Matches & Covid.

Paul.P

I was just wondering how many small club matches have been as lapse as ours when it comes to protection from this virus. I've watched big matches where your not allowed to leave your peg & follow the weigh in, & the you & the people who are weighing in have to wear masks when they get to your peg, & they have a special frame so you don't have to touch the weigh net. Our matches have had none of these, although it has been mentioned by a few, certainly by me, but the majority just seem to think its ok to carry on as before this virus, are we on our own doing this, or is this common place ?

Paul.P

Thats very true Smiffy, it quite concerns me as most of our anglers are 60 plus, trouble is the younger members generally do the weighing in & for whatever reason they have they don't seem to think protection is necessary, im afraid unless they change i'm seriously considering not going until vaccinated.

Paul_T

We went from T2 to T4 in the space of 24 hours on Saturday, and any local matches (club & open) were immediately cancelled on the Sunday. The Tring Anglers cancelled their Xmas match, and the open on Willows Lake St Albans lake was cancelled.

Good luck and stay safe to any of you in lower tiers that can still fish matches.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The transmission rate of the virus is tiny in the open air - hence why all the 'expert' advice regarding having granny round for Xmas Day recommend sitting her in the garden. :p
Wearing masks is overkill IMO

Simon

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
If you felt the need to post it on here you must have your own doubts about how safe it is. Let your feelings be known to the club, I'm sure others will follow suit. Stay Safe

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
You'll see in my blog that Rookery Waters follow the rules. I don't have to touch anything. They don't allow more four anglers into the shop to buy tackle or enter the match (someone stands at the door to ensure this). I empty my entry fee into a pot and they draw for me. When the scales come round I empty my net into the bag and they empty the bag. It is true that some anglers tend to follow the scales, at least up to the next man, but they keep a respectable distance from each other.

The cafe takes orders for food and will deliver it to your peg.

I always take a photograph of the weigh sheet - they will lay it on a table for me, or sometimes hold it out at arms length if I do it on the bank. I often take a picture of an angler with a catch, but obviously that doesn't involve getting closer than two yards.

The same rules applied on the bank when my two clubs fished this summer.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It varies a lot as some just want to get on with it and fish matches right through the lockdown a couple of clubs were caught out by the police and stopped mid match but no action was taken and others cancelled all matches since March and only fish small knock ups between a few or dont bother weighing in mostly to honour away bookings.
Nobody is compelled to fish a match so its up to the individual to decide if the risk is worth the reward and as long as you protect yourself its up to the rest to do the same.
A guy called china virus age 19 has won all our club trophies for 2020 hopefully he will be challenged in 2021.

90sGear

Site Supporter
Any match organiser could be fined 10k if the match is observed and reported as not being run to the required standards not to mention the bad image it can project. If people don’t want to follow rules ie at least stay apart, wear a mask when weighing in etc perhaps they should be the ones not allowed to attend.
They may feel there is no risk , if so let them carry on but avoid alternatively raise your concerns and ask for some steps to be made if enough of you want safety and they want the pools money I’m sure a deal can be brokered!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I was just wondering how many small club matches have been as lapse as ours when it comes to protection from this virus. I've watched big matches where your not allowed to leave your peg & follow the weigh in, & the you & the people who are weighing in have to wear masks when they get to your peg, & they have a special frame so you don't have to touch the weigh net. Our matches have had none of these, although it has been mentioned by a few, certainly by me, but the majority just seem to think its ok to carry on as before this virus, are we on our own doing this, or is this common place ?
I havent been for about 5 months for one reason or another ,not just covid. When i was fishing matches i had my own sanitizer and kept my distance . Our club was pretty good to be fair .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It is up to everyone, including the organiser and fishery venue to ensure that matches are carried out safely and within the guidance offered, and by rights in order to do that and to prove you have done so, a risk assessment should be carried out and recorded and all those participating to be made aware of it and it's contents.
Anyone deviating away from the risk assessment should be asked to leave.

Some would argue that all matches are carried out safely, that all match organisers ensure the guidance is adhered to, and that all venues ensure that people using their facilities do so abiding to the guidance. However, we all know in reality a lot of people pay lip service to it yet ignore it.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
“”not allowed to leave your peg & follow the weigh in,””
Why would anyone follow the weigh in? I’d be packing stuff away

Paul.P

The people who do the weigh in are fishing the match, so the weigh in occurs pretty much after everybody has packed up anyway, & believe me by the time they get to weigh the last man, most of the others are stood behind. I know what my options are, just wondered how widespread this is occuring, sounds like The Rookery is doing it correctly which is good to hear !

JayD

It used to be common back when I used to match fish. My mate and I used to volunteer to weigh in, and packed our gear away before we started, so there was plenty of time for others to do the same.
There's a lad who regularly posts his club matches on Youtube. It's interesting to see how the obeying of the 'distancing' rules on those matches have changed over the course of this year. They were strict, and vocal about them at the beginning, but now seem much more blasé about them, sadly the same as a large part of the population.

John.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Always followed the scales for any team match. There are always match anglers that will try to “talk their weight in” if it was tight and it’s always good to keep an eye on the scalesman on such occasions😉😉.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I just thought the fishery would weigh and then give results over a brew in club cafe. They missing a few extra coin there.

fredradac

Site Supporter
Guys and ladies - please get things into perspective. Lone angler out in the fresh air, fine. Group of anglers together holding a match-not fine.