Match fishing without a pole

Silasfish

Been fishing 18 months. Trying to learn as much as possible with waggler fishing, feeder fishing and occasionally getting the carp rods out.
I want to get into match fishing but I have no knowledge or experience of fishing with a pole.

Is it futile to enter competitions with just a float rod and a feeder rod? I'm not expecting to win anything, at least not at first, more as a learning experience, but in time I'd like to feel I could be competitive, or what's the point?

Should I bite the bullet and start to invest in a pole and all the kit that goes with it along with some coaching sessions or is there merit in just sticking with what I know? Are there any successful match anglers that don't use a pole?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends what you are fishing. I don't match fish but going off the matches in the clubs I'm in running line certainly wins most matches on rivers, stillwaters are fairly even between running line and pole and pole wins virtually all the matches on canals.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Depending on the venue you can still do well on a feeder, I’ve done it myself, everyone fishing a pole and I was casting a little pellet feeder across to the far bank, was catching bigger carp compared to my neighbours f1’s pop your hand in the bag and have a go.

Silasfish

Depends what you are fishing. I don't match fish but going off the matches in the clubs I'm in running line certainly wins most matches on rivers, stillwaters are fairly even between running line and pole and pole wins virtually all the matches on canals.
Not experienced River fishing yet, but it does appeal to me. Would be stillwater.

mbuna_matt

Agreed it depends on the venue, but if you can fish say the method, or a pellet waggler (or similar) who needs a pole?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't use a pole in matches or pleasure fishing. I've won many a brown envelope both on rivers and stillwaters and I'm quite happy with what I've achieved. I'm not saying there's no room for a pole, it can be a very handy tool to use due to it's accuracy of feeding and getting where you can't with a waggler (under trees etc.), just my personal preference for feeder and waggler.
Some have said I should expand my knowledge and get a pole, well, I have 4 of them and none has seen water for approx 2 years. I have no time for them. The poles were bought as presents, birthdays, christmas, except for one that I bought. I've had it for quite a while now and used it once.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I don't know what stillwaters they're fishing but when I was on the open circuit you would be knackered without a pole.

Total

Site Supporter
There's a club not far from me based in Addington/New Addington (Surrey) and all their matches/fishing (commercials and natural waters) are running line only, not a pole in sight!....:love:.....I think it's a cracking idea.....Plenty out on their matches all year round too....

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It is possible to fish matches where feeder fishing dominates. And there are feeder only events to compete in.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
You just need to pick your venue, most venues I fish are completely dominated by the pole, often there is no point taking a rod, there are venues where the opposite is true, but I avoid those…….

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Fish a match without a pole? 🤣🤣
However, some do! I have won carp matches on both the wag and feeder but I would be list without my pole

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Consider that there is a reason many match anglers on certain venues fish the pole almost exclusively. As a match angler wanting to win you have to adopt the methods most likely to secure you the victory.

Undoubtedly there are venues and days when a rod outfishes the pole. I have done well on occasions bucking the trend by fishing a feeder instead of the pole. But my experience tells me when that is likely to happen and almost certainly I will have fished the pole at some point in the day.

You will learn a lot and very quickly fishing matches if you keep your eyes and ears open. There will almost certainly be the time you realise you need a pole to compete (venue dependent). As long as you can accept the steep learning curve and the likelihood of not picking up money to help offset the cost of match fishing then go for it.

And when you do decide to get a pole have a read of My blog.

Silasfish

Consider that there is a reason many match anglers on certain venues fish the pole almost exclusively. As a match angler wanting to win you have to adopt the methods most likely to secure you the victory.

Undoubtedly there are venues and days when a rod outfishes the pole. I have done well on occasions bucking the trend by fishing a feeder instead of the pole. But my experience tells me when that is likely to happen and almost certainly I will have fished the pole at some point in the day.

You will learn a lot and very quickly fishing matches if you keep your eyes and ears open. There will almost certainly be the time you realise you need a pole to compete (venue dependent). As long as you can accept the steep learning curve and the likelihood of not picking up money to help offset the cost of match fishing then go for it.

[/

I will definitely read your blog Neil, it seems just what I need. I've been looking for something like this on the Web but everything I find assumes some knowledge of the pole whereas to me it's a complete mystery.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. After reading them last night I actually texted the the guy running our club matches and entered next weekends match. I was told previously that this is a pole venue but I'm entering anyway for the experience and for my education. I'm actually looking forward to it.

davej1981

my club matches are won just as of often fishing method and pellet waggler is not more than the pole. Yes some days its the last hour in the margins that produces, but theres no reason why you cant drop a method down the edge. So yes, depending on venue theres absolutely no reason why you couldn’t compete without a pole

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
If it’s your local club match on a Stillwater, you should be ok, provided it’s not all small carp and F1s. This time of year a pellet waggler will be fine along with a method feeder. But I would think that if you enjoy it, then a pole would be a good investment in the long term. I wouldn’t necessarily think you need coaching lessons, unless you have a mate in the club who is willing to let you have a dabble with his pole. Just watch a few videos and read on here, you’ll be fine. It’s not that hard, after all most of us on here can manage it.

Silasfish

my club matches are won just as of often fishing method and pellet waggler is not more than the pole. Yes some days its the last hour in the margins that produces, but theres no reason why you cant drop a method down the edge. So yes, depending on venue theres absolutely no reason why you couldn’t compete without a pole
Didn't consider pellet waggler, that's a good call. Never tried that but I'll have a practice in the week. Thanks

Silasfish

If it’s your local club match on a Stillwater, you should be ok, provided it’s not all small carp and F1s. This time of year a pellet waggler will be fine along with a method feeder. But I would think that if you enjoy it, then a pole would be a good investment in the long term. I wouldn’t necessarily think you need coaching lessons, unless you have a mate in the club who is willing to let you have a dabble with his pole. Just watch a few videos and read on here, you’ll be fine. It’s not that hard, after all most of us on here can manage it.
It's a big investment for me as I would need a seatbox, pole, rollers etc but definitely something to consider for next season if I enjoy the matches. There seems to be a lot of second hand gear available so that would be the starting point I think. Thanks for your advice and encouragement

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Been fishing 18 months. Trying to learn as much as possible with waggler fishing, feeder fishing and occasionally getting the carp rods out.
I want to get into match fishing but I have no knowledge or experience of fishing with a pole.

Is it futile to enter competitions with just a float rod and a feeder rod? I'm not expecting to win anything, at least not at first, more as a learning experience, but in time I'd like to feel I could be competitive, or what's the point?

Should I bite the bullet and start to invest in a pole and all the kit that goes with it along with some coaching sessions or is there merit in just sticking with what I know? Are there any successful match anglers that don't use a pole?
Id get a good cheap margin pole to begin with