Match

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I booked into a match yesterday after looking at the forecast, the match is tomorrow (Monday), as the last 2 have been persisting it down with rain of the cold kind that you get this time of year. Yesterday the forecast was saying sunny, no rain and about 9-10 degrees. I looked at the forecast this evening and it’s now 1-3 degrees with a 40- 88% chance of sleet . Oh the joys of winter fishing. I don’t feel the cold, but I will be dressed up like the Nook of the South in the morning.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Overnight temperatures of -3oc across a lot of the UK tonight - it's going to be a cold 'un

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good luck rather you than me!

Tbh with the temperatures forecast this week and the county flooded I’m not too bothered about being stuck in til the 5th isolating as I don’t feel I’ll be missing much fishing wise this week. That said I’ll probably be so bored by midweek that I’d happily take a freezing blank to just get out 🙁

Total

Site Supporter
I booked into a match yesterday after looking at the forecast, the match is tomorrow (Monday), as the last 2 have been persisting it down with rain of the cold kind that you get this time of year. Yesterday the forecast was saying sunny, no rain and about 9-10 degrees. I looked at the forecast this evening and it’s now 1-3 degrees with a 40- 88% chance of sleet . Oh the joys of winter fishing. I don’t feel the cold, but I will be dressed up like the Nook of the South in the morning.

Where you off to Sam?:unsure:

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Good luck matey, cant wait to fill a keepnet full of fish again. 👍

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Got up this morning at 6.15 to do my animal chores, open the back door to snow coming down. Hey ho, did my jobs, loaded my gear in the van. Got to Ivy house in about 15mins, just in time for the draw at 8.30. Got peg 8 on Heron lake, so not a bad draw. Heron has only got F1s and small carp in it, with a few Chub. A certain Mr Des Shipp was also there again.
set up 2 pole rigs . A 4x 14 Chianti and a 4x12 F1 maggot for across, and a small feeder rod for right over. Potted some groundbait and micros in at 10m and 14.5m . Started on the 10m line with red maggot on the hook. Guy to my left had a fish first cast on the waggled across, then the guy to my right had one on the pole at 10m. They both then had another fish each before I caught my first one. I then had two more quickly after that, then lost one and couldnt get another bite. Refed and went over my 14.5 m line and had a couple, then I lost another on this line. I then refer this line , but the wind was getting up, so I wasn’t sure if I would fish it again. Went back on my 10m line , still with red maggot on the hook. I was a little way behind both of the guys either side of me. Bites were slow on maggot , so I changed to expander, first a 4mm which gave me a fish right away. It slowed again , so I put on a 6mm, well we were away then, with some decent size F1s and carp coming for the rest of the match. Weighed in nearly 21lb to beat the guy on my right, who had 18lb , but not catching the guy on my left , who had 28lb and finished 3rd. Mr Shipp won with 40lb and the guy next to him was second with 35lb. I was I think 4th, perhaps 5th, so quite pleased.

Wednesday is another match at the same venue, but a different lake. There are some big carp in there, as well as a lot of silvers.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Got up this morning at 6.15 to do my animal chores, open the back door to snow coming down. Hey ho, did my jobs, loaded my gear in the van. Got to Ivy house in about 15mins, just in time for the draw at 8.30. Got peg 8 on Heron lake, so not a bad draw. Heron has only got F1s and small carp in it, with a few Chub. A certain Mr Des Shipp was also there again.
set up 2 pole rigs . A 4x 14 Chianti and a 4x12 F1 maggot for across, and a small feeder rod for right over. Potted some groundbait and micros in at 10m and 14.5m . Started on the 10m line with red maggot on the hook. Guy to my left had a fish first cast on the waggled across, then the guy to my right had one on the pole at 10m. They both then had another fish each before I caught my first one. I then had two more quickly after that, then lost one and couldnt get another bite. Refed and went over my 14.5 m line and had a couple, then I lost another on this line. I then refer this line , but the wind was getting up, so I wasn’t sure if I would fish it again. Went back on my 10m line , still with red maggot on the hook. I was a little way behind both of the guys either side of me. Bites were slow on maggot , so I changed to expander, first a 4mm which gave me a fish right away. It slowed again , so I put on a 6mm, well we were away then, with some decent size F1s and carp coming for the rest of the match. Weighed in nearly 21lb to beat the guy on my right, who had 18lb , but not catching the guy on my left , who had 28lb and finished 3rd. Mr Shipp won with 40lb and the guy next to him was second with 35lb. I was I think 4th, perhaps 5th, so quite pleased.

Wednesday is another match at the same venue, but a different lake. There are some big carp in there, as well as a lot of silvers.
Very well done Sam. Nice one. Not a bad weight at all this time of year. 👍

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Very well done Sam. Nice one. Not a bad weight at all this time of year. 👍
Cheers Mick , that bl++dy Des Shipp is doing my head in. I would have been in the money if he hadn’t turned up. I don’t know how the bloke catches so many fish. I was opposite him in a match a while ago , and you see him net a few fish and think yeah Im not doing to bad . When it comes to weighing in , he can hardly lift the net out, and you think “where did all those come from”. He is a very good angler and a sound bloke as well. Always chatty and will tell you anything.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Cheers Mick , that bl++dy Des Shipp is doing my head in. I would have been in the money if he hadn’t turned up. I don’t know how the bloke catches so many fish. I was opposite him in a match a while ago , and you see him net a few fish and think yeah Im not doing to bad . When it comes to weighing in , he can hardly lift the net out, and you think “where did all those come from”. He is a very good angler and a sound bloke as well. Always chatty and will tell you anything.
🤣🤣. It’s not one thing a good angler does it’s a few things that they are doing right. You’ll get there pal. Just keep chipping away. Well done today .... and for braving the weather. I bet it was cold ? Brrrrrrrr

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
🤣🤣. It’s not one thing a good angler does it’s a few things that they are doing right. You’ll get there pal. Just keep chipping away. Well done today .... and for braving the weather. I bet it was cold ? Brrrrrrrr
They live and breath fishing ,the pole and rods are extension s of their arms ,everything they do is just natural to them ,their water craft is brilliant, they practice ,practice and practice a bit more ,its hard ,very hard to compete with professional anglers but you can have fun trying and its not impossible, a good peg ,good choice of bait ,good feeding ,they draw sheeeet and Gods on your side and maybe just maybe . Thats how i approach it and i love every minute .😁

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Well done Sam ,cracking day out

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I’m still thawing out now. The worst is your hands holding a pole all day and one of the only drawbacks of catching a good net of fish, is they are so cold and your hands never really get dry.