Match tactics advice please

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I seem to have got myself booked on another match on Sunday. Different venue to last time, it's the venue with the big silvers, as well as some real lumps when it comes to the carp. Sunday will be all about the carp, average weight is over 10lb. So, tactics, it is a six hour match and I thought I would fish basic carp tactics, with boilie and PVA bag, in the hope of catching a lump or two, for the first couple of hours. In the meantime, I would be regularly catapulting 2/4mm pellets, feeding a swim for fishing the method. That is likely to be my main tactic. I will also hope for decent margins and hope for a play with the pole for an hour. I have just re-elasticated with 18+ hollow, and I would love to beat my new pole PB. :D
Bait is likely to be the Source boilies, 8/10mm pellets and sweetcorn in the margins.
How would you guys fish it?

Bear in mind, this is not a commercial, but a pukka big carp venue

Total

Site Supporter
@Sportsman .......Surely you could do no worse than fish similar tactics as you did on your last match/venue......Except this time, try landing the carp you hook! ;) :oops::D

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
First question for me would be "Will any big carp be caught?". Normally to me big carp equal a lower stocking density, that combined with daylight hours could mean six hours with no bites if you target those carp. I might take the gamble that a net of big silvers could do better than one or two carp. If you can catch at ten pound an hour then you end with sixty pound. That would beat someone who waits it out and has three or four carp, and is more fun.

Of course the odd, landed, bonus carp could see an even better final tally.

Match angling is often a choice like this. Percentage wise you will have more consistent results targeting the smaller fish but potentially without winning. What is the better tactic, one that sees you second in every match but beaten by a different angler each time, or winning one match in five or ten and blowing out in the rest?

I know what I would chose.

MrBen

Site Supporter
I would be catapulting 6/8 mm pellets as they definitely fly better and more accurately, I have never tried launching 2mm as I think it would just be messy and waste of time. That way if the method doesn’t produce you can use bomb and pellet or if they look to be coming shallow then you can always try the pellet waggler. Boilies and pva bag is an interesting approach and something I’ve never seen fished in a match.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, it has helped to clarify my thinking. The lake is not stuffed full of match sized carp, but it does contain a lot of carp and carp will be caught. The last match these lads had on here was won with 220lb, with several nets over 100lb, all carp. Knowing the guy that won it they would have been caught on the method with an 8mm hookbait, because, apart from the pole, that is pretty much all he uses. I could fish the same way, but he would be likely to beat me because he (and some of the others) are better at it, or certainly more experienced. I am unlikely to beat them at their own game. The idea behind the carp tactics is to hopefully fluke a couple of lumps to give me a head start. There are plenty of 20s and 30s in there and they get caught on boilie tactics week in week out. The other thought is that if I do hook a lump, I might even land it. ;)
Thinking about it, catapulting 2/4mm pellets is a bit hit and miss, so I will save them for feeding the margins and use 6/8mm in the catapult.
I will probably fish mostly method with pellet or wafter because I know it works, I have suitable tackle and it is within my skill set.
From another point of view, if I was fishing for fun, then I wouldn't even fish for the carp in the first place. The lake has a very good head of other species that I would rather fish for, so, given how unlikely it is that I can compete with guys who fish the venue all the time, I could just have a good day doing what I like to do, and leave the match to them. It is what I would have done a few weeks ago, but recent events seem to have brought out a competitive streak:devilish::devilish:

smiffy

Site Supporter
Have a bit more confidence in yourself. Often you’re fishing against the peg rather than the angler, especially with Carp👍
If you draw better than them, why shouldn’t you beat them? Gwooorn my son👍

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Thanks for the further info.

I would look to fish The Method all day. Accurate casting is the key so that you concentrate the groundbait andf fish in one area. When I say Method, I would also be trying pellet feeder and Banjo, swapping baits and feeder type until I got a consistent result.

On a Britiah commercial I would have to have a regular look at the margins also, no more than 5 minutes every half hour or so throughout the match and switch onto it if I get signs or fish. The quickest way to a large weight is to catch close. But you need the gear to do it. With the prospect of 20lb plus fish I would use a rod & line with a pole float.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks again.
I will fish pretty much as Neil has suggested with feeder tactics and feeding the margins.
The problem is that I don't know the lake, so unless there are any obvious features to fish to it will just be a matter of pick a spot and go for it.
As always, the best laid plans can be subject to change, so we will wait and see what the day brings.

Total

Site Supporter
@Sportsman .....To further add to Neil's comments, With the the possibility of very large margin carp, always worth underarming a method/hybrid feeder etc down the edge....As bites are likely to be very savage, employ a baitrunner type reel or back your reel clutch right off....(y)

Total

Site Supporter
Start on the short pole (5m) with a hard banded 8mm pellet. Sprikle a few (hard 8mm) in with the cadpot and see if you can snare an early lump or 2 short. Then as you were. I'd look to make the most of the margins though if it's a 6 hour match. Feed it at 2 then keep having a look. The last hour may well be very good. I'd also be looking at the short pole again at this sort of time as I'd be feeding that line throughout the whole match. Sometimes if the lumps don't turn up down the edge you will catch them there.
Are you fishing the same match Rob?:unsure::whistle::ROFLMAO: