Match Fishing - Forget it !

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In answer to my question just posed to the Angling Trust..

Hi Dave,

This is the guidance currently on our website:

KEEPNETS & COMPETITION FISHING

No keepnets or competition fishing are permitted – current advice still prohibits organised gatherings.

I don’t think any more needs to be said?

Best wishes,

Nick

There you have it - no match fishing!

1589208561804.jpg

chris1967

Site Supporter
no problem here ,just want to get out and clear me head after 7 weeks indoors here and 1 week of lockdown in tenerife

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've sent it across to the Maggotdrowning Facebook page - it'll soon get around and no doubt I'll be slated lol

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
well i got called a dictator on here a couple of weeks ago and a few unpleasant comments on FB, such is life

can see on FB that its started already!!!!! not surprised but Jesus some of the people really need to fall off a cliff!

Last edited:

nejohn

Site Supporter
The trouble is no matter how many times the AT say no keepnets and no matches, there will be some people who think they know better and will run matches and then you will get the idiots that ignore the advice and attend the matches.....end result will be they will be caught, possibly fined under the new powers mentioned in the document, plastered all over social media (as there are plenty of organisations that will jump at any chance of attacking angling) and risk fishing again being stopped .....thats the problem with some people give them an inch and they take a mile

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
No matches on our club waters until further notice. organised or not. Anyone organizing a 'knock-up' faces being banned from the club.

lp1886

Site Supporter
I don’t own a keepnet, but I do have a really deep landing net. Can I let them ‘recover’ in that??

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Surprised you even needed to ask the question Dave... ( what part of no.... keepnets and comp fishing etc don't they understand )

But then thanks for getting it absolutely spelt out... some people seem to need it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
New slogan which I'm pushing out to the masses - feel free to use it and share it:

Fish Safe - Take Home Memories, Not Covid-19

and for fishery pages who might think it implies they have Covid-19..

Fish Safe - Take Home Memories, Follow Our Guidelines

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Fine sentiments Dave... lets hope folks take heed...

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
As my Club has no restrictions on the use of Keepnets on certain waters

Im quite happy to use one within their published guidelines

being a silvers angler and my quarry is primarily roach and rudd, I would prefer to retain those caught fish for the session than drop them back in and risk loosing the shoals I will have patiently built up in the swim

I cannot see for the life of me how using one while fishing alone will either increase mine or other persons chances of picking up any sort of bug, if anyone has a valid reason or explanation into this please enlighten me ???

Last edited:

snipersid

Open question - do the angling trust dictate the rules, the Gov or the fisheries? And how many pleasure anglers on one pool quantify a gathering?

nejohn

Site Supporter
As my Club has no restrictions on the use of Keepnets on certain waters

Im quite happy to use one within their published guidelines

being a silvers angler and my quarry is primarily roach and rudd, i would prefer to retain those caugt fish for the session than drop them back in and risk loosing the shoals I will have patiently built up in the swim

I cannot see for the life of me how using one while fishing alone will either increase mine or other persons chances of picking up any sort of bug, if anyone has a valid reason or explanation into this please enlighten me ???
Mick, I think it is another way of stopping the gatherings before and after matches.....no keepnets= no matches= no gatherings, a sort of roundabout way of enforcing the no matches instruction

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mick, I think it is another way of stopping the gatherings before and after matches.....no keepnets= no matches= no gatherings, a sort of roundabout way of enforcing the no matches instruction

thank you, though It will be patently obvious to any observer, that I will be pleasure fishing and not part of an organised event,

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have to say that I rarely use a keepnet outside of matches. I have never thought it affects what I am catching to just return the fish.