Ouse and Avon minus the big leagues matches as I don’t think they are as common on those rivers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've got my £40 BAA card so can't really complain about the amount of fishing I can do on that though very tempted to try Highley at the Ship Inn as it gets mentioned a lot. Speaking to my sister about it today actually and she said they have a lido there?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t know if the ship inn stretch is typically good or I just got lucky but I dropped onto it for my first time on the Severn and had 30 odd dace, half a dozen roach, a 4lb barbel and a 5lb chub having not really had a clue what to do so I should think more experienced Severn anglers must do really well on it. My grandad stayed on it all week and had good nets of roach, dace, perch and gudgeon everyday with the odd barbel.

Robwooly

I fish the Severn a lot but not in matches. The match anglers usually leave some of their kit up top, like barrows etc, If it's a steep swim a rope/spike combo can be used to get down and more so to get back up, it's proper countryside so no health and safety nonsense. It's surprising how old some of the fellas are that get up and down those banks with all that gear. If you get a heavy shower when it's dry and dusty it can be a sod to get back up so bare that in mind when you slide down in to a peg

Ps lots of huge roach around arley/highley

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is going to be my 'zone' for mostly Barbel fishing I think with the odd bit on float and maggot feeder.

Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 19.27.47.png

I can see Chelmarsh Reservoir on the map too which is another place I will be trying when I eventually get my Kinver Freeliners card in a few years after being on the waiting list.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Thats the area I used to holiday. Spent many a week at the Unicorn Inn -hampton loade, Dinney lodges -chelmarsh, the cottages at the ship inn and the lodges at arley near the gravel island. All great locations. Jad some great fish in the BAA stretch below the Unicorn. You are a lucky man

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The Severn and Wye have by far the steepest banks of the midlands match circuit, they are powerful rivers that have a big height range when going in to flood.
how big are the matches? these days a 50 pegger is a big match. The Wye champs at 140 pegs is one of the biggest “opens” on the river circuit. I suspect the Clive Smith memorial at Bewdley is probably the biggest on the Severn ... 60 or so pegs. Bridgnorth was attracting similar numbers ten years ago, but I don’t think it’s quite as popular now.

however, 50 years ago the BAA annual was 4000 pegs up and down the Severn and Avon.
i Fished a Severn national in the early 90s with 80 teams of 12, and the biggest ever national - the last “all England” - was fished by 116 teams of 12 on the river in 1971.

There are not many river venues that have comfortable wooden platforms throughout (or at all), so waders and a platform barrow are pretty useful. And yes, there is a lot of visible variation in pegs on most rivers ... but there is also lots of variation on canals and lakes. The same match anglers often feature in the prizes on rivers, so it can’t be that unfair.

still one of the most successful anglers on the barbel matches on the Severn is John Stockton ... who is over 80 but still manages those banks.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
You obviously don't much about these stretches, Bewdley open matches? Bewdley float only? These matches run from right up the Severn past dowles to the bottom of Blackstone.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I've got my £40 BAA card so can't really complain about the amount of fishing I can do on that though very tempted to try Highley at the Ship Inn as it gets mentioned a lot. Speaking to my sister about it today actually and she said they have a lido there?
The ship is day ticket, no baa licence.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Basically I've only walked a few BAA stretches so far. Blackstone looked the most likely for matches. This will be my first season fishing it properly on a BAA card though. BARBEL ALLEY. :)