match or carp

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty198111

hi guys

ive got just enough money to buy a new rod

i already have a carp rod, but thats it

i was wandering i wouldnt mind going fishing for the roach ect, but there are carp in the lake upto about 6 lb
if i was to buy a match rod and hooked a carp would it be ok, im not worried about the rod so much, its just i dont wanna hurt the fish or would i be better getting a carp rod and using that for the roach just in case

this is prob a really daft question but im lost as to what to buy

cheers in advance

mat

matty198111

should add i have 40 so the match rod would be a cheap shakespear or simular

i already have 2 carp reels and a " normal " reel

zenith20

I'd save up a little bit more and go for something a bit better. Personally, I'd go for the Match rod. I don't do enough Carp fishing to get a specified carp rod.

matty198111

was thinking something like this
http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/4871/Maver-Abyss-12-13ft-Match-Rods.html

is this an ok rod anyway as my neighbour was thinking of getting it for the silver's

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
also mate, look 2nd hand.... there are some seriously good stuff and cheap kicking about..

sale forums here
sale forums on the carp forum

ebay used tackle etc etc etc.

the main bulk of my carp gear is 2nd hand

mudhead

If you dont set the clutch too tight and balance your tackle to catch a wide range of fish a match rod is fine. I have one of these: http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/RODS/ss940_mach_1xt_rods.htm

I usually go for 4-5lb line. I had an 11lb mirror on it friday night on float fished corn in the margins. I would recommend it to anyone. It is also a great way to fish. Crystal waggler, two foot from the bank, corn on the hook and the sun on your back. [:T]

BarryC

Providing you dont have to many snags close by and can let the fish run you should'nt have any problems with a balanced match type outfit.
If you do have a few snags you could try a carp float rod for use with lines around 6lb.
Wont be so much fun with the silvers but should control the carp a bit better.
I use a Drennan carp power float rod with 6lb line and have had fish from small roach to double figure carp.

pole addict

http://www.tackleup.com/garb_rods.htm

3rd one down. Leeda carp match float rod. 12 or 13ft.

Excellent rods for the money and an excellent shop for service [:T]

matty198111

sorry for sounding dumb but what does balanced tackle mean

im guessing its not standing on a tight rope holding my... no of course it aint

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Most 'standard'float rods seem to have a line rating of 2-6lb so that would cover all your needs as mentioned.

fish finder

callum
Originally posted by matty198111

sorry for sounding dumb but what does balanced tackle mean

im guessing its not standing on a tight rope holding my... no of course it aint
balanced tackle is when you have the right size hook for the right line on the right rod,[:0] example, you wouldnt use 10lb line with a size 20 hook on a match rod, the hook is ok but the line isnt.

for a match rod you could have 4lb ine with a size 18 hook, which is ok for roach and carp, if the roach are really feeding you could up your hook size to a 16 because that would land you more carp than an 18. [:T]

i hope its not too complicated[:T]

Last edited:

getfishing

Pete
balanced tackle means instead of using a poker of a rod and 2lb line you use something like a light match rod and 2lb line. You wouldn't put 15lb line through a match rod unless you wanted it to snap.

the gaffer

very popular round our way http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0744586/Trail/searchtext%3EROD.htm not got one myself but i know many that have and rate them highly

king carp

try the pantera multi tip rod it as 3 tip 1lb 1.5 and 2lbs they should hold the fish you hope to catch i have landed carp up to 14lbs with mine

Status
Not open for further replies.