Match Fishing Dorset

MarkW

Anyone match fishing in Dorset? Is so where? I fancy giving it ago :)
I no longer match fish but living in Dorset did a great deal previously. Much of the club match fishing hardly exists but Sturminster Newton club still quite active and I believe Dorchester DAS also active. Other big clubs struggling to keep going (CAC used to get 60 on club matches). Small opens at Todber Manor, Revels and Whitemoor.
Whereabouts are you?

Somersetlad

I no longer match fish but living in Dorset did a great deal previously. Much of the club match fishing hardly exists but Sturminster Newton club still quite active and I believe Dorchester DAS also active. Other big clubs struggling to keep going (CAC used to get 60 on club matches). Small opens at Todber Manor, Revels and Whitemoor.
Whereabouts are you?
I suspect the reduced number of people fishing club matches is general, I know of several clubs that used to run a full calender of matches, including coach trips, but now struggle to get more than 12-15 anglers on a Sunday. The convenience, of breakfast then parking behind your peg on a commercial, where you're almost certain to catch is much more attractive than a long walk (and a DNW) on a river.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The places already mentioned and if you aren’t too far from Somerset, loads of matches at Viaduct and many other venues.

snappyfish

Thanks for advice, in Bournemouth myself, Todber Manor seems the most frequent with open matches every Saturday.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I lived in Bournemouth for a year when doing my masters and still visit quite regularly. If I lived there now I’d have no time for lake matches with the stour, Avon, frome and the sea on my door step that’s for sure! Dorset is probably the only county I’d even consider leaving Oxfordshire for with all the fishing on offer down there.

snappyfish

I lived in Bournemouth for a year when doing my masters and still visit quite regularly. If I lived there now I’d have no time for lake matches with the stour, Avon, frome and the sea on my door step that’s for sure! Dorset is probably the only county I’d even consider leaving Oxfordshire for with all the fishing on offer down there.

Thanks, I'm a all rounder, will fish rivers, lakes, the lot :) Variation is key.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Very true, with the wealth of venues you’ve got down there fitting it all in will be the challenge! You’re very lucky indeed :)

MarkW

Very true, with the wealth of venues you’ve got down there fitting it all in will be the challenge! You’re very lucky indeed :)
The grass often seems greener. Poole/Bournemouth/Christchurch traffic is on a par with that around Oxford and the venues can be just as frustrating. The Frome is barely fishable most winters and the fishing is a mere shadow of what it was. The Stour is good in parts but often a tough proposition and the Avon is largely unavailable but has its good points. All three rivers currently over the babks. I used to enjoy staying in Wolvercote for 1 to 4 weeks every year, fishing the Thames, Seacourt, canal and one or two local stillwaters. The fishing could be excellent although I picked when I went to stay, usually July and September, rarely in winter. I've done more winter Thames fishing since I retired but it's a long day out and I've had mixed results from blanks to bonanza. We seem to have more stillwaters in Dorset and the Ringwood area with a good variety of fishing with sea fishing as a bonus.
The river match scene is mostly gone; back in the day we'd fish 120 peg winter leagues and annual Xmas matches on the Stour. These vaied from dace/roach bonanzas to nightmares with most anglers blanking. I only ever fished about 6 matches on the Avon and rarely caught much. The Frome was good at one time in matches though could be a heart-breaker on the bad days.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Oh yeah I only say consider, in reality I don’t think I could leave Oxfordshire, for its general niceness and accessibility to the rest of the country as much as the fishing.

And yeah the proper Thames season is beginning of July to end of October for me, it’s pretty hard to have a bad session in those months if you roughly know what you are doing. I’ve had good sessions in June and November as well but those months are usually a bit early and late respectively and the winter months are often very hard unless you fish in the towns. Sometimes there’s a bit of a boost in the last couple weeks of the season if it’s warm and dry though.