Match Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurcher

I go match fishing every week and I observe the same few anglers succeed wherever they are pegged. And whilst I put some of it down to skill and some to luck, I wonder if there is a third factor which I would call Factor X. Do us lesser anglers give off a smell, vibration or noise that puts fish off, Is it we like a beer and curry on a Saturday night and staying out late that reduces our chances? Or do the sharks of the match pools attract their quarry with sweet smells or charm. It is a well known fact that fish detect smells etc in water from a long distance so are we missing something that would even the field. This season I am going to use a bait additive on my hands to see if I can find this factor X. Has any one got experience of influencing their catch rate in this way.

G.R.Eggison

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Lurcher and welcome!

I've a more serious problem!
How do you stop the guy on the next peg winning as happened saturday!!!
I hate that! lol
Dip my nicotine stained hands in his swim?

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Polepot

Poles
I am certain that there is something in the factor X theory.

Did you know that a large number of the big salmon ever caught were caught by Women? A hormone thing maybee.

Also smokers tend to have an effect - both negative and positive, smoke.gif dependant upon species.

I am afraid that this factor X is a bit wider than just one thing or someone some where would have it bottled and make a mint.

thinking.gif idea.gif Phaps this calls for a study - any chemists out there.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

dirk

Site Supporter
Hi lurcher, nice to see that lesser anglers, as you say, can use the internet icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif
The difference between the good angler an the????????angler,
is that a good angler can see under water, pure and simple, you've ether got it, or you havent.
Nice to see you found us.
Good luck for Sunday!! who are you fishing for A or B.
Do you want to borrow my special glasses????????
Dirk

martin.

Account Locked
hi lurcher & welcome to the mad MDs
with match fishing it can vary from year to year for me
in summer 2000 i won 3/4 of the trophys on the north level & 4 of the 6 opens.
in summer 2001 only 1 trophy & 1 open from same matches
the reason for this idont know but have known others to have simmilar experiences

tight lines.
martin.

MALC

Hi Geoff,

I think a lot of it can be put down to confidence be it in their approach to the swim or the little bit's of fine tuneing to their kit although as you say there is also a degree of luck.

On the smell side must admit that for years now i've sprayed/coated my hands before fishing to try to hide the smell of fags also i wont put any deodrant on before fishing (terrible i know) but thats just little things that give me a bit more confidence.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
And i thought it was what you dusted your luncheon meat that smelt funny.Now i know its your armpits.HA HA

icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

Keith

MALC

Cheers keith i just knew i should not have mentioned that LOL

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Lurcher,

I think it's partly down to confidence and knowledge of the fishery. I was told many moons ago to think like a fish, where would you be if you were a fish, and it did work.
Add to that a lot of successful matchman aren't afraid of going against the grain (nearly said norm icon_smile.gif) and will fish alternative methods if the going is tough.
If you ever get the chance to watch one of the names they will literally work their peg for the duration of the match, feeding different lines and keep it up, something that a lot of us start off with but rarely maintain. They will switch between baited areas, change rigs and tactics, and chop and change baits until they find the fish.
How many times have you caught a few fish from a certain area or with a certain rig and felt uncomfortable or even reluctant about switching elsewhere when the bites dry up? I know I have.

In stillwaters when you've tried everything and still not had a bite or fish, is the swim empty or are the fish just not feeding? Do you risk 'balling in' a load of groundbait laced with attractants to the grumble of those around you in the hope that it'll switch your peg on or do you leave it and bat it out? Sometimes, in fact many a time, this method has paid off for me but I must say it has also caused alot of annoyance from others. A few years ago the standard was five balls in straight after the shout followed by another every 20-30 minutes. If groundbait is not allowed, use pinkies or maggots laced with attractants or flavours. My favourite is vanilla escence from the baking shelves in the supermarkets.

On rivers when there's nothing doing I used to find that a staedy stream of maggots fired up to the top of my swim used to work. The trick then was to anticipate where they would eventually reach the bottom and fish there. If the current was too strong or the water too deep and they would be caried on into the swim below, I use a bait dropper or very large swim feeder with slots cut into the sides rather than holes.
This allows the maggots to be washed out quickly. Cast this in five, six or seven times in succession, weight it so that it sinks quickly, once it hits the bottom it's empty, bring it back in, out again and then use another rod with either a float set to trundle the bottom or a samll bomb with a quiver tip and look for the bites.
I'm not a great believer in 'factorX' as I know fish can detect scents but I find it hard to believe that they can be that sensitive.

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Lurcher,
Confidence,is the main difference,Oh and Lady Luck.
Every so often you'll get that golden run where it seems that you can't draw a bad peg,make the most of them cause it won't last for ever.
Kenny Collins used to be a great one for undermining peoples confidence,about 5mins before the draw he would ask his opponents if they could spare any casters/maggots/hemp cause he had forgotten his.
Even if it was an out and out Maggot water,the act of him asking for some other bait would sow the seed of doubt in other peoples brains.
Great trick if you can pull it off.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.