Matches & Covid.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
So do my in laws and extended family, a number of who are doctors. One of them, together with his wife, passed away in the early stages of the pandemic.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
so if they are in PH then you should know that the rules are way stricter and have been enforced a 100 times more than here, hell even my missus went to jail for 24hr as the rules changed and she didnt know.

and they have been track and traced twice as well and taken for testing, everything is much more rigorous over there though is slackening off now and the economy is on its arse!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The wife and I had symptoms as described in Dec 2019 and Jan this year dunno if it was Covid but we were both very ill over the Christmas holidays and the after effects were still felt in Feb... rather than locking down and waiting for the 'R' rate to hit 1 we should have locked down until the 'R' rate was 0... easy to say with hindsight but its a bald fact
Balance - whilst locking down until the R rate was 0 might be the answer to Covid, the damage that would do to the economy, mental health, care of other conditions and the long term effect of mass unemployment.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Balance - whilst locking down until the R rate was 0 might be the answer to Covid, the damage that would do to the economy, mental health, care of other conditions and the long term effect of mass unemployment.
and the second wave is doing what to the populace and the economy exactly....???

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A lockdown would not have worked, all you have to do is look at the present reports of the ferry ports to see the number of wagon drivers who come from the continent on a daily basis to see that irrespective of locking down the island people will still have been required to come on and off it.
In addition the number of flights in and out, cars carrying people, and that's before any mention of dinghies.
It would have been unworkable in practice.

Arry

Site Supporter
It wouldn't have taken long to get the R rate down to zero... a few more weeks, who knows maybe less, the main thing is "People" are still being idiots and that's what's keeping infection rates high... and they are the reason for the second lockdown... and all the tosh about the UK causing the second strain is all smoke and mirrors.. the second strain was discovered in Spain around June time IIRC....

Arry

Site Supporter
If we'd have shut borders and implemeted controls at all points of entry we'd be a lot better off.... but that in itself causes its own problems and is easy to comment on with 20-20 hindsight

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
does make me laugh how people would know exactly what to do and how to manage a event that has never happened in human history and how they would have made every choice as the correct one and controlled a virus, people and economy all at the same time!

This event has never happened before, sure we have had viruses and pandemics but not in the modern world with the ease of transport, mobility, news and travel at every level of most peoples lives and the ease with which people are free to roam and travel and the silly amounts of real and fake news/information that people have access to.

none of us could have done it any better nor do we know the impact of having lockdowns v non lockdowns or how to manage the economy and everything else that has had a action and reaction or a impact and a sub impact.

There is no AI or Machine learning that could have predicted this, the fact it has happened will mean that in the future there should be much better plans/predictions/actions/knowledge but lets stop kidding ourselves saying if XYZ had happened we would be XYZ better/worse off, none of us know as it didnt happen and the associated impacts would not be known.

All of the above it totally logical! the only thing i have learned from this is that you cannot rely on humans using common sense and rational thought! that is totally clear

Paul.P

Blimey !, all i wanted to know is whether other clubs have been as lapse as ours has been ?, & it appears the one thing we pretty much all agree on is that is that us so called highly intelligent beings can't act on common sense & rational thought..............sad species, aint we !!!

AdeB

Site Supporter
does make me laugh how people would know exactly what to do and how to manage a event that has never happened in human history and how they would have made every choice as the correct one and controlled a virus, people and economy all at the same time!

This event has never happened before, sure we have had viruses and pandemics but not in the modern world with the ease of transport, mobility, news and travel at every level of most peoples lives and the ease with which people are free to roam and travel and the silly amounts of real and fake news/information that people have access to.

none of us could have done it any better nor do we know the impact of having lockdowns v non lockdowns or how to manage the economy and everything else that has had a action and reaction or a impact and a sub impact.

There is no AI or Machine learning that could have predicted this, the fact it has happened will mean that in the future there should be much better plans/predictions/actions/knowledge but lets stop kidding ourselves saying if XYZ had happened we would be XYZ better/worse off, none of us know as it didnt happen and the associated impacts would not be known.

All of the above it totally logical! the only thing i have learned from this is that you cannot rely on humans using common sense and rational thought! that is totally clear
Very well said (y)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Blimey !, all i wanted to know is whether other clubs have been as lapse as ours has been ?, & it appears the one thing we pretty much all agree on is that is that us so called highly intelligent beings can't act on common sense & rational thought..............sad species, aint we !!!

Well, to get back on topic (ish) I don’t fish club matches, but the opens and leagues I fish nave been well organised, spaced out at draw, masks on, only two allowed in the shop at Viaduct (with masks), no walking round or gathering in groups, no following the scales in groups, masks at weigh in and no presentation after. I feel safer fishing matches than when I have to go in a shop or on the odd occasion I have to leave my home desk and venture into work.

Paul_T

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there will be a lot less matches from 00:01 Boxing Day as more regions are going into Tier 4.

rd350lc

^^^here here^^^^’
If boris locked the country down for 3-4wk at the beginning we’d all have been clear to go about as normal. By locked down the country I mean everything, no travel in or out, no travel within the country and only go to supermarket once a week at time slots.
I thought that originally, but the virus was here and being spread long before the government announced anything .
I know of 6 people that had the symptoms in the November previous , can't prove it was it , but the symptoms were the same.
If we'd have shut borders and implemeted controls at all points of entry we'd be a lot better off.... but that in itself causes its own problems and is easy to comment on with 20-20 hindsight
I thought this about the borders orgininally and it probably would have help with the spread of things but it was here a long time before it was broadcast and the effectiveness of a strategy like that is lost.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there will be a lot less matches from 00:01 Boxing Day as more regions are going into Tier 4.
At least all the shop staff can have Boxing Day off for a change

Warden

Site Supporter
It would be wrong to blame match angler's for the current problems alone but in general the actions of some have not helped I fished quiet a few matches this year trying to follow the rules saw lot's who were not.