Match fishing without a pole

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Presumably that's just a shorter version of a conventional pole? See, I told you I knew nowt about poles
Lol yes usually 8 or 9meter with a couple of top kits , if you like pole fishing after using the margin pole you can get a longer pole and the margin can still be used for the bigger fish down the edge 😉

davej1981

According to my club secretary there is a big mix of very competent anglers right through to guys with a rod and deck chair. I would say give it a go, at the very least to see if you enjoy it. Little point in splashing out on gear if its not for you. Although i dont fish matches anymore, whilest framing was nice, there was always the social aspect to it that made it enjoyable for me

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
It's a big investment for me as I would need a seatbox, pole, rollers etc but definitely something to consider for next season if I enjoy the matches. There seems to be a lot of second hand gear available so that would be the starting point I think. Thanks for your advice and encouragement
Get good secondhand gear. I would get a seat ox anyway, if fishing matches. Having everything to hand , with a decent side tray and feeder arm will save you lots of time and hassle. A good secondhand pole will come with a good selection of topkits. As someone has already mentioned , get a decent margin pole first , then look for a match pole from the same brand and your topkits will fit both.
I have a Sensas box for sale with a number of attachments , including and hooded side tray for £200 if your not far away.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I would echo what’s already been said. Get a margin pole. You really need to have a pole in your arsenal. I don’t fish matches but even in my pleasure angling I use my pole sometimes. It’s not my favourite method but some days you are really glad of it. With a margin pole you can fish at short range or just over the ledge, in fact anything up to 8 or 9 metres out plus you can fish your margins of course. The only time you need a long pole is if you want to fish the far bank or an island.

alsur

Site Supporter
I would look at it in a different way, initially don't enter matches with the expectation of doing that well look at it as a learning process. I matched fished for a very long time and when I started I was an average at best and it took a while before I could compete effectively, but the help from club members and experienced was invaluable.

To be a good match angler you need to be able to use all methods and if you are going to get into it you will need a pole, but initially try and choose a match were you can do well on running line, failing that just go to any match and fish with what you are comfortable with and see if you enjoy it. If Club has active match section normally people are very friendly and helpful and it's a good way to start.

Silasfish

Get good secondhand gear. I would get a seat ox anyway, if fishing matches. Having everything to hand , with a decent side tray and feeder arm will save you lots of time and hassle. A good secondhand pole will come with a good selection of topkits. As someone has already mentioned , get a decent margin pole first , then look for a match pole from the same brand and your topkits will fit both.
I have a Sensas box for sale with a number of attachments , including and hooded side tray for £200 if your not far away.
Where are you? . I'm in South cheshire.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
It's a big investment for me as I would need a seatbox, pole, rollers etc but definitely something to consider for next season if I enjoy the matches. There seems to be a lot of second hand gear available so that would be the starting point I think. Thanks for your advice and encouragement

Hey up mate, it’s worth a crack but don’t spend loads of money (I know that seems almost impossible advice to follow when you look at the extras needed). I quite quickly jumped in with pole fishing but I’m now a bit bored of it. I’m not a match angler and much prefer a broad variety of styles from dead baiting for Pike to pole fishing for silvers and most in between.

Give it a try but keep your options open.

Silasfish

Hey up mate, it’s worth a crack but don’t spend loads of money (I know that seems almost impossible advice to follow when you look at the extras needed). I quite quickly jumped in with pole fishing but I’m now a bit bored of it. I’m not a match angler and much prefer a broad variety of styles from dead baiting for Pike to pole fishing for silvers and most in between.

Give it a try but keep your options open.
I think that's good advice. I enjoy learning different styles of fishing and planning a day's fishing around a particular style. I'll probably end up a jack of all trades and master of none, but I'll have fun along the way.
I'm no spring chicken but new to Angling and I'm approaching retirement so I see match fishing as a way of developing my interest. I think it may be a good way of improving.
However, I accept I may not take to it and so picking up gear on the second hand market seems the way forward.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I’m down in Wiltshire, so a fair step for you, unless perhaps you travel with your job. I am going to the Maggotdrowners pairs match at Alders at the end of the month and the pork pie match in October, there might be a kind drowners who lives near you, if your not going yourself.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
@Silasfish I have tried to start my guide from almost zero knowledge but if you think I have missed anything or assumed knowledge I shouldn't please let me know. I wrote the guide after a fellow member bemoaned the lack of a guide for absolute beginners. That's why it starts with a glossary then moves onto a bit of history before getting to grips with the pole itself. I have tried to take it step by step.

