Matchbox No More

nejohn

Site Supporter
It is a shame I bought one when Jim owned the company and the quality was very good and the service was great also, but it did appear that when the new owners took over the quality went down hill there was a rumour that he moved the manufacturing from the factory that Jim used in order to cut costs but obviously the reduction in price seemed to come with a reduction in quality. A good second hand one either an S class, SX, Pyramid or azure still makes a good buy and they can be often had at bargain prices

rudd

Site Supporter
Shame...I still have an S class box in me loft... 25mm legs footplate and base unit... great box... very sturdy... don't use it any more...😕
Get it on gumtree man.
Just had a big tackle clear out myself, reels, rods, shakey box, tilley, floats, vintage tat 😯, holdal either via ebay or gumtree and made £350.
It was all cluttering up garage gathering dust and in all likelihood would have stayed there getting in the way of kit I use.
Now cluttering up someone elses gaff and hopefully will get used!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I had been thinking about getting one next year, because I like a lot of deep drawers, which the MatchBox had. I will now get a Preston Inception 3D 150 instead, as it has a lot of decent storage space. I don't like the modern boxes with separate cassettes underneath and lots of winder trays. The Preston box I've been looking at, is the closest I've seen to an old school box in my price range. I think if the quality of the MatchBox boxes had declined, then it's inevitable that they would fold. A shame because I like old school boxes.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Sad, I really liked my Matchbox, but when I broke the frame (fell on it hard) I rang to order the Azurro, the company had just changed hands and he had nothing but said he was going to try and make them in the uk.

I think they needed to come up with a sliding footplate, plus flexibility to add different drawers rather than pre made units which often had a mix of front and side drawers, I think most people like one or the other! Basically become a new modern Brilo with a sliding footplate, would have had plenty of fans especially as they were the lightest boxes.

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Probably tried to cut corners and save costs under the new ownership? I remember the original boxes back in the 90s. I had a 'Smart Box', a cheaper copy of MatchBox and even that seemed a better build than the new ones.
I had a Smart Box too back in the day as part of Cov Juniors - the guy who made them ran the team Carl someone - can’t remember his last name.

Ade1

Site Supporter
I had one of the last Pyramid style boxes from Matchbox and it was great. Sold it and went to the darkside (Rive) as I needed more winder storage and a bit more flexibility, ie remove and add trays.
Hi John, If you sold your last Matchbox along with some spares, in amongst a job lot of rods and other stuff I am pretty sure I bought it (are you somewhere nr Newbury?) I am glad to say the Matchbox is still going strong !!

johnfranks

Hi John, If you sold your last Matchbox along with some spares, in amongst a job lot of rods and other stuff I am pretty sure I bought it (are you somewhere nr Newbury?) I am glad to say the Matchbox is still going strong !!
Yeah thats was me Ade, a while ago now. Glad the box is still going strong. The S Class were well made

derwentboy

Site Supporter
I nearly bought a secondhand Matchbox until I came across Plattforms boxes (made in UK but sadly again no longer made) which were made of just aluminium. Really well made ..you can see how they're built and welded and a very comfy seat and have a couple now (did have 3 but just sold one). I don't like plastic bits and pieces and fittings if I can avoid it...the only thing they don't have though is a proper full sliding footplate but it's no biggie really. So with the demise of Matchbox does that mean there isn't a UK manufacturer of boxes anymore? If that's so it's a shame.

DAF 3600

I have two boxes, a canal stool which at 73 years of age is the one i use all the time, the second one 2 sidedraw model just sitting in the shed with the large folding sidetray. Had a brainwave and thought i'll let somebody else have it and put it up for sale. £40 and not one enquiry. Pics of canal box and box for sale.

Attachments

• IMG0830A.jpg
    IMG0830A.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG0832A.jpg
    IMG0832A.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG0833A.jpg
    IMG0833A.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG0834A.jpg
    IMG0834A.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG0824A.jpg
    IMG0824A.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG0825A.jpg
    IMG0825A.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG0826A.jpg
    IMG0826A.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG0827A.jpg
    IMG0827A.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG0829A.jpg
    IMG0829A.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 13

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I have two boxes, a canal stool which at 73 years of age is the one i use all the time, the second one 2 sidedraw model just sitting in the shed with the large folding sidetray. Had a brainwave and thought i'll let somebody else have it and put it up for sale. £40 and not one enquiry. Pics of canal box and box for sale.
73 years. I didn’t know they had been going that long. That’s good going for a box🥴🥴😂

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I nearly bought a secondhand Matchbox until I came across Plattforms boxes (made in UK but sadly again no longer made) which were made of just aluminium. Really well made ..you can see how they're built and welded and a very comfy seat and have a couple now (did have 3 but just sold one). I don't like plastic bits and pieces and fittings if I can avoid it...the only thing they don't have though is a proper full sliding footplate but it's no biggie really. So with the demise of Matchbox does that mean there isn't a UK manufacturer of boxes anymore? If that's so it's a shame.
I suspect that most of the UK seatbox manufacturers over time have been "hobby manufacturers" who have had a great concept, but not enough motivation to continue beyond retirement and not enough commercial leverage to charge "Rive equivalent" prices.
eg. Norman Butler, Boss, Brilo, Plattforms and now Matchbox
I know that Jim didn't make a lot of money from the manufacturing nor the sale to the next (and final) owner.