Matches & Covid.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My club have knocked them on the head for most of the year, only the March outing went ahead pleasure fishing has been allowed since the AT deemed it okay but that's as far as its gone...

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Guys and ladies - please get things into perspective. Lone angler out in the fresh air, fine. Group of anglers together holding a match-not fine.
with (no) respect - utter tosh

it's perfectly possible to hold a match within social distancing guidelines.
The problem is not matches but people who seem unable to stay 2 metres apart.

Either they're all deaf or they must be Daiwa pole owners ;)

fredradac

Site Supporter

we will have to agree to disagree

Paul.P

Not so sure about the daiwa pole owners, but agree its people, not the fact its a match, but then if there were no matches it wouldn't happen in the 1st place.

Arry

Site Supporter

Therein lies the problem..... "people"..... there are some who don't have the intelligence to do as they are told hence the "No Matches" call... they are trying to allow folks to wet a line and in the same breath legislating for stupid... Christ, some folks can't even go into a supermarket without acting like morons, so what chance has match angling got... ??
Why can't folks just accept its a schitt time and poke up with the rules until its all clear...??? by ignoring/questioning them they are just running the risk of prolonging the whole situation... and for what...?? it boils down to selfishness in the long run...

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
^^^here here^^^^’
If boris locked the country down for 3-4wk at the beginning we’d all have been clear to go about as normal. By locked down the country I mean everything, no travel in or out, no travel within the country and only go to supermarket once a week at time slots.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
the country would never be locked down, people would be in uproar and they cant even follow simple guidelines as is.

Whatever the government did would have been wrong, jesus! whatever they do opposition and retarded people would do the exact opposite. just look at the retarded actions so far, people couldnt even stop match fishing or wearing a mask! pisses me off

I would have loved martial law and full lock down but it would never happen here

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
“”not allowed to leave your peg & follow the weigh in,””
Why would anyone follow the weigh in? I’d be packing stuff away
It’s something that is often recommended to newcomers (and more experienced match anglers) follow, the scales, see what was caught from each peg, ask questions of the anglers, catch snippets of conversation and bank it all in the grey cells for future reference.

Also in a team match, the captain expects you to report your points score when arriving back at the car park.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Not so sure about the daiwa pole owners, but agree its people, not the fact its a match, but then if there were no matches it wouldn't happen in the 1st place.
The Daiwa pole owners was simply a wry observation about the “stated” length.
I have two myself :)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
^^^here here^^^^’
If boris locked the country down for 3-4wk at the beginning we’d all have been clear to go about as normal. By locked down the country I mean everything, no travel in or out, no travel within the country and only go to supermarket once a week at time slots.

And as soon as that Lockdown was released cases would rise as has been seen. No country other than New Zealand has really been able to protected itself.

rd350lc

^^^here here^^^^’
I thought that originally, but the virus was here and being spread long before the government announced anything .
I know of 6 people that had the symptoms in the November previous , can't prove it was it , but the symptoms were the same.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
The Philippines has done a great job with protecting itself but you wouldnt know about it in the general news but cases are very very low but they are extremely strict, and really strict rules from the outset which were enforced harshly!

Arry

Site Supporter
The wife and I had symptoms as described in Dec 2019 and Jan this year dunno if it was Covid but we were both very ill over the Christmas holidays and the after effects were still felt in Feb... rather than locking down and waiting for the 'R' rate to hit 1 we should have locked down until the 'R' rate was 0... easy to say with hindsight but its a bald fact

AdeB

Site Supporter
The transmission rate of the virus is tiny in the open air - hence why all the 'expert' advice regarding having granny round for Xmas Day recommend sitting her in the garden. :p
Wearing masks is overkill IMO

Simon
Not wearing masks is kill IMO

JLK

I had the persistent cough symptoms backend of November into January last/this year and it just went on its own accord. I was going through jakemans sweets for fun and was the only thing that eased it along with drinking plenty of water. Then we get the government advice leaflet in May? With the persistent cough symptoms being one of two key symptoms.
I was in an office full of folk who all had this cough at some point in that time frame and one even lost their sense of taste and smell. Non of us had heard of covid at that time. I even went fishing every week.
Also being clinically vulnerable having lost a third of my heart function a few years ago, makes me either extremely very lucky to be still alive due to having a good immune system or I didn't have it.
Makes you think doesn't it just how infected this country was back then in all actuality.

alsur

Site Supporter
It probably was in country before we knew but just because you had something similar doesn't mean you had covid, we had something in early Feb but I tested negative on a blood test back in May.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
The Philippines has done a great job with protecting itself but you wouldnt know about it in the general news but cases are very very low but they are extremely strict, and really strict rules from the outset which were enforced harshly!

I wouldn't be believing any of the stats that are coming out of the Philippines. Levels of testing will be pretty low compared the developed world and many covid related deaths will be going unreported. That goes for most of the developing countries unfortunately.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
my missus lives there and i have a house there and i know a few people there, im not referring to stats but real life accounts