There are some edits I need to go in and do as it was written a few years ago and at least one link about floats does not work as the article it links to on here has now gone.

Silasfish

@Silasfish I have tried to start my guide from almost zero knowledge but if you think I have missed anything or assumed knowledge I shouldn't please let me know. I wrote the guide after a fellow member bemoaned the lack of a guide for absolute beginners. That's why it starts with a glossary then moves onto a bit of history before getting to grips with the pole itself. I have tried to take it step by step.

There are some edits I need to go in and do as it was written a few years ago and at least one link about floats does not work as the article it links to on here has now gone.
I agree that there's very little info out there for beginners so this is very welcome. I'll read it over the next couple of days and let you know if there's anything that's unclear to me. I guess the real test will be when I get my first pole and try to set it up and I will definitely refer to this and give you feedback.

Thank you for doing this, I very much appreciate it and I'm sure many others do or will do

rob6709

Site Supporter
I wouldn't be without one fishing matches..... You will not be as accurate fishing or feeding on any other method.

Blanks

Site Supporter
If you want to fish matches then the pole will be an important part of your overall tactics, without one you will be at a disadvantage.
Good allround match anglers will be very competant at all methods and venues, this will require learning many skills and gaining experience over time.
The learning of the trade, good days and bad are the real pleasure of match fishing, the days you win are the iceing on top.

Silasfish

Bringing you up to date. I'm convinced now with ghe merits of investing in, and learning to use a pole and I'm on the lookout for one.
However, I entered a match yesterday using only my method feeder to the island and the rh margin. Pinging 8mm pellet to whichever I wasn't actively fishing at any time. Well, I came second, winning my section! All pole anglers other than me and one other (only a dozen or so in the match).
Frustratingly, I lost hold of a 3 or 4lb carp whilst unhooking and it slipped back into the water, otherwise I'd have won, as there was only a lb in it.
So message to anyone without a pole considering entering a match is to give it a go. Even if you don't end up with a brown envelope I found the advice and cameraderie from the other anglers fantastic.
Thanks to all on mdf for their help and encouragement

tincatim

Site Supporter
Bringing you up to date. I'm convinced now with ghe merits of investing in, and learning to use a pole and I'm on the lookout for one.
However, I entered a match yesterday using only my method feeder to the island and the rh margin. Pinging 8mm pellet to whichever I wasn't actively fishing at any time. Well, I came second, winning my section! All pole anglers other than me and one other (only a dozen or so in the match).
Frustratingly, I lost hold of a 3 or 4lb carp whilst unhooking and it slipped back into the water, otherwise I'd have won, as there was only a lb in it.
So message to anyone without a pole considering entering a match is to give it a go. Even if you don't end up with a brown envelope I found the advice and cameraderie from the other anglers fantastic.
Thanks to all on mdf for their help and encouragement
Well done! And whilst a pole has its uses in many situations, you’ve proven that you can still do well without one.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Where in South Cheshire,?
I am in Oxford but go upto Warrington around once a month,
Going in a week or so then the weekend 7th August upto now, depends on a couple of things.
If someone can get the box to Oxford I should be able to drop it off on way to Warrington.
If you can sort it with the seller, look at pics and payment etc ,it could be done.

Edit I think @The Landlord may be going to the Alders match, he may not be far from you, that may be a better option if he is up for it.

Silasfish

Where in South Cheshire,?
I am in Oxford but go upto Warrington around once a month,
Going in a week or so then the weekend 7th August upto now, depends on a couple of things.
If someone can get the box to Oxford I should be able to drop it off on way to Warrington.
If you can sort it with the seller, look at pics and payment etc ,it could be done.

Edit I think @The Landlord may be going to the Alders match, he may not be far from you, that may be a better option if he is up for it.
Hi, I have had a box donated to me, (old but in good order) so not required any more. But thank you very much for the offer to get it here, its very kind of you.
South Cheshire refers to Crewe and nantwich btw