Match rules

Dusty

Are you allowed to feed with a cupping kit on the pole whilst you have a baited rod in the water?

Paul22

Are you allowed to feed with a cupping kit on the pole whilst you have a baited rod in the water?
It depends on the club or match you’re fishing and the water you’re fishing so check before you start.
On a personal note be very careful as I’ve seen rods being pulled into the lake while an unsuspecting angler has got his pole in his hand ???

jononcb

Not if you are fishing venues or matches that follow Angling trust model match rules.
A lot of clubs ban it also as it's two components in the water at the same time.
Plus whilst cupping in on the pole you aren't paying attention to the baited rod that could get dragged in!!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Total

I fish the odd few mate, I can't fish them all due to bailiff duties, or other work I have to do, but it's only to see if I still 'got it'.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Model Match Rules say no. But as has been said, match organisers make their own minds up so always check.

My main club allows it but then we also allow feeding before the start.

Paul22

Model Match Rules say no. But as has been said, match organisers make their own minds up so always check.

My main club allows it but then we also allow feeding before the start.
That’s interesting feeding before the off ...... pretty unusual unless fishing international events.
So do you have a start time for feeding and then a second for fishing?

Simon R

Site Supporter
The model match rules also state that all hooks must be barbless, which may come as a shock to those fishing canal or river matches.

But feeding with a pole whilst another rod is fishing has always been a no-no - so too is the practice of putting the rig from another rod (usually a method feeder) into your pole cup and dropping it into areas (under trees etc) where it couldn't possibly be cast. Might as well employ a bait boat and do it properly. :p

Simon

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Depends who is doing it, as with many rules.
But yes, some clubs/matches have that rule, some don't. A check with the match organiser really. Once he or she free after getting berated for 'what are we doing here again'.

bigmac1

That’s interesting feeding before the off ...... pretty unusual unless fishing international events.
So do you have a start time for feeding and then a second for fishing?
Our club doesn't have rules that say you can't feed before the start of the Match or about feeding with a pole while having another rod in the water, so people do it and nobody complains. We are small a club and nobody is ultra competitive so don't have many rules

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
the brevity of replies just demonstrates that the only rules are the rules of the organiser/fishery.

Best approach is to be clear at the outset and ask if not sure. Seen more than a few :argue: over the years about anglers doing things they weren't aware of including me back in the day fishing a GB feeder on a water where GB was not allowed o_O

Total

Site Supporter
the brevity of replies just demonstrates that the only rules are the rules of the organiser/fishery.

Best approach is to be clear at the outset and ask if not sure. Seen more than a few :argue: over the years about anglers doing things they weren't aware of including me back in the day fishing a GB feeder on a water where GB was not allowed o_O

Roy, Have witnessed the above plenty of times myself.....I read the 'riot act 'out once, and once only (at my matches) and if people don't listen, tough...... The majority are my main concern.........

Paul22

Our club doesn't have rules that say you can't feed before the start of the Match or about feeding with a pole while having another rod in the water, so people do it and nobody complains. We are small a club and nobody is ultra competitive so don't have many rules
Yes it’s a funny one....... our club has stated we can feed with a pole pot with a rod in the water but I won’t do it because I think it’s too risky .......

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dusty, it's totally down to you as an angler to familiarize yourself with the rules of any fishery or match that you are fishing on the day, no good saying "I didn't know" if you happen to fall foul of them on the day. All part of preparation these days with rules varying from fishery to fishery, club to club and match to match.

Dusty

Dusty, it's totally down to you as an angler to familiarize yourself with the rules of any fishery or match that you are fishing on the day, no good saying "I didn't know" if you happen to fall foul of them on the day. All part of preparation these days with rules varying from fishery to fishery, club to club and match to match.

Makes sense ?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
It can be a minefield in all honesty, with various bait bans, hook size limits, method bans, keepnet weight limits, gardening rules to name just a few. :mad: