match fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bashy

bashy
can any body tell me about the ins and outs of match fishing, rules and regulations etc. do you have to have certain things, daft example here but keepnets for instance, but do they have to be over a certain length, do they have to be a specific type. how many rods are in use, how many rods can you have set up etc. just showing how thick i am when it gets past pleasure fishing.

adam

most of the time the rules depends on the fishery

so unless the fishery syates otherwise u can use what ever length of keepnet u want although it is better for the fish to use a long 1

u can set up as many rods as u like although only 1 at a time may be used

no bait is allowed to be fed untill the match starts and in most matches any fish hooked before the end u have 15 minuets after the match to land them

bashy

bashy
thanks for that adam. so is fishing matches worth it or are you better off just doing your own thing? i know tiny said on a different thread it can be very stressful, so is the stress worth it? what exactly does match fishing mean to you guys that do it on a regular basis?

Apache

it can be very stressful, and very competitive, which was one of the reasons I stopped it, because ot got ridicluous, the amount of bickering going on during the matches and slanging matches.

Tight Lines,

Datafile4.asp

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

lucky wayne

Account Locked
well i fish with rugby disabled club and i have to say i love it the guys are great and always ready to help each other i guess its different in open matches but if you find a good club i reckon its a great way to fish

Apache

Well, it was because I was only 14 at the time, and they saw me as being a complete idiot when it came to fishign and did their best to shunt me off the matches as best as possible - and suceeded but not as quickly as they would have liked.

Tight Lines,

Datafile4.asp

Datafile4.asp

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.comPinkieDrowner's Forum (Under 18's only) - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/younguns

icarpdaily

'Dancey'
When your in a match can you use as much bait as you like and any bait you like (as long as water rules permit)
Thanx

Tom.

devil-flip.gif Wheres my float oh my god wheres my float, oh yeah im ledger fishing. demonbat.gif
"I, d rather be dead than cool " Curt Cobain.
"It's better to burn out than fade away" Curt cobain.
Maggotdrowner's the only place to be when your not on the Bank.

Apache

Yes, depending on match rules.

Tight Lines,

Datafile4.asp

Datafile4.asp

joe1987

'Darwener'
I love it, i find it more fun than pleasure fishing, then at the end you can take your time to catch whatever you want.
It does get stressful especially when you need to elasicate a topkit and set up a rod and pole in the hour setup time but I find if you setup as quick as possible then organise your peg so everythings where you want it then relax and have a butty ect its okay.
I guess I dont really no the feel of winning big money prizes but I cant wait til I can enter full adults opens.

*)*Joey*(*

Apache

It also gives you a chnace to gain more tips, as most of the people in the match will be willingn to help with tips after the match, as they will know what works and what doesnt.

Tight Lines,

Datafile4.asp

Datafile4.asp

bashy

bashy
thanks guys. matt it's a real shame that you were "frightened off match fishing" at such a young age, maybe they all saw you as too much of a threat!! maybe you will get back into it now you are that bit older wiser and more experienced.

you mean that you can actually make money from fishing, i suppose if you cover the costs of baits you have probably done well. do people only fish for the prize monies? or is it just a nice bonus to end the day? surely though if there are anglers that only go for the money, have they not lost what fishing is all about? and shouldn't fishing matches be all about sharing a passion and enjoying yourself rather than scaring people off and causing friction with other anglers?

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
yep you can make money from matches dean smith whos just gone fully pro is a case in point but i doubt he only fishes for the money (he was probably making more when he was a roofer. Lets face it if you where in the position to do what you love and make a living out of it you would.

bashy

bashy
gazmalman hope you know roofers are on shocking wages unless it was his own business. if iwas in the position of being paid to fish yes i probably would but by the same token i would be promoting it more to the kids and encourage them into match fishing instead of doing what happened to apache when he was 14. you discourage the kids there will become a point when there is very little interest from them as if competing with computers and dvds etc wasn't hard enough, or do you not agree?

Chopper

DON'T DO IT!

Stick to pleasure fishing. Match fishing can become very competitive and addictive, it won't be long before your spending your Friday and Saturday nights making pole rigs and changing elastics, not much of a life!!

If you are serious about giving it a go, stay away from open matches to start with, join a club, go along to a couple of their matches and see what goes on and what the competition is like. If you don't think you could compete then you will learn more by just watching what goes on than actually fishing yourself. Put what you have learned into practise and then give it a go once you feel confident.

Good luck [;)]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Team 2003 NFA North East Region Champions.
Team 2003 Embassy Division 1 National 12th......bad draw!!
Team 2003 Sensas Challenge Finalists.
Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
Team 2001 Embassy Division 1 National Champions.

www.colmic.com

martin.

