Matchbox No More

johnfranks

Just been on the Website looking for a light canal box and the Website is closed. A sad day, I owned one of the first made by Clint in the 90s and had a couple of Pyramid Boxes but I guess things have moved on and the demise of ASI and BOSS shows that people want different styles now. What to get now ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm a MatchBox owner having bought a new one a year or two ago. This is worrying when it comes to getting parts/accessories etc. Sad to hear.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@johnfranks ......According to the local scuttlebutt John the new Matchbox builds were no where near as good....:(
This is what my dad said when I just told him the news, "I thought they would, I don't think the quality was up to scratch".

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Aye, I've seen the old and the new build....Such a shame...:(
Probably tried to cut corners and save costs under the new ownership? I remember the original boxes back in the 90s. I had a 'Smart Box', a cheaper copy of MatchBox and even that seemed a better build than the new ones.

Total

Site Supporter
Probably tried to cut corners and save costs under the new ownership? I remember the original boxes back in the 90s. I had a 'Smart Box', a cheaper copy of MatchBox and even that seemed a better build than the new ones.
You can't cut corners mate.....You soon get found out.....(y).....I've had Boss Box's since they first appeared.....Cost arm and a leg etc at the time, but longevity speaks volumes....(y)....Mind you, I do look after my clobber....

johnfranks

I had one of the last Pyramid style boxes from Matchbox and it was great. Sold it and went to the darkside (Rive) as I needed more winder storage and a bit more flexibility, ie remove and add trays.

Total

Site Supporter
I had one of the last Pyramid style boxes from Matchbox and it was great. Sold it and went to the darkside (Rive) as I needed more winder storage and a bit more flexibility, ie remove and add trays.
Still using a Rive box John?:unsure:

Total

Site Supporter
Didn't you have some damage in yours soon after you bought your Matchbox?:unsure:

Total

Site Supporter
No, now I have an Octbox. Not everyone's cup of tea but suits me. No need for a trolley as wheels attach to it and actually work. And it doesn't creak lol
They always look well made, but as you say a 'Marmite' thing....(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Didn't you have some damage in yours soon after you bought your Matchbox?:unsure:
Yeah mostly minor things, just a chip to the wood and one of the 'pop' rivets popped out that holds the strap in. But the main issue was the 'metal' buckles on the strap kept breaking, they weren't strong enough to carry the box... so I've currently just the shoulder strap held on with a cable tie in place of the buckles.

I still like the overall aesthetic of the box, it's not plastic like a lot of boxes, so these things were a major disappointment.

I also find theres a few too many knobs on the telescopic legs and footplate system, that it can get confusing at times, I've only just got used to adjusting it, but think this is part and parcel of having a footplate and telescopic legs on any box.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I looked at the title and thought that this was going to be about little cars..................

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Shame...I still have an S class box in me loft... 25mm legs footplate and base unit... great box... very sturdy... don't use it any more...😕