Match Weigh-Ins

DevonDangler

Site Supporter

Hi Guys,
Since running the Veterans festival back in March, and now having the country in lockdown for weeks, it’s made me think long and hard about how we will move forward in competition fishing whilst complying to the governments social distancing rules. For sure, this will be with us for a long time.
The problem wasn’t doing the draw as that went very smoothly, with everyone keeping two meters apart. It was the weighing-in that bothered me. How could I keep my team and the anglers from being inches apart whilst transferring fish from keepnet to weigh sling? Here is my solution which works perfectly! I will follow this with a short video explaining how it will be done at White Acres in the future. A good friend of mine is manufacturing these, and can supply your local lake or fishery, he will also donate £5 from every frame sold to the NHS. Unless we have these tools in place we will never be able to move competition fishing forward safely and in line with what the government expect, and we as match anglers deserve.
About the weigh assist
It weighs approximately 4.5 kilo and folds completely flat for ease of carrying to each peg. It stands 16” off the ground so the fish will not be damaged when transferring from keepnet to weigh assist. The pivot point is only 9” off the ground so the weigh net can be easily transferred from assist to scales. The canvas cradle is in place to support the weigh sling, and protect the fish so they will not touch the ground at any point.
If you think that this idea will move our sport forward then pass this information on to your local fishery, angling club or match organiser. Ask them to send me a message on my Facebook page and we can arrange to have these sent direct, please like and share to move our sport forward Darren Cox Rob Hughes Catch More Media Simon Jones Simon Fry Tight Lines

A good idea here from Clint Elliott down at White Acres for maintaining social distancing at the weigh-in. ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
TBH I think it's a good idea all round and should have been available before all this

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I don't see the point, places I fish stopped using those flimsy weigh slings years ago, I can understand whiteacres pushing for it, they must be losing loads of money at the moment.
For me personally, I will go fishing again when it's safe to do so normally without any guide lines, social distancing etc.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing the fishery would have to insist on is smaller amounts in keepnets as many anglers struggle to lift nets out of the water by themselves - how that would work I've no idea

Regarding social distancing

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
One thing the fishery would have to insist on is smaller amounts in keepnets as many anglers struggle to lift nets out of the water by themselves - how that would work I've no idea

Only a few of us have the problem of a brimful net of fish David ?

chris1967

Site Supporter
I don't see the point, places I fish stopped using those flimsy weigh slings years ago, I can understand whiteacres pushing for it, they must be losing loads of money at the moment.
For me personally, I will go fishing again when it's safe to do so normally without any guide lines, social distancing etc.
well thats for you ,everyone's opinion differs ,and i'll be out of the trap asap and as a buisness i feel for them and every other fishery that relies on match and pleasure anglers alike

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
well thats for you ,everyone's opinion differs ,and i'll be out of the trap asap and as a buisness i feel for them and every other fishery that relies on match and pleasure anglers alike
I feel for privately owned fishery owners, whiteacres not so much.
The staff at Whiteacres, IMO opinion, do a good job and I support any efforts to get festivals back on.

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

2 weigh ins maybe 3

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Then you have an issue with time. If one person is doing the scales and the angler loading the sling, say it takes 2 minutes per weigh, on a 25 pegger the last peg won't get weighed until 50 minutes, call it an hour, from the all-out and that's not allowing for the weigher in to put their gear away first.

All the matches I've run I've insisted people help with the weigh-in as more bodies makes lighter work of it and speeds it up. This would not be possible with social distancing. The frame above is a brilliant idea in theory (imho), but in reality I can only see it replacing the mat and possibly one person at the weigh-in

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I'll remember that @Dave for October, might split the weighing in down with a willing volunteer, as last year I was first to weigh in and followed the scales round taking photos, which mean't I was last to pack up my gear and get into the cafe for the raffle. It's a good job @Whisker & @dirk organised the match with me otherwise the raffle draw would have finished just in time for breakfast. :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've a set of scales and bag I can bring with me to help out ;)

Whisker

Site Supporter
On our club matches we have 2 sets of scales, one one side the lake and one the other. Whoever draws the 2 ends (i.e. pegs 1 & 2 and 32 & 34) have to weigh in their half the lake. Works well, really quick, but obviously reliant on having enough scales and nets (@Scribe if Lakeview weigh one lake, we could ask people who have weigh equipment to bring theirs and we could weigh the other 2 lakes?).
Our last match before lockdown, no one was allowed to follow the scales and we had to distance as much as we could when bringing the nets out.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Then you have an issue with time. If one person is doing the scales and the angler loading the sling, say it takes 2 minutes per weigh, on a 25 pegger the last peg won't get weighed until 50 minutes, call it an hour, from the all-out and that's not allowing for the weigher in to put their gear away first.

All the matches I've run I've insisted people help with the weigh-in as more bodies makes lighter work of it and speeds it up. This would not be possible with social distancing. The frame above is a brilliant idea in theory (imho), but in reality I can only see it replacing the mat and possibly one person at the weigh-in
Yes it will be longer for sure maybe 2 or more people weighing in 2 or 3 sets of scales . It's the only option I can think of . For me if a person needs help with their keepnets and they are well out of the way someone could put gloves on and carry the net for them .. I often need help and get embarrassed because I am strong it's just my tendons give me excruciating pain some days .

Scribe

Site Supporter
On our club matches we have 2 sets of scales, one one side the lake and one the other. Whoever draws the 2 ends (i.e. pegs 1 & 2 and 32 & 34) have to weigh in their half the lake. Works well, really quick, but obviously reliant on having enough scales and nets (@Scribe if Lakeview weigh one lake, we could ask people who have weigh equipment to bring theirs and we could weigh the other 2 lakes?).
Our last match before lockdown, no one was allowed to follow the scales and we had to distance as much as we could when bringing the nets out.

Good Idea for Lakeview mate, although it would be good to have pictures of the catch to put on with the match report. If one us could accompany the Lakeview scales and the other follow a scales-man that has bought a set of scales with them around that would be ideal. (y)

Whisker

Site Supporter
Lakeview will take care of one lake, me and @Dave have scales to cover another lake, so we just need 2 more sets of weigh equipment.

dealornodeal

Site Supporter
Ill bring some along no problem at all. I have good scales and tripod but only a small canal size weigh sling/net

Scribe

Site Supporter
Lakeview will take care of one lake, me and @Dave have scales to cover another lake, so we just need 2 more sets of weigh equipment.

Thanks guy's that's much appreciated the quicker we can get weighed in and the scores on the doors recorded the better. (y)