Account Locked
quote:Originally posted by LEE SAVILLE

Match fishing can become very competitive and addictive, it won't be long before your spending your Friday and Saturday nights making pole rigs and changing elastics, not much of a life!!

If you are serious about giving it a go, stay away from open matches to start with, join a club, go along to a couple of their matches and see what goes on and what the competition is like. If you don't think you could compete then you will learn more by just watching what goes on than actually fishing yourself. Put what you have learned into practise and then give it a go once you feel confident.

Good luck [;)]

ill go along with what lee says but add you can spend most of the week doing rigs & then theres the practicing . Also when you go out pleasure fishing you would probably only take 2 or 3 different baits but in a match on a canal or river you dont know you could end up with quite a few different g/baits,loose feed & hookbaits so that along with travelling, peg fees & pools it can work out expensive.
If you decide on taking up match fishing just jion a local club & stick to there matches for a while first.

LEE
NICE TO SEE YOU BACK ON

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile4.asp

talk fishing flip football
www.fishingvenuesuk.co.uk

King_Ding

i feel this will put the pressure of match fishing in perspective, although before i do please note that i didnt condone this activity, amd it was only till after the match i found this out, and HE DID GET CAUGHT AT THE NEXT MEETING!!! lol
i first did a match when i was 11 and even then the second match i done i wasnt brilliant but the competition was so hard the kiddie in the ped next to me felt he HAD TO CHEAT IN ORDER to gain the respect of the other "cough cough" novice/ match boys, so through this second match he had caught about 4 skimmers, couple of roach and couple of small gudgeon so slipped a small roll of that lead stuff(its like solder i suppose) down the throat of one of the skimmers,just to get a decent weight, he was the same age as me, and it was well after the match the bailiffs retrieved the fish and discovered this, at the next meeting the kiddie was rumbled and was genuinly upset at what he had done! BUT MY POINT IS THAT IT COMES TO A POINT WHEN AN 11 YEAR OLD BOY,FEELS HE HAS TO CHEAT,BY IN THIS CASE KILLING THE FISH, SO NOT TO GET LAUGHT AT WHEN THEY READ THE WEIGHTS OUT! although this was terribly wrong it is sad, that match fishing creates this pressures and unescisary competitive ness! match fishing since then never appealed to me and i would much rather go out and fish at my own pace and selectiveness!

tight lines lads

Chopper

In all my years of match fishing I have never heard of anything like that, that is terrible.

Occasionally I will see a 'Barnsley trick!' 1/2 a pint of hemp mixed in with a keepnet full of small fish or guys on canals using big carp nets and waiting until the last second to take take his net out of the water to try and gain an extra 1/2 ounce by shaking all the water off his keepnet into the weigh net.

To be honest I can't see the point of what that young lad did, it might have gained him 2-3 oz tops and if he had 4 skimmers, some roach and gudgeon it's hardly going to make a big difference.

Match fishing doesn't turn anglers into evil, cheating, greedy individuals, it's still just a hobby and we take it as it comes, have a good crack with the rest of the lads and have good days and bad days like everyone else.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Team 2003 NFA North East Region Champions.
Team 2003 Embassy Division 1 National 12th......bad draw!!
Team 2003 Sensas Challenge Finalists.
Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
Team 2001 Embassy Division 1 National Champions.

www.colmic.com

lodge1

If you have a competitive streak match fishing is 4 you.If you want to meet so 'interesting' people and want to improve your fishing skills fast listen to the winners after the matches,look for trends/bait/weather/time of year etc,Keep records of your results for a while and you will soon see the trends and you will see your own improvements.All of this will be usefull when you pleasure fish as well.As 4 my self Im to old to play contact sports {except with wife]so beating other anglers fills my compeditive streak.

bashy

bashy
thanks for that lads. it is a real shame that a kid thought he had to do that to increase weight, but my question to that would be where did he learn this "trick"? surely he must of seen someone else do it, or is that just me?
lee for someone who says don't do it you seem to of done quite a bit. i am quite competetive but by the same token, win lose or draw it's an extra day away from the missus, if i do decide on match fishing i would only be competing for last place anyway. it's something i have never tried and you only live once, if i don't like it i still have my pleasure fishing to fall back on, or does it scar you that bad you give up fishing altogether?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Craig,
If you want to try matchfishing out find yourself a local club that has matches,and try a few of those out first.
My own club has about 35 members,and allthough only about 18 turn out regularly for the matches a good time is had by all.
We have all types fish the matches,from open anglers who fish the winter leagues as well right down to a couple of juniors and some pensioners.
For us it's all about having a day out in good company,No big pots of money to be won but some nice trophies at the end of the season.

Don't leap straight into the opens or you'll just be "Pools Fodder"
Opens are fine once you've found your feet at club level,but not the starting place for a novice.

Peter.
Datafile3.asp

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.